Sign in to follow this  
Old_Skool_Bmw

1990 e30 M3 EVO!!!

I found it interesting that increasing the displacement to 2.5ltrs reduced torque, traditionally increasing displacement is done to increase torque, power wise there isn’t a huge difference on the road cars. Maybe the 2.5 was built for homologation reasons and the benefits were mainly found in race form.. just assuming once again. Im good at that.

post-1048-1221716529_thumb.jpgpost-1048-1221716599_thumb.jpg

post-1048-1221716679_thumb.jpgpost-1048-1221716753_thumb.jpg

2.5 ltr prepared by BMW Motorsport.(1990)

Carbon fibre induction, enlarged oil sump.

Slider throttle plates.

NOTE: No distributer, BMW's own electronics package.

All this in 1990!

The 4 cyl started life when Paul Rosche lopped 2 cyl off the 6 cyl.

post-1048-1221769859_thumb.jpg

Edited by mr E34

Back on topic-ish:

The E30 M3's seem to be a fair bit heavier than a 325? Where is the weight? With aluminium panels, alloy suspension bits, and a 4 instead of a 6 they are still 1200kg with no options for the Evo's. And as I understand it the non-Evo's were even heavier because they had steel panels?

Is all the weight in the body work? Unless, I have my 325 numbers wrong - I thought they were 1200kg with all the options.

Also, would love to see what BMW did for aero underneath the EvoIII.

Guest SamSpargo

Did you know that the Sport Evo was available to the public (limited numbers obviously) in black or red ? The Red looks great ! There were also two known (and rumoured to be 3 or 4 ) special white ones that were given to the race drivers at the time. They had modified engines that were putting out (I am confident but not 100%) around 260 hp at the flywheel instead of 238hp at the flywheel as per the 'standard' SE.

Not to mention the silver one that came up for sale in Japan a while ago, looked so hot in Sterling silver!

sweet now back on topic, this is a good thread, I'm learning lots

Thread unlocked - lets continue this great discussion

Thread unlocked - lets continue this great discussion

Oh..ok, that is good thanks.

Well, I popped onto s14.net today (haven't done that for a while since we set up our own thing on s14 power .com) and I noticed a thread about where Sport Evo's (Evo3's) are around the planet.

What surprised me was that there was not a lot of dialogue about who knows where they exist. OK...there were guys in Ireland and UK and other Countries but one could hardly get the impression that they are significantly accounted for.

You know...maybe 3 in Aussi, a few in Ireland etc. etc.

Nothing like even close to the 600 or so that were manufactured.

And Dr. John (Germany) says that he knows of two that have zero miles and are under wraps over in Germany

It will always come down to what people perceive as desirable and therefore valuable...because if you buy it and lose interest then you are comfy that there is someone else around the corner that will pay you for the desirable car. And that is correct thinking imho.

I feel that I can say with all integrety...you would be hard pressed to find a better internationally accepted valuable E30M3 than a Sport Evolution.

Cheers to all.

I see in the latest BMW club mag its still for sale - $80k now.

So's Rolland's cabriolet. That's an entire year now ;)

No point beyond providing a heads up that the (arguably) hottest M3 in the country has had a price drop, for any non BMW Club members.

(edit - hottest road legal M3)

Edited by CamB

I've found this, which answered a couple of my questions earlier in the thread.

Link Lots of stuff on the Sport Evo