Sign in to follow this  
ecko_complex

E36 M3 Turbo Part 2

Nice thats about 120hp and 250tq more than mine, should tick along very well, I still want a drag :)

what a beast! cant wait to see it at a meet.

should charge $10 for a ride or something! haha im sure theres afew keen people :P

should charge $10 for a ride or something! haha im sure theres afew keen people :P

Haha, I for one am.

Well I got the car back today, and holy hell I've never experienced anything like it before. Everything is a complete blur :mellow:. Amazingly traction is not an issue what so ever, only hard launching and hard shifting spin the tyres but given that my clutch is standard I'll be granny shifting for a while anyway :lol: .

I took it out for a bit of a spin and it's pretty much the ideal way to lose your license or kill yourself, 50-160 in 3rd gear is just shrugged off within seconds (don't ask how I know).

Nice thats about 120hp and 250tq more than mine, should tick along very well, I still want a drag :)

Haha yeah, should be a interesting race given that your car would way about a million kg less :P.

Very nice! I'm guessing you'd be the only one in NZ atm with your specific setup?

As far as I know :D.

True, I actually managed to sell a few rides tonight. Hmm, could turn this in to a business :D.

Haha, I for one am.

it'd be like fire engine rides at a school fair all over again...but waaaay cooler B)

Nice one mate,great numbers for a low boost setup.

having 12 more valves really makes a huge difference.

two thing though;

1.watch the wear etc on engine,gearbox and any other rubber mounts for that matter.

2.welcome to the land of FI :D

Good to see the stand alone working. And nice numbers too! Congrats

I dont want to be a kill joy here. I really hope the guys have got it all set up right for you..... I really do.

The only reason I'm saying this is because all the BMW's Ive experienced with blown engines, its always No5 or No3

cylinders. Dont know why though.

Hope they got it all right though.... for your sake. M3 engines dont come cheap, and youve really stuck your neck on the block with this one.

Hope its all good though

Cheers

Glenn

hey glenn,

Define 'blown engine' please.

example: busted rods, melted rings, thrown bearings ?

Im sure they have tuned it with a good safety margin. The figure on the two graphs look pretty tight. close to full boost at 3000rpm is pretty dam good.

Amateur Question - On the dyno sheet it shows 1300 foot pounds of torque? That converts to just over 1800 newtons?? Am I a thinking right?

1800 newtons of torque!! thats like a small tank!! plus std gearbox and clutch? Oh my!!

hey glenn,

Define 'blown engine' please.

example: busted rods, melted rings, thrown bearings ?

Im sure they have tuned it with a good safety margin. The figure on the two graphs look pretty tight. close to full boost at 3000rpm is pretty dam good.

Blown= as in a leg out of bed :rolleyes:

Amateur Question - On the dyno sheet it shows 1300 foot pounds of torque? That converts to just over 1800 newtons?? Am I a thinking right?

1800 newtons of torque!! thats like a small tank!! plus std gearbox and clutch? Oh my!!

gotta divide that figure by the final drive ratio, which should be 3.15, so closer to 570NM, which still seems very high so they might have done the run in 4th gear (1:1.24, 5th is 1:1 in an M3), meaning its closer to 460NM.

Edited by Mike

Cheers mike :)

Makes alot more sense now, still must pull like a school girl with a fake id.

torque is alot of talk

think its difficult to accurately measure.

not only between hub and roller dynos, but the equations that go with it.

my red e28 was plotted at round the 800nm plus in forth

then it made 1000nm in third gear.at this level i would expect the cogs to fly out the box.

it went like the clappers and ive never sat in a torque monster to compare,so how would i know.

other then my bum-o-meter

Edited by BM Weapon aka topcat

If the engine blows up, it blows up. But it's not looking likely, many many experts have said the engine could run 14psi all day (not that I'll test this). There's a race car M Coupe with the 3.2L engine (which has higher compression ratio) which was also tuned by NZEFI that's running more boost than my setup with standard internals and I'm yet to hear of anything happening to it. In the end I don't really care if it does blow up, I've already got my next project lined up :P.

As for how things are running... Well, I went to a track day with crazyarab and lasted about 5 laps until the clutch packed up and started slipping above 4,000 rpm. The clutch was on its way out anyway so I'm not too upset (but flippin oath they're expensive :(). A new (uprated) clutch is on its way so that will fix that ^_^.

Edited by ecko_complex

IM KEEN:)

Just a wee update in case anyone cares...

I was using the standard clutch in my car for a while, it survived great... For about 30 seconds.

I put off getting a new clutch for a while as I knew it was going to cost a fair bit of money and mean no car for a month or so. But I finally bit the bullet and sent the standard clutch up to Auckland to the guys at Autoclutch.

They rebuilt the standard clutch/pressure plate. There is now double the clamping force (1700lbs is now 3300lbs) and the clutch plate is brass lined (which is better than kevlar!) so it will certainly bite now :D. They also built a whole new flywheel, which weighs about 1/100th of the standard one. An A+ job from those guys!

A few other clutch related parts are being replaced too. A wee tidbit of information: the E36 m3 clutch pedal is plastic, not metal (to save weight). Those M boys sure are clever :P.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next step: killer brakes.

Edited by ecko_complex

And the million dollar question - how much?

$1400 isnt that bad I don't think??

Let us know when you have it all running...possibly take some more vids? :P

Nice one!! Will be good to see what it can really do on the track now, now.... whens our next track day?