Sign in to follow this  
Mattzy

Matts 1988 325i B-road Panda coloured WIP

There's the magwarehouse 30DET on the shore also, and "ashy" on here has a 25DET iirc.

Oh come on! throw me a bone! Fine, NZ's first RB25DE+T in an E30 :D

Oh look, a new video from the amazing Will Roegge and Joshua Herron!

http://vimeo.com/9477022

OT, was watching the vid above, is Dado in a Black E46 now?

How have I missed this thread since 2008!Just read all the way from my last post on page 8.

Awesome work on the car, Love the mission to the top of the north

Thanks mate!

Keep an eye on my blog. Have goodies arriving soon.

Matt Malcolm's shamelessly plugging his blog again ^_^

That 'review' of the AE86 drifitng in the forest that wouldn't happen to be the road from Kawakawa to Orere (Kawakawa Orere Road)? 288 Kawakawa Orere Road?

Looking for a new job Matt? I can't really see you as a motoring journo...

Looking for a new job Matt? I can't really see you as a motoring journo...

I actually will be when I get back from my next hop overseas!

Did you mean "Can" ? Or are you trying to stop a foreseeable trainwreck haha

Edited by Mattzy

I meant in terms of personality not ability. I quite liked what I read. Especially the simile comparing the handling to being stabbed!

Agree Bravo this is a funny read this thread, lots of new terminology and your'e an effective communicator which you need to be now a-days best of luck overseas and with your E30.

Thanks for the great comments guys.

Feel free to hit me with some more critisim. It's my first real hack at writing anything since 6th form and would love the feedback.

Cheers,

Matt

Well my uneducated opinion is: From a blog perspective it's great - especially the intro. Possible a little edgy in terms of style (not content) for magazines, but nice and fresh.

I think that whilst the simile was entertaining and you made a good point about other reviewers saying 4 out 5 etc, perhaps it was a little too left field.

Oh and the article was too short - you say you discussed the cars history etc - well...???? What mods etc, more details. The car looks great and obviously goes great too, but how about some more info on what's under the skin, other aspects (build quality, clever tricks, nice design features), and if it's been involved in any motorsport, etc.

But I'm probably the last person you should listen to - all of my writing is of a technical nature and very boring to read.

Well my uneducated opinion is: From a blog perspective it's great - especially the intro. Possible a little edgy in terms of style (not content) for magazines, but nice and fresh.

I think that whilst the simile was entertaining and you made a good point about other reviewers saying 4 out 5 etc, perhaps it was a little too left field.

Oh and the article was too short - you say you discussed the cars history etc - well...???? What mods etc, more details. The car looks great and obviously goes great too, but how about some more info on what's under the skin, other aspects (build quality, clever tricks, nice design features), and if it's been involved in any motorsport, etc.

But I'm probably the last person you should listen to - all of my writing is of a technical nature and very boring to read.

Wow, thanks dude!

I was going for an article that was far from PC and saturated with technical details. But it sounds like I didn’t add enough fat in there. I guess I need to find the balance between giant lists of alignment settings and lightly sprinkled tidbits too small to digest.

I'll make sure for the next one I flesh it out a little more on the spec side.

Appreciate the comments. What sort of stuff do you write?

Engineering and planning specifications, contracts and reports mainly :P

Like this enthralling piece:

Waitangi Bay is a tidal estuary with mangrove flats featuring on the property’s northern boundary. The property is located on the northern slopes of a dominant ridge to the south, and the eastern slopes of a broad, flattened spur to the west. Elevations on the slopes extend as much as 20m above sea level. The slopes form a north-east-facing, bowl-shaped valley sloping gently down to the foreshore to the north. Site grades range from flat areas and gentle grades (>1:10) in the valley, to grades averaging 1:3 and steepening to as much as 1:1.5 on the steeper slopes.

It is proposed that a vortex-type contaminant separator (such as the Hynds Downstream Defender®) be installed upstream of the outfall to treat stormwater from developed areas to an adequate standard. Preliminary calculations indicate that an appropriately sized Hynds Downstream Defender® would remove 90% of particles larger than 150microns with a specific gravity of 2.65 for flows from >1/3 of the 2% AEP rainfall event. For the purposes of water quality design, ARC TP-10 specifies that the treatment volume should be assumed to be 1/3 of the 2% AEP event. Treatment performance will increase with lower flows, and decrease with greater flows.

Hence my comments that I am hardly qualified to critique your work.

Edit: Probably should get back on topic, huh?

Pretty choice start. I like the freshness, reminds me of old school Clarkson (read some) - but lacking flow and coherence. Some bits have too many adjectives/bits in it - making it unnecessarily disjointed to read.

Also remember to be guiding your reader toward your point constantly - or the writing may meander.

For example, instead of:

However, it all became quickly and rapidly clear as we reached our twisty destination.

How about:

However, the car's purpose quickly became clear as we approached our serpentine destination.

My Bachelor of Arts 2c :unsure:

P.S. You have PM

Pretty choice start. I like the freshness, reminds me of old school Clarkson (read some) - but lacking flow and coherence. Some bits have too many adjectives/bits in it - making it unnecessarily disjointed to read.

Also remember to be guiding your reader toward your point constantly - or the writing may meander.

For example, instead of:

How about:

My Bachelor of Arts 2c :unsure:

P.S. You have PM

Thanks bud, I've started reading more and more about how to write properly I'm borderline overwhelmed with all the information! I don't want it to sound forced or anything unlike my personality, writing is easy. Writing well is bloody hard. My next endeavor should hopefully read a little tighter.

Will check out some of Clarkson’s work.

That 'review' of the AE86 drifitng in the forest that wouldn't happen to be the road from Kawakawa to Orere (Kawakawa Orere Road)? 288 Kawakawa Orere Road?

Thats exactly what I asked Matt when I first saw the pics on the blog.. He seems to think its not that road though.

Keep the updates and posts coming on the blog Matt!

nice dude the adams car man its still lookin fantastic hows yours coming? just the gauge so far? had that rb30 powerd e30 with the mag warehouse stickers al over it come into my work on saturday wow it was rugged as! drum brake rear(factory brakes on a turbo car? u mad?) what rb25 ya getting? r32? 33? 34neo?

nice dude the adams car man its still lookin fantastic hows yours coming? just the gauge so far? had that rb30 powerd e30 with the mag warehouse stickers al over it come into my work on saturday wow it was rugged as! drum brake rear(factory brakes on a turbo car? u mad?) what rb25 ya getting? r32? 33? 34neo?

Hey dude, probably a S1 R33 RB25, or even a S2.. whichever pops up when I'm looking to purchase really.. I'm not not looking for crazy power just a responsive 220 rwkw. Brakes are well due for propper work. Was thinking SS lines, new Master cyl, brake booster, rebuild the calipers, and some decent meat on the pads.

Also I had these bits turn up yesterday and couldnt help start bolting things on!

Posted Image

ooo double sweet 25 turbo an the same down pipe i got :rolleyes: an ya aiming for the same figures i am with my 20det haha. so it going to be streeted? or track only? or silly like me a multi purpose it