Sign in to follow this  
bmpower

My E30 325i

So i got this a few months back, then decided last month to sell it. I was keen on selling mine and getting 'togates' one! So obviously that didn't happen and i was left with a dilemma, sell mine and try and find a 2.5 man coupe, or continue with this sedan! And i guess it was a case of 'better the devil you know' in the end!

The car is a 1986 Nz New pre/fl 325i manual sedan in burgandy with beige interior, 238clicks.

When i bought it, the first thing i did was get the rust removed from the sunroof/roof, and round both rear taillights and re-painted the whole roof and majority or rear guards.

I then picked up some 17" Ac Schnitzer reps for a good price and put them on - they may be changed in the future....

After getting a wof check it was going to fail on rust in both sils, water in headlights, cracked power steering belt, rear tyres (bottlecaps at that stage), hole in exhaust. So after much thinking i decided to go ahead with sorting it all out!!

So inbetween me deciding to keep it, some **** reversed into me in BP of all places, denting the front right guard (not too major). It was a bit of a hassle but in the end he and his insurance paid for it. So while the car was in the panelbeaters i thought it would be a good opportunity to get the rust in the sils sorted out! To make it a bit cheaper i pulled out most of the interior and then discovered all the rust in the passengers footwell/firwall!

Got the car back this week and now 'should' be rust-free!! Next on the list is to have all belts/tensioner changed, new oil filter and oil. Just after getting it i threw 6 new plugs in. After that will be the exhaust, for which i have a set of headers coming which will bolt up to a brand new exhaust system and back-box (haven't decided what set-up to go with yet). Then finally put in the H&R springs i got from Keith last month!!

Below is few of the 50 odd pics the panelbeater took for me of the rust!

post-1740-1218189256_thumb.jpg

post-1740-1218189283_thumb.jpg

post-1740-1218189306_thumb.jpg

post-1740-1218189329_thumb.jpg

post-1740-1218189355_thumb.jpg

post-1740-1218189384_thumb.jpg

post-1740-1218189409_thumb.jpg

post-1740-1218189438_thumb.jpg

post-1740-1218189468_thumb.jpg

post-1740-1218189494_thumb.jpg

post-1740-1218189521_thumb.jpg

post-1740-1218189547_thumb.jpg

post-1740-1218189576_thumb.jpg

post-1740-1218189606_thumb.jpg

post-1740-1218189633_thumb.jpg

post-1740-1218189670_thumb.jpg

post-1740-1218189700_thumb.jpg

post-1740-1218189726_thumb.jpg

post-1740-1218189754_thumb.jpg

post-1740-1218189778_thumb.jpg

Edited by bmpower

A couple of pics of the said car - were taken quite at least a month ago - will take some more soon.

post-1740-1218190084_thumb.jpg

post-1740-1218190105_thumb.jpg

post-1740-1218190144_thumb.jpg

post-1740-1218190230_thumb.jpg

post-1740-1218190293_thumb.jpg

post-1740-1218190317_thumb.jpg

That looked like quite a bit of rust, good on you for fixing it and saving the E30 :)

The reps are cool, I can't wait to see it dropped too.

Oh and nice color

That looked like quite a bit of rust, good on you for fixing it and saving the E30 :)

The reps are cool, I can't wait to see it dropped too.

Oh and nice color

Yeah there was quite a bit Max, hopefully i got it all! Although i'm sure i'll find some more in the future. I've got a real soft spot for this car now, so i had to save it in the end!

Yeah i think dropping it a bit will change it completely! Oh and i also put in a blackout grill, and have eyebrows for it too! Thanks Mike for those! (323e30)

Edited by bmpower

Great work for saving an E30.

Love the AC reps.

Can't wait to see the lower stance over those ACS's. Phat.

Yeah good work saving it, makes me glad mine doesn't have any :P

Can't wait to see the lower stance over those ACS's. Phat.

Yeah it should look a bit better when i get round to putting them in. The exhaust/headers are next on the list along with changing all the belts/tensioner! Then springs will probably go in!

Oh man thats worse than mine mate.... I found mine rusted around the rubber grommet that all my fuse wirese come through from the fuse box...

What did you need to strip away to weld a new plate in? Sux my car fills up deep puddles! What did it cost to have all the rust fixed?

Be good to see what becomes of her :D

Oh man thats worse than mine mate.... I found mine rusted around the rubber grommet that all my fuse wirese come through from the fuse box...

What did you need to strip away to weld a new plate in? Sux my car fills up deep puddles! What did it cost to have all the rust fixed?

Be good to see what becomes of her :D

Haha yea it wasn't too good! ....i cursed for many hours after finding it all in the firewall/footwell! But i got it fixed and i wouldn't have it any other way! I have a smile on my face everytime i drive it!

I'm not sure what you 'need' to strip away - i left it to the experts! I just pulled out the superficial stuff seats/glovebox/plastic etc, and pulled up carpet but not right out. I didn't touch any wiring/mech stuff.

The bill for this lot of rust - for the sils and footwell came to just under of 1k. I'd already paid out just short of $600 for the roof/sunroof and rust round tail lights to be done and repainted. So the rust bill so far is about $1500.

Edited by bmpower

Yea I knew of the rust problem when dad owned my car but thought he had fixed it. Turns out only temporarily lol with silicon RTV

I know the feeling dude im the same with mine but wanting that extra power there which will be awesome, you got any plans mechanical wise? or just gonna leave the engine stock?

Hmmm im can strip most the stuff away and my mate can weld up the hole so hopefully he doesnt charge me to much haha!

So that cost included painting also or?

We should organise a bimmersport welding course. A mate is doing one now says its great, im very tempted.

Welding is probably the most manly skill out.

Yea I knew of the rust problem when dad owned my car but thought he had fixed it. Turns out only temporarily lol with silicon RTV

I know the feeling dude im the same with mine but wanting that extra power there which will be awesome, you got any plans mechanical wise? or just gonna leave the engine stock?

Hmmm im can strip most the stuff away and my mate can weld up the hole so hopefully he doesnt charge me to much haha!

So that cost included painting also or?

Funnily enough my one had been 'temporarily fixed' too, which made it worse - hence all the lower rust!

If you can take all the stuff out yourself it will make a huge difference, means they don't have to spend time and your $$$ taking it all out and putting it back in - the panelbeater spent a day alone just on the firewall rust.

If you are going to do it yourself make sure you find the source of the leak at the same time - otherwise it'll keep happening and maybe worse!

Yea that cost was for everything - which should have been cheaper than what 'joe bloggs' off the street would be quoted as i work in the car industry.

Mech the car is getting headers (coming next week) and a complete new custom system to go with it. Then maybe something with the airbox, again unsure at this stage. Possibly chipping of some kind, however i think my ecu is the one that can't be chipped! Oh and all the belts etc to be changed. I'll see how she goes with the headers and decide from there i think!

I did consider an engine swap, but can't be bothered with the hassle to be honest! I have an M50B25 sitting at home... ...if anyone wants one...

We should organise a bimmersport welding course. A mate is doing one now says its great, im very tempted.

Welding is probably the most manly skill out.

Haha thats not such a bad idea, especially for those of us with e30's!

Small Update:

Have now bought all of the following ready to go into the car over the next few weeks. All brand new from Jeff Gray BMW ....$487.94!! Lucky little e30!

Power Steering Belt

A/C Belt

Fan Belt

Cambelt

Tensioner

Water Pump

Exhaust to manifold gasket w/heat shield x 2

Once this is all in then the headers from Wayne and exhaust leak fixed and finally the H&R springs from Keith, then get it to the club day at Manfield on the 4th of Oct!

Can anyone recommend someone to install all of the belts, water pump and tensioner?? Don't want to pay fortunes, and am happy for someone to do a perky. I just want it done right! Thanks.

Headers go in today and also they are fixing the hole in the exhaust! Also WOF check today - should still fail on cracked p/s belt, tyres and moisture in headlights. Belts etc to be done next week!

Can't wait to get it back and see how it goes with the headers and an exhaust with no hole!!

Edited by bmpower

Nice work Kerry

I propose a nickname for the car:

"The Burgundy Bruiser" :D

Nice work Kerry

I propose a nickname for the car:

"The Burgundy Bruiser" :D

Thanks Mark!

Yeah that is probably a good name - its bruising my wallet! Haha! So far the grand total of what i have spent on it, without the purchase of the car is just over $4k!!! But it'll be worth it!

Just need a bimmersport sticker or 2 now!!

Edited by bmpower

There may be one more place to check for rust as I just fixed mine similar to yours, although not that bad, go higher up past where the cables go through the firewall to where the fusebox bracket is spot welded to the firewall. It's a real PITA to check but I had rust there as well and it's a reall c**t to fix if you don't take the fusebox out which is an even bigger c**t of a mission.

There may be one more place to check for rust as I just fixed mine similar to yours, although not that bad, go higher up past where the cables go through the firewall to where the fusebox bracket is spot welded to the firewall. It's a real PITA to check but I had rust there as well and it's a reall c**t to fix if you don't take the fusebox out which is an even bigger c**t of a mission.

When they were doing the rest of the rust they did find some up there too where all the cables go through - and fixed it at the same time! Put it this way the panel beater spent a whole day just on the rust in the firewall/foot well alone! ...So crossed fingers i don't find any more for a while! Thanks for the tip though!

Headers went in on Friday - best money i have spent in a long time!! Thanks Wayne!! The throttle and power is so much smoother, more torque, and better response in general! Oh and more power!! Can't fault them in any way!

The only small problem i have is that then air con pipe is running a bit to close to the headers - so i'll try and get a new pipe made up and get it relocated away from the headers! They get pretty hot!

Car failed WOF on p/s belt and moisture in headlights, which i knew. surprisingly not on tyres too though??!!

Edited by bmpower

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE!

Had the air con pipe moved - now runs forward then round the other side of strut tower (will try post pics this weekend) So now i don't need to worry about the headers burning a hole through it!

Got the car back last night, had the following done:

New Water pump

New Cambelt

New Tensioner

New A/C Belt

New P/S Belt

New Fan Belt

New Fuel Filter

New Oil Filter

New Engine Oil

New Coolent

Tappets & Valve clearances

New Throttle to air box pipe

General check of everything else, tighten up loose bits etc.

Car has never felt better!! I have now come to the conclusing that nothing compares to the feeling you get when driving a manual E30 325i on full song thats running mint!

An interesting problem that was had was after all this had been done, the car was started, ran really rough, too rich, wouldn't idle etc. The problem turned out to be that someone had played with the afm (more than likely to compensate for the split in air intake pipe) Had to be moved 4 notches to get the car running properly and smoothly!

Now I just need to get the H & R's in, more than likely this weekend! ...Then bring on Manfield! :)

Edited by bmpower

good to know you're replacing all the good important bits instead of just making the car look cool and slamming it with crazy wheels..

did all the above as well and a new radiator - all up almost 1.3k and its transformed the way the car drives

good to know you're replacing all the good important bits instead of just making the car look cool and slamming it with crazy wheels..

did all the above as well and a new radiator - all up almost 1.3k and its transformed the way the car drives

Two words, preventive maintenance!! With fitting and new coolant etc was about 1k all up, and worth every penny. As you say it transformed the car!

After getting all of the engine work done i finally got round to fitting the -30mm H&R springs from keith (suspension) - the ride is not much harder and it isn't too low, but handles a hell of alot better!!

While fitting the springs it was decided i need some new front brakes for the club day. I decided on brembo discs and titanium stripe pads. After bedding them in and using them on the track i can safely say it was money well spent!!

Few pics of the new brakes going in...

post-1740-1223546835_thumb.jpg

post-1740-1223546870_thumb.jpg

post-1740-1223546936_thumb.jpg

post-1740-1223547040_thumb.jpg

post-1740-1223547057_thumb.jpg