Sign in to follow this  
Surge

E60 5-Series iDrive, Band expander

Hey all,

Wondering if the factory idrive/radio in a E60 (latest 5) has 'world radio' like the E46 3-series and if there is a way to tune it without using a band expander. The car is a Japanese import.

Cheers!

Hey all,

Wondering if the factory idrive/radio in a E60 (latest 5) has 'world radio' like the E46 3-series and if there is a way to tune it without using a band expander. The car is a Japanese import.

Cheers!

Yes, every BMW since 2001 has the "world radio".

But reprogramming the newer iDrive cars requires BMW software, cannot be done by hand anymore.

BM Workshop in Auckland offer the reprogramming service, they have all the tools. Talk to Guido.

These are the dealer "NZ/Aus" specific options programmed by BMW on my NZ new car.

825 RADIO CONTROL OCEANIA

861 CHANGE OF CODING DATA SET

864 OVERSEAS/DEALER DIRECTORY

As well as a few more options linked to the SAT-NAV.

May be of no help.. Just think of all the savings you made over a NZ new one, im sure a few hundred to change it would be no biggie.

These are the dealer "NZ/Aus" specific options programmed by BMW on my NZ new car.

825 RADIO CONTROL OCEANIA

861 CHANGE OF CODING DATA SET

864 OVERSEAS/DEALER DIRECTORY

As well as a few more options linked to the SAT-NAV.

May be of no help.. Just think of all the savings you made over a NZ new one, im sure a few hundred to change it would be no biggie.

Optionally you can leave out 825 RADIO CONTROL OCEANIA as the European control mode works much better in New Zealand (better RDS functions)

What functions would they be?? I was only aware of Radio Station name display and song title/Artist display. Are there other services that the RDS could pick up?

What functions would they be?? I was only aware of Radio Station name display and song title/Artist display. Are there other services that the RDS could pick up?

Well in Europe the TP (traffic announcement) function is there as standard.

But in Oceania I 'think' they disable TP, and let you do a PTY search instead.

Correct me if I am wrong :-)

As more and more stations add RDS, it's only a matter of time before someone starts using TP properly. And then it's cool to have.

I have RDS and TP in my car, I use it all the time, Traffic Announcements are really good. Save my bacon a few times, and lets me know what's up ahead.

There are lots of RDS services that can be used if the radio station decides to use them - they vary from station to station. Such as broadcasting the accurate time, changing PTY when the radio programme changes, using EON mode to link TP from another station to theirs, and broadcast of TMC data, etc.

However, what features of RDS are available in your car vary too according to what the car manufacturer decided what he thought would be best for you.

Hence the most common RDS features are seen: station name, TP data, auto-tune (AF) and TMC data for nav systems.

NZ doesn't have TMC (yet), that's another wonderful feature that just works sooooo well over here in Europe.

No mate , not a world radio . will require a band expander .

I disagree.

It is a world-radio, which is programmed to suit the destination region/market of the vehicle

It CAN be reprogrammed with the right tools.

Or have the antenna amplifier coded .

The antenna amplifier is the radio tuner. In the C-pillar. All-in-one on the later model cars.

sorry my bad . yes it is possible to do if you change the software in the ccc , but it has risks : modifing software may result in faults in other control units . it may even disable some systems , leading to a nasty repair bill ( i have seen it on a number of occasions ) . also , try getting a garuntee that no control units will crash as a result of the modified software .

there is one other issue , if at some stage you vehicle requires a control unit to be replaced , the vehicle will have to be programed , thus reverting the vehicle back to its origional vehicle order ( radio goes back to jap spec ) . i am refering to the bmw dealer network .

a fair amount of after market " software changes " end up back at the dealer for repairs $$$$ .

so , yes it can be done , but beware of the possible dangers . a band expander is the most risk free way to get your radio working .

Yes, what you say about SW for that generation car is true. Because BMWs software upload facility is pretty crappy.

The control units don't "fail" totally, they can be brought back to life, but require use of the proper expert tools and access to the flash memory.

The older cars were much better and more stable in terms of reflashing :-)

As for stating "a band expander ... to get your radio working" we could have a long debate about the plusses and minuses of band expanders.

Let me just say the best place to fit them is in front of the rear wheels. Then rev the engine and drop the clutch. Give the band expander what it deserves.

From a passionate radio engineer :-)

Holy thread resurrection!

what does "861 CHANGE OF CODING DATA SET" mean, exactly?

EDIT:  sorry, slightly off-topic... with respect to an e90.

Edited by Olaf