Sign in to follow this  
Apex Effects

Project EFRSTY m30 turbo powered e30

hey people ive just aquired myself a gud old m30b28 an am after some parts to making it into a m30b30 turbo.

any help would be great

objectives

its just going 2 be a street car

just want it for the sake of having it

already started susing out parts(alternator, starter, gearbox)

just after the rest of the stuff an advice on wat to do's an donts

anint worked out a total budget yet just going 2 c wat parts are going for an go from there.

it will be a slow side project so if ya wanting 2 see a final project u will be waiting awhile lol

cheers

shaun

- low compression 90mm pistons and cylinders and rest of stuff to rebuild the bottom end

- head gasket

- turbo manifold and downipe

- turbo, intercooler, wastegate (maybe), blow off valve

- bigger injectors

- aftermarket computer

- dyno time or AFR gauge

- blah blah $12,000+ unless you do a lot of stuff yourself, blah blah

- commas, and fullstops.

- spell check

A review of this thread:

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....93&hl=turbo

Which I notice you posted in:

hey dude speaking from expeirence of walking down this path before. dont do wat i did an have second thoughts and sell up. i found someone that could get me a basic setup made here in tauranga. they were after a min of 7k to do it. which included, specific sized turbo for my motor, piping, stand alone ecu(microtech) exhaust, bov, wastegate running al for 7k. i sold up cos i was impaiticent(sorry for my bad spelling) an wanted the turbo kick now! now ive got myself a nissan 200sx RPs13 running a rb20det(running but not road legal) and im still no closer to having my daily driven turbo car yet. if u realy crazy bout your bimmas like i am dont sell. i will buy myself bmw soon(when my budget allows lol) most likely a prefacelift(realy liking the chrome bumpers an NO ABS! sorry im a drifter an abs aint your friend when u r 1 of those). an bout the turbo setup i would give u the guys number if i knew wat his new 1 is as he has moved. it was Green Brothers(in meleme street int tauranga but i think they have moved 2 the mount somewhere) they are more knowen for tinkering with rotarys but they said they could do it so i guess it is a start. and if ya are a tauranga local do not go 2 speedfactor when it comes 2 bimmas they dont know them! period! they were saying a rb25det wouldnt fit in my old e30(another option i explored) where as the rb30'd e30 by magwhere house proves its doable an there was a guy on the fourms with a 320 with a rb20det in his it look a tight squease the way he did his but it worked. so after al my ranting an raving. my advice is DONT SELL! save up. im sure u will love the result once its complete :D

Edited by CamB

yea i guess id be spending alot. an as for pistons the bore on the block i got is aparently 86mm according 2 brents lil magazine so i duno wat to do there. he told me that 730 pistons rods an crank should go in but i duno. i in planning so more research is being done.

- low compression 90mm pistons and cylinders and rest of stuff to rebuild the bottom end(?? not sure if these will fit my block)

- head gasket(esential in any power build)

- turbo manifold and downipe

- turbo, intercooler, wastegate (maybe), blow off valve

- bigger injectors

- aftermarket computer(microtech maybe, wat ever does the job well)

- dyno time or AFR gauge

- blah blah $12,000+ unless you do a lot of stuff yourself, blah blah

If you're going to be spending on a turbo build, the last thing you need is a little 2.8 block to start with, free or not. Why not go to an E34 3.5, low compression to start with, and go from there? there are 3.5 blocks on Tm for around $500 most of the time, surely a better base? Would be talking to Marty if you're at all serious?

why not just get a B35? exact same amount of work, minimal extra cost and much more power...do it

wow i love negative critasism. its so fun to listen to.

next time i wont ask for help or parts ill just tinker in my garage by myself.

Hi Shaun, you asked for any advice, and that's all you're getting, no one's said, don't do it, we're just suggesting more economical alternatives, the E34 block is much easier to get and to get parts for. My 2c.

Hi Shaun, you asked for any advice, and that's all you're getting, no one's said, don't do it, we're just suggesting more economical alternatives, the E34 block is much easier to get and to get parts for. My 2c.

well i thought that a 3 litre would be enough. an i like a challenge. i have heard there are more parts avalible but surey m30b30 parts are still avalible? personaly i think it al comes down to wanting to be different.

no dramas mate,

i think you can push more pounds of boost in a smaller block,cylinder sleeves are thicker.

do check the comppression though.if its too high you can go for the cheap option; and

get a thicker MLS gasket

custom pistons costed me 1700 odd $$.

it is possible,with alittle porting and imagination,to turn the exhaust mani upside down.

giving you a top mount.

that or using e32/e34 manifolds,again upside down and paste on flange.

few guys have done so in the states.check mye28.com

I just googled the bore and stroke for M30s and it looked like the stroke is the same but the bore is bigger on the 3 litre. I could be wrong.

The guys above are just trying to be helpful - there really is no replacement for displacement. I don't know much about M30s but if there is an engine which has a crank trigger (a 3.5?) which is compatible with Microtech/Link/Stinger/others then this would save some of the effort elsewhere in the build. In my opinion, you are best to try and find an engine which hasn't done too many km, and has a compression ratio of under 9:1 (and pref under 8.5:1), and try and use that without opening it (not even a new head gasket). The engine should be ok for low boost with the standard head gasket. Opening the engine is expensive - new pistons, bearings, gaskets, etc.

The more modern engine may have more appropriate fuel injection etc too - more stuff you can avoid having to find (especially fuel rail).

Start having a look at www.e30tech.com through some of the FAQ/Sticky threads and project threads. There is heaps of good info there - mostly on M20s - but to be honest an M20 turbo is more than enough IMHO so you could also consider that.

i have considered the m20, i was just given this motor so thought id have a crack. an yea i will look into the e28 stuff an e30tech. but yea compression will need 2 be dropped id say. an the engine had average kms. has a cracked sump pan at the moment is minus alternator, starter an exhaust mainifold. well at the moment i wana clean it up set it up 2 handle the turbo then worry bout how to mount it in a e30. sure that might be a logical thing to account for now but its sitting on my garage floor begging to be cleaned an improved. so from wat ive read so far. brent says i can use m30b30 crank pistons an rods to increase my displacement to 3000cc(i like the ring e30 330 has to it) so i after is this true as his pictures of his book on m30's says the m30b28 has same stroke an different bore. 86mm in the 2.8 aposed to 89mm for the 3 litre. so i after hard facts on is it doable. just a non turbo 330 e30 would be cool but turbo is too tempting. so here i am stage 1 clean up engine, increase displacement, lower compression, stregthen it, then mount it in a car an run it in. then colect the turbo parts after i have the car running.

so my question is does anyone have engine parts out of a 730?

If the book says 3 litre is 89mm then chances are it is 89mm.

One other thing to remember is that an M30 is a tight fit on an E30, and an M20 turbo is a tight fit on an E30, so an M30 turbo is a very, very tight fit.

ditch the aircon pump and a stack of room opens up.low mount turbo is a god option.not

100% on the oil drain front,but imagination is the key to all projects

There is a huge horsepower m30 turbo in E30 on this forum. Can't remember his username?

damo and/or the poster above you Andrew.

The thing is, I'm not picking GASTKR as good on the DIY front (no offence - neither am I) so as soon as you're paying for fabrication etc it starts getting expensive fast. The trickier (be it space contraints, high power levels, whatever) the job, the more chance of a ridiculous cost blowout.

The thing is, I'm not picking GASTKR as good on the DIY front (no offence - neither am I) so as soon as you're paying for fabrication etc it starts getting expensive fast. The trickier (be it space contraints, high power levels, whatever) the job, the more chance of a ridiculous cost blowout.

your quite right,if is going to be done on a budget,DIY is everything,or the numbers ($) become unrealistic.

I just finished adding up the receits,so far,i'm hoping its going to be worth it :wacko:

your quite right,if is going to be done on a budget,DIY is everything,or the numbers ($) become unrealistic.

I just finished adding up the receits,so far,i'm hoping its going to be worth it :wacko:

well i at build the motor stage/planning. so lets see where can i get some 730 pistons, rods and a crank from?

a low mount manifold would be cool if its needed to make everything fit. flip the throttle body over to the otherside of the intake manifold. so yea anyone know where to get the parts from?(pistons,rods and crank? wat cost i looking at?)

Figure out if you are going to end up changing the bore. If yes, buy a whole engine.

(edit) Yes Brent did say you need the crank, rods and pistons from a 730. He didn't say whether you need to bore the block. He ALSO recommended you start with a M30B35.

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....st&p=187849

The thing is, the crank and rods are probably the same - the pistons are a bigger bore. So ... you could just get new pistons.

Or, you could find a bigger block or just use what you've got. Both will be cheaper.

Edited by CamB

If you want to go to 3 lt you'll need to rebore. The M30 came out in 3 basic bore sizes, 86mm for 2.5 and 2.8, 89mm for 3.0 and 3.3, and 92 mm for 3.5. There are a couple of variations to this, but the common ones fall into these catagories. Therefore if you want a 3 litre, then you'll need that rebore. As far as I can find out, all the heads are interchangeable, same cast numbers right thru. I have a 2.5 head here and it's the same as my 3.5 one, just a different cam. Hope this clears that up.

If you want to go to 3 lt you'll need to rebore. The M30 came out in 3 basic bore sizes, 86mm for 2.5 and 2.8, 89mm for 3.0 and 3.3, and 92 mm for 3.5. There are a couple of variations to this, but the common ones fall into these catagories. Therefore if you want a 3 litre, then you'll need that rebore. As far as I can find out, all the heads are interchangeable, same cast numbers right thru. I have a 2.5 head here and it's the same as my 3.5 one, just a different cam. Hope this clears that up.

cheers silver fox. rebore it is ^_^ yea i know brent suggested go with the m30b35, but i just wana try it this way if it dont work out meh. ill just drop back to chucking a m20 in it an play with that. either way dont try you will never know, an as i said in a earlier post a 330 e30 sounds cool(i know 335 is just as cool but hey its bout being different) so lets go from there. ill go inquire at a local engine builder to see how much a rebore will set me back round here(tauranga) an go from there. as stated at the start this is a side project so it will be slow progress. cheers for al the possitive imput guys. an topcat i think i mite be visiting you for some parts. marty isnt it? for a alternator, starter, exhaust manifold an gearbox :D

No worries, you'll need to get your engine builder to make sure the liner's thick enough to do the rebore? Otherwise just look out for a 530 or 730 block?

No worries, you'll need to get your engine builder to make sure the liner's thick enough to do the rebore? Otherwise just look out for a 530 or 730 block?

sweet as, will do

cheers silver fox. rebore it is ^_^ yea i know brent suggested go with the m30b35, but i just wana try it this way if it dont work out meh. ill just drop back to chucking a m20 in it an play with that. either way dont try you will never know, an as i said in a earlier post a 330 e30 sounds cool(i know 335 is just as cool but hey its bout being different) so lets go from there. ill go inquire at a local engine builder to see how much a rebore will set me back round here(tauranga) an go from there. as stated at the start this is a side project so it will be slow progress. cheers for al the possitive imput guys. an topcat i think i mite be visiting you for some parts. marty isnt it? for a alternator, starter, exhaust manifold an gearbox :D

sweet as,all the bits are here,waiting for you.

if your lucky,my project will be 80% together on the engine stand.

depends on how cold it is in the shed and if i can hijack the heater out of the living room :D

as for boring out the block,can go fairly thin wall thickness.5-6mm.so plenty of steel can come out.

cheers marty