Sign in to follow this  
Forrest

Road Legal Track Car on a Budget

Initial application is $65 plus any charge from the inspector, and then renewal is $45 per year.

I wouldn't recommend Harnesses AT ALL for daily driver purposes. PITA. Honestly.

And yes I do get the stare down by cops :S Although, I think it is more due to the fact I look like I'm 12 and my seat is mounted an inch off the floor.

Thread hijack @ Forrest: Also, would you be looking at a brake upgrade? PM me.

edit: My inspection for Authority Card was free. But this was probably because I was due for a cert shortly after.

Edited by JiB

My inspection for the Authority Card was also free.

Mine have all been free as well, but some have been charged I believe.

Update:

Started the fun job of taking the drum rear end out for the disc rear end swap. Have disconected the brake and handbrake lines, just havn a b*tch of a job undoing the trailing arm bolts, barely have any

room for a socket..thought a long arm bar with a socket and a cresent spanner may work..anyone have any recommendations?

Also wire brushed the new exhaust to be repainted, then will take to pit stop to get it welded to my m40 exhaust flange.

Repainting the A pillar today since its a sunny day and a final coat of primer on my 'repaired' bootlid b4 i can repaint it. Also doing the above to my now rust free battery tray.

Regarding the above post I will just keep the standard belts for the moment, would prefer to see behind the car when reversing lol.

Also does anyone know where I could pick up battery cable/appropriate gauge wire, for me to wire up the battery kill switch.

Progress is going real slow of late. getting frustrated.

Andy, let me know what the status is of the bilsteins otherwise ill just try find another set..

Till next time, Nathan

Edited by Forrest

Have you dropped the trailing arms, the shocks and the shafts, also I had to remove the petrol tank hose where it goes into the tank, made it a bit easier? Should have plenty of room then, have done 4 or 5 that way now.

Have you dropped the trailing arms, the shocks and the shafts, also I had to remove the petrol tank hose where it goes into the tank, made it a bit easier? Should have plenty of room then, have done 4 or 5 that way now.

Yeap have removed the springs, shocks and disconnected the driveshafts, will have a go at the fuel hoses first. Thanks for your help

I wired my kill switch straight through the ignition, cos apparently with some cars if you just kill the battery it can keep running off the alternator sometimes, or fry your entire circuit... i just didnt want to take any risks

I wired my kill switch straight through the ignition, cos apparently with some cars if you just kill the battery it can keep running off the alternator sometimes, or fry your entire circuit... i just didnt want to take any risks

what kind of wire did u use for that? just bog standard? just spliced the iginion wire yeah?

Yep, just 3 mm auto cable from supercheap, and just spliced the green wire on the ignition... took 2 tries to find the right wire, but if u stuff up its just a matter of reconnecting the cut wire.... seems to work, when the engines running it kills it, and when you try to start it the only thing that goes is the starter motor... no ignition, and no fuel

Attempting the above today ^

Also have ordered nolathanes all round with offset front control arm bushings :P

Need to order new spring pads and a diff mount donut and thats all set..

Degreasing and wire brushing the disc rear end today in preparation to put it back in the car :)

Slowly slowly coming together

Also have ordered nolathanes all round with offset front control arm bushings :P

Jealous.

I only have the CA bushes, and they made hella difference. Guessing the full kit would be choooice B)

Jealous.

I only have the CA bushes, and they made hella difference. Guessing the full kit would be choooice B)

Too be honest I didnt do sway bars just cos money isnt flowing thru the door ryt now, wil do it later

How'd you go with the killswitch? sorted it out?

How'd you go with the killswitch? sorted it out?

Im doing it today, where is the easiest way to find 'that green wire' give me a landmark so i cut the right one lol

On mine it was on the ignition barrel, top corner closest to driver... it's one of the thicker wires on there.... hopefully these cars are all wired the same and it is a green one on yours too

On mine it was on the ignition barrel, top corner closest to driver... it's one of the thicker wires on there.... hopefully these cars are all wired the same and it is a green one on yours too

Sweet cheers man, I will have a look.

1. Since its a four door does anybody know if I can get a warrent if I take the rear seatbelts off?

If you dont have the seats its illegal to still have the seatbelts in. So to remain legal take the belts out too

If you dont have the seats its illegal to still have the seatbelts in. So to remain legal take the belts out too

Thanks man, have done that :) So gutted about your car :(

Thought I better add a small update since its a beautiful day in Wellington for once.

Spent all day yesterday working on the car, bent a new center console gauge and kill switch holder out of alloy, making a lid for my cold air box, replacing all the hose clamps with bling bling new ones, wiring up the kill switch, removing the front struts and control arms.

This weekend I am picking up a new output shaft and some other bits I needed, removing old bushings and fitting the nolathanes that arrived yday into control arms and trailing arms. Next week most likely ordering new control arms (ball joints are shot), brake pads, rubber diff mount replacement and a fuel filter (do repco do these for cheap ish?)

Will put some pics up later, its too early to be playing with a camera lol.

Cheers guys, Nathan

sounds like its coming along nicely!, glad you could do all the rust yourself! saves abit of money, i've just sent my E30 in because some was beyond abit of TLC,

Yup sure did, havnt put the battery back in yet so dont know if it works lol, i hope I cut the right wire haha

So I am tossing up the idea whether to put a better ratio diff In the car while Im playing around with it. Have the opportunity to get a 3.91:1 diff for very cheap, compared to my 4:27.1 should I be able to tell the difference on the track? Still running 14 inch wheels by the way?

Opinions needed.

Cheers