Sign in to follow this  
badman

1jzgte conversion info hunt

after the recent purchess if an e36 318is i have decided that next year i will do a conversion. the 1.8l dosnt have any power compeared to what im used to. and coming from a toyota background i already have alot of knowledge of the 1jzgte engine. i was considering a 2jzgte or a 1uz. but seems best bang for buck is the 1jzgte. they are a very good engine and can make tremendious amounts of power if done right. i'd be doing pretty much all the work myself as i feel im equipt for it.

so that said i have been researching and hunting for all the info i can find. if anyone can add anything to help with the research please add it here. i'd highly dout the bmw diff will be usable with this engine, dose bmw have a larger stronger diff that would be able to bolt up. how hard will it be to fit in a supra diff and drive shaft if need be. and from there im asuming i'll need to use diffrent hubs as another asumption bmw axels will not work with a supra diff if i have to take that parth?

the process seems aboit like this. pull stock engine, gearbox, lumb, driveshaft.

then things get abit more tricky where placing in the 1JZ, connection the driveshaft to the diff and gearbox to find where the engine is going to sit. have a mate who is an engineer come and get what he needs to make some engine mounts. mount engine, plug in all lomb, connect to ecu, do exsaust side if things. thats it in a very simple plan with out going into any detail. and with out knowing of any of the obsticasl i'm going to run into

if you would also like to go into detail about any aspects feel free to do so

Edited by badman

after the recent purchess if an e36 318is i have decided that next year i will do a conversion. the 1.8l dosnt have any power compeared to what im used to. and coming from a toyota background i already have alot of knowledge of the 1jzgte engine. i was considering a 2jzgte or a 1uz. but seems best bang for buck is the 1jzgte. they are a very good engine and can make tremendious amounts of power if done right. i'd be doing pretty much all the work myself as i feel im equipt for it.

so that said i have been researching and hunting for all the info i can find. if anyone can add anything to help with the research please add it here. i'd highly dout the bmw diff will be usable with this engine, dose bmw have a larger stronger diff that would be able to bolt up. how hard will it be to fit in a supra diff and drive sharts if need be. and from there im asuming i'll need to use diffrent hubs to bolt up with the drive shafts?

There's a medium case diff (in a 325i or earlier M3 E36) which should be strong enough if you are nice to it - I don't know if the subframe/driveshafts/prop shaft are different. In the unlikely event that you find a later M3 Evo rear end (I have no idea how much is different) the diff is a large case one which is even stronger. I'd expect fitting a different diff (eg Supra) would be quite a lot of work. I guess you'll need a custom driveshaft anyway.

I looked into it a bit. I thought the best way would be:

- appropriate 1JZ (ie with the sump at the correct end)

- a W55/57/58 gearbox of your choice (no idea on shifter position)

- 1JZ --> W5x bellhousing, flywheel and clutch plate and cover from Trade Me

Then custom engine and transmission mounts, hook up the radiator and fit an intercooler, then enter wiring hell to try and get the Toyota ECU integrated into the wiring loom. The speedo runs off the diff so no probs there. It might be hard to get a sensible water temp reading on the dash and it maybe tricky to get the tach to work (or it may just work). I'm sure there will be stuff in the engine bay that needs relocating.

I have seen pics of 1JZs in RHD E36's, so it must be possible to fit the downpipe etc around the steering components and the standard turbos must fit too, but I'd consider a bigger top mount single since I figure you might as well have heaps of power...

Not that I like RBs, but an RB might fit easier because the exhaust is on the passenger side...

E30-323ti would be your man I think. Same motor in an E30.

E30-323ti would be your man I think. Same motor in an E30.

Thought I could feel my ears burning LOL

You will definitely need a bigger diff.

A 188 medium case should do the trick(E36 325 auto IIRC), something around a 3.91 for a W5x box.

With the axles that go with it. I presume the outer CV's must be bigger than the E30's which are crap.

If not then ideally the axles and trailing arms from a E36 M3 would be better as they have bigger CV's.

But not a common find so you would have to make do.

And an LSD is a must.

For the E36 you will need a rear sump JZZ30 or JZA70 1JZ and a JZA80 W58 or JZZ30 R154 with the remote shifter to get near the stock location.

And of course a E36 Manual pedal box or DIY

In the E30 the engine & body looms are reasonably separate so integration wasn't too bad, not sure on the E36 though? Things like ABS, Traction control & Air Bags would be my concerns.

Get a 6cyl instrument cluster & the tacho will work fine, I still use the E30 temp gauge, as it has no numbers it is purely relative. Mine runs at 1/4 with a 72d t'stat, fans come on at 92d which is 1/2.

When I did my conversion there were no translated/annotated easy to use wiring diagrams, but I managed it, one can only assume it is easy these days.

Pre 1998 E36 wiring can be split. Remove E36 DME & EGS computers and loom from the system. ABS, SRS and body systems will still operate seperately. Not a big deal.