Sign in to follow this  
rogan

Anyone fitted a reversing camera

e39 sedan

Have just got a reversing camera that interfaces with my stereo system. Wondering if anyone has hooked one up and if so where did they mount the camera and how did you run the wiring through the body.

Thinking above the numberplate then carve out a bit of the numberplate light for the cable to go through.

Haven't looked closely but maybe the boot spoiler is an option.

dont know if this helps but go to e38.org and they have a section for e39 and theres three retrofits for reversing cameras diagrams and pictures

dont know if this helps but go to e38.org and they have a section for e39 and theres three retrofits for reversing cameras diagrams and pictures

Thanks, has given me some ideas - bumper mount is interesting.

e39 sedan

Have just got a reversing camera that interfaces with my stereo system. Wondering if anyone has hooked one up and if so where did they mount the camera and how did you run the wiring through the body.

Thinking above the numberplate then carve out a bit of the numberplate light for the cable to go through.

Haven't looked closely but maybe the boot spoiler is an option.

Yep, I did an E39.

I did in in the bumper black strip, right in the middle, which was dead easy for the wiring - body holes and grommets exist.

But: there's a big disadvantage of the bumper mount: you have no visible reference of where the car is in relation to what is behind you. Yes, you see things. But you cannot gauge how close they are.

I'd go for the above the numberplate mounting position, and have the camera sufficiently angled with a wide-angle lens that you see the bumper. Then you can see exactly what is behind.

As for running wires, take of the boot lid lining, and you'll have to fish the wires through the rubber cable grommet. Not an easy task! Dishwashing liquid as lubricant helps...

Connect the camera to the CAM-IN input of the existing video module, which is the right-hand lump behind the rear seat on a Jap-import BMW, or behind the CD changer on a Singapore or NZ-new BMW.

If your reverse camera is NTSC, then it will plug straight in.

If it is PAL, then you need to reprogram the video module to accept PAL reverse camera. Use my NavCoder software to do this. BMW cannot - they don't have the ability !!

Then you just need a relay on the reverse lights to switch on when in reverse, and activate the rev cam input control signal.

Wiring is easy, ask if you have Qs

Edited by jochen

But: there's a big disadvantage of the bumper mount: you have no visible reference of where the car is in relation to what is behind you. Yes, you see things. But you cannot gauge how close they are.

I'd go for the above the numberplate mounting position, and have the camera sufficiently angled with a wide-angle lense that you see the bumper. Then you can see exactly what is behind.

Good thought

As for running wires, take of the boot lid lining, and you'll have to fish the wires through the rubber cable grommet. Not an easy task! Dishwashing liquid as lubricant helps...

Connect the camera to the CAM-IN input of rthe existing video module, ........Use my NavCoder software to do this. BMW cannot - they don't have the ability !!

Then you just need a relay on the reverse lights to switch on when in reverse, and activate the rev cam input control signal.

Wiring is easy, ask if you have Qs

Aftermarket headie with an RCA feed so no problems hooking camera to headunit. Need a powered reversing signal. So guess I'll need a relay to sense the earthing of the cable going to the rear lights. Up front need a hook up at the gear lever to trigger the headie to camera mode. Guessing that wire needs to ground when in reverse similar to the headunit handbrake sensor. Is it easy to hook up to the reverse trigger on the gear shift or should I run a cable to the lights in the boot (cos I'm gonna have to run the camera RCA cable and DVD stacker video cables so it'd be easy to do it all at once).

Aftermarket headie with an RCA feed so no problems hooking camera to headunit. Need a powered reversing signal.

that's the reverse lights: 12V when reverse lights on, 0V otherwise. Take wire from LKM (drivers side kick panel) or from back of car (reverse lights)

So guess I'll need a relay to sense the earthing of the cable going to the rear lights.

? What for?

Up front need a hook up at the gear lever to trigger the headie to camera mode. Guessing that wire needs to ground when in reverse similar to the headunit handbrake sensor. Is it easy to hook up to the reverse trigger on the gear shift or should I run a cable to the lights in the boot (cos I'm gonna have to run the camera RCA cable and DVD stacker video cables so it'd be easy to do it all at once).

Take the reverse light wire from the LKM. Easy, and in front of car.

As to what your headunit needs: don't guess, look at the instructions.

I'd expect it to require the reverse light signal (12V from reverse lights)

Bear in mind that if you have a towbar AND the standard BMW trailer light module, then the reverse lights are automatically off when a trailer is connected. To make sure the camera still works in this situation, use the reverse signal trigger from the LKM that normally feeds the nav. This is ~6V when in reverse, 0V when in any other gear, regardless of trailler connection.

? What for?

duh, what was I thinking?

As to what your headunit needs: don't guess, look at the instructions. I'd expect it to require the reverse light signal (12V from reverse lights)

Yep, have the manual and it's a +ve feed not an earth trigger. The fuse on the loom gives it away as well. Got no intention of blowing up the headie so there's a double check before connecting any wires.

Bear in mind that if you have a towbar AND the standard BMW trailer light module, then the reverse lights are automatically off when a trailer is connected. To make sure the camera still works in this situation, use the reverse signal trigger from the LKM that normally feeds the nav. This is ~6V when in reverse, 0V when in any other gear, regardless of trailler connection.

Have got tow bar, so there goes the connection to the reversing lights. Guessing the same occurs for the reversing sensors?. I've got to take the centre console out to run the wiring so can get to the gear shift if that gives me a 12v feed as opposed to the 6v from the LKM. Is there's a 12V+ somewhere regardless of trailer connection. Can I hook to the trailer socket or does that fool the electronics and shut down the reversing lights?

I'd go for the above the numberplate mounting position, and have the camera sufficiently angled with a wide-angle lens that you see the bumper. Then you can see exactly what is behind.

Right, have reversing camera above the numberplate. Double sided sticky to the metal between the boot release and the plate light, hole drilled through corner of the plate light lens and wires into the boot through that. Ran cable across boot and through grommet into cabin. Will get onto the rest in the next couple of days hopefully.

PS: carbon powder worked brilliantly for running the cable through the grommet. Bit messy but very easy.

Yep, have the manual and it's a +ve feed not an earth trigger. The fuse on the loom gives it away as well. Got no intention of blowing up the headie so there's a double check before connecting any wires.

Use the LKM Reverse signal (RFSI) output

White/yellow wire, on pin 38 of X10177 (black 54-pin connector) on the LKM (light control module)

Have got tow bar, so there goes the connection to the reversing lights. Guessing the same occurs for the reversing sensors?.

PDC is activated by the reverse lights (I think) and thus is off when a trailer is connected.

I've got to take the centre console out to run the wiring so can get to the gear shift if that gives me a 12v feed as opposed to the 6v from the LKM.

Nope.

Is there's a 12V+ somewhere regardless of trailer connection. Can I hook to the trailer socket or does that fool the electronics and shut down the reversing lights?

Use the LKM. Even though its only 6V, it will likely be fine, as the head unit is just looking for a logical switching signal

If your reverse camera is NTSC, then it will plug straight in.

If it is PAL, then you need to reprogram the video module to accept PAL reverse camera. Use my NavCoder software to do this. BMW cannot - they don't have the ability !!

Jochen, interested in your comment above, when I did mine I could never get the camera working on reverse although it did work when connected to video input. The Camera was supposed to be both NTSC and PAL but seemed to only work on PAL. How do you use your software to change the settings and what else is required.

Jochen, interested in your comment above, when I did mine I could never get the camera working on reverse although it did work when connected to video input. The Camera was supposed to be both NTSC and PAL but seemed to only work on PAL. How do you use your software to change the settings and what else is required.

Camera will be either NTSC or PAL, not both. Unless it has a switch.

Tip: use a digital photo camera and connect it to the rev cam input. Most photo cameras allow you to select PAL or NTSC output, this way you can quickly see what your video module is expecting.

NavCoder reprograms the video module settings. NavCoder and the ibus interface are all you need. And a laptop of course :-).

change settings with the click of a mouse.

PS: some early video modules are known not to work on rev cam input. Dunno why. Maybe you have one of these duds...?

Edited by jochen

Thanks for all the help. Triggered off the LKM (white/yellow wire). All working well.

Hardest part was running the RCA and trigger from the back seat to the headunit.

On 8/20/2008 at 7:37 AM, jochen said:

... White/yellow wire, on pin 38 of X10177 (black 54-pin connector) on the LKM (light control module)...

NB. Is X10117 on E38/39.  No idea on E46.  Different LKM?

Just reading through this topic, I know a bit old now but I'm going through the process of installing one in my 96 E39, I've purchased a reversing camera from the WISH website that replaces one of the number plate lights. This still has a light built-in, just an LED one instead of the original bulb. What's making my job more difficult is I'm upgrading to the widescreen display from the standard, which means having to install the video module and loom to the front and a heap of other stuff. Has anyone else attempted this conversion before? I'm not interested in getting the navsat running, I have a phone if I get lost :-).

Would love to hear your thoughts.