Sign in to follow this  
Forrest

Road Legal Track Car on a Budget

I just changed mine from a 3.91 to a 4.10 for the race series, and i definitely felt a massive differnce.... it seems to launch waay better with the 4.10, but i guess that comes at the expense of top speed....

As per my last response on diff ratios, your 4.27 is fine unless you change the engine, and if anything a 3.91 would be a downgrade as it will offer less acceleration.*

* Note: To be fair there will be tracks on which a 3.91 may allow you to change gear less, although with a 1.6 its not like you can rely on torque to pull you out of the corners...

Bump for photo updates cause everyone loves photos :)

All this stuff consumed my weekend/what I have made/fixed/put together lately:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Two weeks today till I want it back on the road hahaha

Mean, so u can give me a ride then :P

Mean, so u can give me a ride then :P

Haha yeap slash you can roll over and help me put it all back together :P

Well i've definitely had the practice...

So what wire did you splice into?

The thick all green wire near the igniton obviously, there is another green wire with a brown or white stripe on it, so avoid that, I think thats the one Huffer cut into first by accident. Im putting the battery in this morning so can test it first before you go chopping wires up.

Sussed?

Just have to charge it lol, forgot it was flat.

Got a quick question, Retrofitting a exhaust sydwayz had mounted to his e30, was a pre facelift so the brackets/mounts are different. Can get one side of it mounted, is there any requirements re: wof to how it has to be fitted? I assume just so it doesnt fall off :lol: ???

Indecorous, if you want to fit one, cut the thickest totally green wire (there is another one close but it has a stripe on it) and wire a switch in, mine works awesome, finally got a chance to test it b4, suprised u guys wouldnt have heard it up north considering it had no exhaust on lolol

Small Update:

- First fire up in about two months today

- Spent most of the day wiring up the gauges till i ran out of wire

- Ruined my europlate, strategy to fix it is in place tho :P

- Can't undo the handbrake from the hub to install the lines in the car, someone help! i made a post in the maintenance forum

- Got some new ideas re: how I want the car to look, make it look even more racer lol

- Fixing my oil pressure sender next week

- Kill switch works :) im so glad I cut the right wire :P

- Got to trim a bit more of my new exhaust out to make it fit then take it to pit stop for them to weld up

- Still gota buy a new exhaust gasket then can get cracking putting the exhaust and manifold back on

- Still have a sea of diff oil on my garage floor

- Managed to semi push on one lollipop bush in nearly all the way till the vice cried enuf, may have to take it to a engineer/ anyone wana help me for a few beers who's got a press? #14/Paul?? I know ur a pro at it :P

- New Years is getting ever closer, potentially looking like a early jan put together and complete, wellington group we need to organise a cruise to celebrate the end to my pain

- Looking at potentially getting flamed with this statement but may look into supercharging the m40 next year :ph34r: one guy on e30tech knocked it up pretty easy so may leave that as a project to muck around with once its back on the road.

Anyway, till next time

Peace Out

Yay for new car parts...

Thanks to Paul Olson, Jeddy and The Stealer (Though I almost cried when my exhaust gasket cost me $76 dollars from Jeff Gray :( )

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

In the process of rebuilding the suspension and sway bars, installing new control arms, rack ends and tierods, cleaning up the brakes and new pads, bled etc, and finishing off the exhaust. Its going smoothly, time is now no issue, just want to get it done right the first time, managed to get alot more work over the xmas holidays so can get stuck in to buying everything I need to get it done. After much deliberation on costs etc, I am going Koni race series shocks on the front, with Bilsteins on the back, and some B+G springs all round. Should help it handle alot better. Also if anyone wants a e30 strut brace, me and Andy (bmw3) are going to order a few off ebay if anyone is keen, give me or him a pm. Will have more pics when have got all the suspension done.

Cheers, Nathan

Edited by Forrest

If you want to run in the E30 race class I thought you HAD to use King springs and Koni shocks?

Im not running in the e30 class at this stage, time and money doesnt allow it. Building this for a daily driver, with the ability to run well at track days, intermarques and some gymkhanas. My original plan changed a few months back.

Cheers

Another update, was an excuse to try out my new camera I got for xmas ;)

Rear shocks and springs are installed, and front sway bar connected to my new control arms, also my little guages are all wired up to light up, now just have to sort out the senders.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next jobs are, rebuild the front struts when the shocks have been rebuilt, refit the diff with new mount and still get round to all my bodywork painting when the weather stays fine enough <_<

Hope everyone had a good xmas! Hopefully have this done soon enough so I can stop taking up everyones bandwidth :lol:

Thanks guys, Nathan

thats a pretty decent looking seat... lol i think mine are designed for people a bit shorter than me, it gave me a real sore back on the trip to opanake for christmas.... but then most seats do when ur in them that long ae :P

Status Report:

Bootlid is bascoated, now just needs shots of clear and it is good to go.

Am potentially changing direction again to this: http://www.motorsportmanawatu.org.nz/files...ies/Startup.pdf , called the RS Cup. Looks perfect for my kind of car, until I can build a proper Race Series car. Will get a half cage installed, will mean more interior strip this weekend :P Will take carpet out etc.

Any opinions on this are appreciated, cars can't lap Manfield faster than 1.32's, 5 rounds a year, $1K set up gets overalls, helmet, licence, harnesses etc.

Am really keen to give this a go.

Cheers, guys and girls, Happy New Year.

Edited by Forrest

Carpet is out, remains of the stereo is out, wiring is tidyed with tubing to hide it, new custom gauge panel is be built where the headunit was, bootlid is painted, cleared and polished (isnt glossy enough!! see my thread in the bodywork forum).

Also do I need to keep the headlining in? Yay or Nay? It looks like more trouble than it is worth...

I removed my headlining, it's probably more trouble than it's worth to be honest. Only about 5kg+ including the sound deadening underneath?

Cheers Jon, dont think I will worry about it.

Just opened a whole new can of worms with my bodywork f**ked up. May take a leaf out of Mattzy's book and go multicoloured till I can afford a respray :P

I removed my headlining, but i had to to get rid of the sunroof.... wasn't too much of a mission, just use a real sharp knife ;)

Bits and Bobs Update:

- Naked 316i now, wiring has been covered with tubing, gauges moved to where stereo used to be.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

- Bootlid is being resprayed this week, hopefully find out when my front shocks will be available, brakes bled and pads replaced maybe next week, a 2m by 2.5 sheet of alloy for my new door cards is being ordered at a very good price thru a plumber mate, tyres getting sourced as we speak, getting a quote on a half cage for the RS Cup race series.

Also helped Max (Tastic) replace his control arm bushes and do some general tidying before he sells his e30, he even let me drive a real working e30, gave me some inspiration to keep on trucking with mine. Here is a photo of a power filled garage. Haha.

Posted Image

Cheers, Nathan

Edited by Forrest

Have you left the sound deadening in? Depending on your tolerance of NVH, I'd suggest taking it out. I filled a 20pack beer box with deadening when I stripped mine - hella noisey though.