Sign in to follow this  
Old_Skool_Bmw

1990 e30 M3 EVO!!!

Going sideways in the thread here, but do you know about the italian 320is? Been looking at these for a while, basically a M325i shell LHD, loaded to M3 spec but a 2.0ltr engine. They seem to be sought after and sell very quickly.

Have a look at this one.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/694761.htm

Wank wank wank... I will never get back the last 15 minutes I wasted reading those threads!

Ever the diplomat eh Jeremy....keep it on topic please lads <_<

Guest SamSpargo

Upon further research the car I saw for sale was a Sport Evolution and much rarer than the Evolution. Has anyone seen this car in NZ??

My Dream car deffo.

Not quite as rare:

How many of each version were produced?

ECE (non-cat): 5,187 built from 03/86 thru 08/89

ECE (cat/195 hp): 3,544 built from 05/86 thru 05/89

ECE (cat/215 hp): 1,914 built from 09/89 thru 12/90*

NA (cat): 5,300 built from 03/87 thru 12/90

ECE Evolution I (non-cat): 505 built 02/87 thru 05/87**

ECE Evolution II (non-cat): 501 built from 03/88 thru 06/88

ECE Sport Evolution (cat): 600 built from 12/89 thru 03/90

ECE Europa Meister 88 (cat): 148 built from 10/88 thru 11/88

ECE Johnny Cecotto (cat): 480 built from 04/89 thru 07/89

ECE Roberto Ravaglia (cat): 25 built in 07/89

* includes the Swiss E30 M3 Cecotto edition

**includes the French E30 M3 "Tour de Corse" edition

Have you seen many down under Sam?

What makes anyone on this forum an expert anyhow, Just curious ;)

Guest SamSpargo

I'd say I've seen at least 10 M3's in the flesh down here, including an M3 cabrio, a Sport Evo, and an Evo 1 and II.

But yea, research mainly makes people right. I wasn't being a dick, I just don't like misinformation being spread.

Oh and that info is from http://www.bmwmregistry.com/ which I'd say is a pretty reliable source.

Im still dreaming about that car, I would say anyone who considers them self an expert would remember it for sale, it had a RHD conversion and was advertised in Auto Trader… Pre Internet.

Makes this black EVO look stink.

Id challenge you to fanboy-ness :lol:

Any car, it would be that red Sport Evo

Edited by Apex

Im still dreaming about that car, I would say anyone who considers them self an expert would remember it for sale, it had a RHD conversion and was advertised in Auto Trader… Pre Internet.

There where 6 E30 M3s imported and sold new in NZ with RHD conversion by Road and Track. The car you are talking about was one of those. In fact i think you will find that it recently sold again with 96ks on the clock and was still a very nice car.

The Sport Evo was called Evo 3, this last series was built with 2.5ltr engines. (238bhp@ 7000rpm)

Never seen one of these for sale anywhere.(600 units)

The ULTIMATE M3!!!!!

Will post later if i have time an Evo 3 article, all about the extensive mods. (that right drive doesn't count anymore)

Edited by mr E34

I'd say I've seen at least 10 M3's in the flesh down here, including an M3 cabrio, a Sport Evo, and an Evo 1 and II.

But yea, research mainly makes people right. I wasn't being a dick, I just don't like misinformation being spread.

Oh and that info is from http://www.bmwmregistry.com/ which I'd say is a pretty reliable source.

Cheers for that link, proves the car I saw was an Evolution II as it had the tri colour cam cover where the Sport Evo had black with red leads. It did have the wider guards and lower front spoiler but for some reason I remember it to have driving lights.

M3 spotters relief group :mellow:

Edited by Apex

I knew I recognised that driveway - the same guy sold a really nice non-Evo one about 6 months ago. I guess he upgraded to the Evo.

From Classic Car website and its old so its probably sold so don't ring the poor guy and ask about it:

I wonder if he's upgrading again ... to a red cabriolet?

Why, do you have one for sale ? I am not aware of any available so perhaps you will enlighten us all 'Cam b ' ?

For this type of car to fetch top dollar it would need to be collectable on the world-wide market, not enough demand or dollars in NZ.

Unfortunately this particular car is missing either of the things that would make the real money. It is not original, especially the RHD conversion, and there is no interesting history, racing or otherwise.

Still a real nice car, and worth more than I can afford but the GBP25k looks much better value at the moment.

Incorrect.

1) this car, when it was brought into NZ cost in excess of 120k to put on the road (and that's before I got my hands on it :-) ). That means that anyone else trying to do the same would be up for that expense...unless the regs / laws change (btw, the guy that paid for the conversion is not a dumb arse and is well known to the racing fraternity).

2) To say that it has no 'interesting history, racing or otherwise' is, with respect, a naive comment. The E30M3 Sport Evo was/is a street car so it has no racing history per se. As for interesting history ' otherwise '...well, it is internationally regarded amongst the purists as the epitome of E30M3 versions and is lusted after by many. The fact that it has a right hand drive conversion should not deter. Many UK E30M3's were converted as such by Byrds and other Companies. Nonetheless, this particular car has had all its wiring harness left in place on purpose so that IF anyone wanted to be seriously anal and convert it back to left hand drive, that is very doable.

Hope that doesn't seem like I am picking on you mate. Just wanting to set the record straight please.

Cheers.

Edited by OSCAR

I actually agree with pussytamer (despite the fact that I have a bad reputation around E30 M3 price discussions).

However in a country as small as NZ it can work both ways ---> you can find there is no premium buyer. I've got an old Porsche 911 I will eventually get around to selling once I've tidied up a couple of further things (actually did some work on it yesterday afternoon - wooohooo). I reckon the difference in price between a keen buyer who wants it and a "regular" price for it is in the region of 30-40%. There might only be a handful of people in the keen buyer category in NZ, and if none of them are in a position to buy at a given time ... I won't get the good price. Arguably it needs not just 1, but 2 keen buyers to create some price tension.

In the UK the gap would be narrower - a deeper pool of keen buyers. In the US it would be a lower price - more cars. In Australia it would be higher again - more buyers and fewer good cars... but we are in NZ.

It could be that there are only 2 keen buyers for the M3 Evo this thread is about - the last owner and the current owner - or there could be many. It will be interesting to see if it sells (the "factory" RHD one for sale by someone associated with BMW Experience motorbikes has been for sale for $80k for at least 6 months, and maybe even 12 months). Its also unclear whether Roland ever sold his restored M3 cab, although I suspect not and he may just have elected to keep it.

Perhaps ;)

Must be this:

http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread.php?t...ghlight=zealand

Definitely an interesting read. "Factory RHD conversion" might be the most accurate description!

Roland sure does like to argue, not that I can talk.

Actually I am now confused - is this the car? Or is this a different one again?

http://www.autotrader.co.nz/View/Used/BMW-...N=0&Ntk=All

Yeah, bring it Cam B...let us all know when you want to sell your M3. I am looking forward to critique your marketing ...

Id challenge you to fanboy-ness :lol:

Any car, it would be that red Sport Evo

Huh ? Makes what ' black EVO look stink ' ?

Please explain .

Edited by OSCAR

Huh ? Makes what ' black EVO look stink ' ?

Please explain .

The one that this tread is in vain of, I have now however realised that the amazingly immaculate red M3 I have been dreaming about for the last 10 years or so was an Evo II and not a Sport Evo so it technically is inferior. I still hold fond memories of that car and to me Black is not a strong colour for the E30. Personal preference. I hope you understand.

We cool? :lol:

The one that this tread is in vain of, I have now however realised that the amazingly immaculate red M3 I have been dreaming about for the last 10 years or so was an Evo II and not a Sport Evo so it technically is inferior. I still hold fond memories of that car and to me Black is not a strong colour for the E30. Personal preference. I hope you understand.

We cool? :lol:

Oh, of course. I'm really not the beast that Cam B would encourage me to be :-)

The Evo 11 is a superb piece of kit. It has the highest compression ratio in all the E30M3's (including the Sport Evo or EVO3 as some of us refer to it as) and although it is still the 2.3L and previous evolution to the 2.5L Evo 3 it is still a great car.

Did you know that the Sport Evo was available to the public (limited numbers obviously) in black or red ? The Red looks great ! There were also two known (and rumoured to be 3 or 4 ) special white ones that were given to the race drivers at the time. They had modified engines that were putting out (I am confident but not 100%) around 260 hp at the flywheel instead of 238hp at the flywheel as per the 'standard' SE.

My ex-SE (the subject car in question in this thread) is up around 289/290 hp. It is a whole different car with A/P 4 pots on the front and 2 pots on the rear (race brakes), 3.64 rebuilt diff with 50% lock up instead of the factory 3.15 with 25% lock. It has full Motec stand alone engine management with kk290 performance cams and DTM airbox. It has performance built one-off stainless steel headers and exhaust. It is not dead stock. But then if you can't enjoy a 1990 car on the track or street then go get a job dusting off the dynosaurs at the museum I reckon...

Edited by OSCAR

I'm not that bad a guy either.

Yeah, bring it Cam B...let us all know when you want to sell your M3. I am looking forward to critique your marketing ...

Which would be fair enough in the circumstances. Mind you if I was selling my car, it would have an asking price of $20k, which is slightly above what I think it is worth and in line with the prices they sell at. Hmmm, it just occurred to me you are making some sort of elitist comment about me selling an E30 M3, which I rather obviously don't have. Whatever.

Look, I'm just not a believer in E30 M3 prices like you are. I believe they are valuable, and possibly appreciating*, automobiles. I believe they are worth less than you do, as do the majority of your M3-owning peers on S14power.com (where you confess to talking up values). How much less? Dunno.

Serious question - there is a silver M3 with a cage which has been for sale in the Trademe competition cars section at $45k (for about 3 months) and now $40k (for a couple of months). Is he asking too much? Or is 6 months an acceptable timeframe to sell one?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/S...n-175981508.htm

Note * - subject to events of the past week in the financial markets not absolutely killing collectible automobile prices, which is unfortunately a very strong possibility.

Edited by CamB