Sign in to follow this  
ecko_complex

E36 M3 Turbo Part 2

Following on from my previous thread, my car is in the process of getting a full replacement ECU and proper tuning. So this will be the tuning thread :). Since my car was completed mechanically, it went into storage for 4 months while I went on a rather large holiday to Bangkok. Since I got back I've been collecting my 10c pieces in a jar so that I can make some serious power out of the setup. Since tuning is the "secret" to BMW FI I took it to the masters of tuning; NZEFI. It has been in their shop for about 2.5 weeks now and they've got the car up and running on the new ECU. For the ECU I managed to source a Link G4 before it even came out. Most importantly it does the VANOS too.

The ECU mostly installed:

Posted Image

Ignitior:

Posted Image

Boost controller:

Posted Image

Engine bay - intake manifold:

Posted Image

The car has been up and running, but once there was a pressure test done there was a (slight!) leak discovered in some hose that goes from the intake manifold to the sump (don't quote me on that):

Posted Image

As for fueling, the injectors/pump are being flow tested and will be upgraded if need be.

It hits the Dyno next week for tuning, so expect an update with videos and Dyno print outs :).

Edited by ecko_complex

Link G4!?? you lucky fokker you. Was is given to you for final testing or something?

That box is probably an ignitor.

I am interested to hear the feedback from the NZEFI guys on whether the G4 is a good product. I email Link last week and the G4 is what is now on offer.

Edited by CamB

Also very interested, This will most likely be powering the s50b32 in the e30.

fantastic,glad your spending the $$ to do it properly.look forward to the numbers

Cant wait to see the numbers compared to mine, my car was done by NZEFI as well :)

That box is probably an ignitor.

I am interested to hear the feedback from the NZEFI guys on whether the G4 is a good product. I email Link last week and the G4 is what is now on offer.

Ah that's right, it is. The BMW ecu has one built in, which apparently is quite rare.

I got the call today, I'm up for 6 new injectors and a fuel pump (plus rewiring the fuel pump). Apparently the 6 injectors already in the motor were barely enough for it's stock power :o. I think 470cc injectors are going in, no idea on the fuel pump though.

Ah that's right, it is. The BMW ecu has one built in, which apparently is quite rare.

I got the call today, I'm up for 6 new injectors and a fuel pump (plus rewiring the fuel pump). Apparently the 6 injectors already in the motor were barely enough for it's stock power :o. I think 470cc injectors are going in, no idea on the fuel pump though.

Not uncommon for NA motor's to be running near the max efficiency/duty cycle of their injectors.

470cc isn't overly big for a 3.0L turbo motor, stock turbo 7M's & 2JZ's run 440's.

One would think going as big as sensibly (tunability) possible would be the most cost effective.

Especially when the bug bites you real hard and you want more power, more $$ again for injectors.

Eagerly waiting to see the dyno results.

Not uncommon for NA motor's to be running near the max efficiency/duty cycle of their injectors.

470cc isn't overly big for a 3.0L turbo motor, stock turbo 7M's & 2JZ's run 440's.

One would think going as big as sensibly (tunability) possible would be the most cost effective.

Especially when the bug bites you real hard and you want more power, more $$ again for injectors.

Eagerly waiting to see the dyno results.

That's what I said to them, but seeing as that bug means: new turbo, external waste gate + fabrication and a thick head gasket (or better) things are going to get exponentially more expensive from here. So I think I'll be forced to leave it as is after this. Biggest problem is that I'm not a mechanic so I can't DIY (70% of the cost has been labor so far). Not to mention things in the engine bay are already tight as a nun, I've had to loose fog lights and AC... Nice car by the way :). Edited by ecko_complex

Well here's what you've all been waiting for!

A picture of the M3 on the dyno :)

Posted Image

I may as well post the dyno sheet:

Posted Image

400RWHP and 1360 torques (what ever they may be) :o, and it's only limited by the clutch and turbo size.

And the boost graph:

Posted Image

NZEFI have done a ****ing brilliant job on this!

Edited by ecko_complex

Bloody oath. That's mean. I believe a standard one only gets 260-270hp (an Evo - is yours an Evo?). Far out that must be fast.

(edit - I see it's not an Evo. Awesome - more than 50% up on stock).

Edited by CamB

Here's a little video of it doing a Dyno pull:

M3_Turbo_Dyno.wmv

New injectors (bright green wooo):

Posted Image

Engine:

Posted Image

The blue hose is the sump breather pipe that breathes air/oil into the intake naturally, but because its FI it will put pressurized air into the sump which isn't good! So it's being re-routed else where...

Bloody oath. That's mean. I believe a standard one only gets 260-270hp (an Evo - is yours an Evo?). Far out that must be fast.

(edit - I see it's not. Awesome - more than 50% up on stock).

Nah it's not an EVO unfortunatley :(. That's 400hp at the wheels btw, which is about 460 at the flywheel ;), so about 200hp more :wub:

mmmmm Makes me wanna take the plunge! awsome work buddy :D

Edited by 328imobbin

mmmmm Makes me wanna take the plunge! awsome work buddy :D

Do it! After having to walk everywhere, having to use public transport and living on Pak'n'Save noodles I've realized it's all worth it :P.

Nah it's not an EVO unfortunatley :(. That's 400hp at the wheels btw, which is about 460 at the flywheel ;), so about 200hp more :wub:

Yep!

I don't think you need to worry its not an Evo. I think you've got enough powa.

Next problem, how well can it put it all to the ground?

I put some pretty wide wheels on the back, so the car shouldn't meet a tree too soon.

I put some pretty wide wheels on the back, so the car shouldn't meet a tree too soon.

Much traction loss in 1st or second in the dry hoofing it?

Much traction loss in 1st or second in the dry hoofing it?

I know it's different, but it wasn't an issue before the tune (100rwhp less). Now - not sure yet, I don't get the car back for a few days. There's still a bit of tidying up to do.

I know it's different, but it wasn't an issue before the tune (100rwhp less). Now - not sure yet, I don't get the car back for a few days. There's still a bit of tidying up to do.

I see, well good job. Awesome work you've done.

Pshhh sif turbo, I'll still line you up :P!

So keen to see it, good effort Matt.

p.s. I thought the 3.0 model came standard with 286hp?