Sign in to follow this  
Mattzy

Matts 1988 325i B-road Panda coloured WIP

Looking good mate.

The front wheels wont bolt straight on.I got a pair of 9mm spacers which will give you enough room to clear the front brake. I drink Corona ;)

Looking good mate.

The front wheels wont bolt straight on.I got a pair of 9mm spacers which will give you enough room to clear the front brake. I drink Corona ;)

Hahaha cheers mate, very sneaky.

Whats the stud length with 10mm spacers on? ie do you have to rock longer studs or is there enough thread with the factory ones?

Cheers

Well, for a lil more beer I can give you longer wheel nuts for the front and the normal wheel studs for the back :D

But yeah def need a longer bolt for the fronts.

Well, for a lil more beer I can give you longer wheel nuts for the front and the normal wheel studs for the back :D

But yeah def need a longer bolt for the fronts.

Cheers mate - you have PM!

Update on parts:

HID's 8000k - Got pricing - Will purchase next week

2x SP Sportmax 195/50/16's - Waiting on more pricing - Suggestions of other tires welcome.

Spacers - Got pricing - Will purchase next week

Longer BMW Studs - Hopefully LOWNER can sort out half of these!

DIY bits:

Suspension:

Rack spacers - I may get a mate to fashion some of these. In the drifting world these are used to increase steering angle, effectively giving you more turns lock to lock. Sounds simple, but damn do they work!

Wing:

I still have the factory 325i wing in my possession which im thinking about extending it a little more with some fiberglass.

E30 diet:

I'll probably get around to pulling all the sound deadening out this week or the next.. I know it sounds rather counter intuitive doing this before interior. But im seriously struggling to keep all this interior in!.. I've just gotta pull something out!

Guards,

I started folding the lips up on the rear guards the other day. I'll be borrowing my friends guard roller to complete the flare.

Parts still to sort out (most of these are currently dictated by money)

Steering wheel - Probably get another one of these:

Posted Image

Interior gear boot pieces

Air filter & adaptor - Generic K&N pod filter etc.

Chequered floor mats - Everyone knows you need these - Straight outta' Osaka!

LSD/BMWBRO spec

Stay tuned!

Matt

DIY bits:

Suspension:

Rack spacers - I may get a mate to fashion some of these. In the drifting world these are used to increase steering angle, effectively giving you more turns lock to lock. Sounds simple, but damn do they work!

check this out.

I don't think an E36 give more turns lock to lock...just makes it quicker right?

Or do rack spacers make steering quicker too?

Cheers Antony but thats not what rack spacers do. Rack spacers will give you deeper steering angles with the added turns lock to lock.

I think generally speaking for grip racing you want less turns with the steering wheel which is why you guys wont be familar with this mod.. And why the E36 steering rack swap is so common.

Steering speed remains unchanged, your effectively lengthening the total tierod+end length which at full lock pushes the wheel out further..

Posted Image

Writeup

Obviously you can buy branded "rack spacers" But I've never had any issues with good quality washers.

You do have to be sensible about the size of the washer. Less is better in this case, as you will run out of thread and the inside wheel can violently start to wobble at full lock when sideways. (imagine tierod+end in a straight line with the hub)

/Edit

I need to pull apart the rest of the steering to confirm its feisable. But I dont see it being any different to my previous cars.

Edited by Mattzy

Sorry, should've wrote more in my last post, I understand what each do, just thought you might be interest in a quicker rack, whilst on the topic of steering.

ten points to you mate, love seeing E30's come back to life with caring owners :)

ten points to you mate, love seeing E30's come back to life with caring owners :)

Thanks for the comment mate!

It's been a while since ive updated this thread - I am still really waiting on the suspension to slap it all back together..

The HID's are in, I've sorted a few electrical niggles, tided some wiring loom, and removed all of the sound deadening from the boot.

8000k ebay crap

Posted Image

Disco Fever - lights need serious alignment.

Posted Image

Steering Wheel finally arived - need bosskit to fit.

Posted Image

I swore i'd never do it again and look what im doing! Started removing the gunk this arvo but have since put this job in the cbf'd basket for the moment

Posted Image

/Edit - PS the battery is flat... I left the door open the other night. BMW Fail.

Thanks for viewing,

Matt

Edited by Mattzy

Like the steering wheel, How much was it?

$140 - comes with genuinely fake looking OMP badge ^_^

I had the exact same one in my last car, except for the spokes were silver instead of black.

It lasted really well, and I liked the seating position the offset wheel gave me.

Orrrrsum. We should go for a rangi/sacked/low offset E30 photoshoot sometime. :D

(My wheels no longer suffer from sunken battleship syndrome)

Orrrrsum. We should go for a rangi/sacked/low offset E30 photoshoot sometime. :D

(My wheels no longer suffer from sunken battleship syndrome)

Definately dude. Touge style photoshoot - no fancy buildings or sunsets for us!

Haha and congratulations on resolving the sunken battleship syndrome :lol:

Does your E30 have its gas tank in the boot??

Some South African built E30's have a long range fuel tank installed in the boot.

Ohhh yeah like Bravos.

If only I had one so I didn't keep tearing mine apart every ditch I land in :(

Ohhh yeah like Bravos.

If only I had one so I didn't keep tearing mine apart every ditch I land in :(

You do realise if you have the SA long range fuel tank you still have a regular fuel tank, only you have a extra 15L (? there abouts) tank in the trunk also. Just so you know :)

Oh haha, my bad >.<

I spose it isn't possible to relocate the whole gas tank to the boot too..

Correct - normal fuel tank under the car, and another one in the boot - filler is a y-shape and there is a breather and anti-syphon sytem linking the two tanks.

BTW James, I got all energetic this avo and pulled that tank out of the 320 for you.

Edited by bravo

Woke up this morning with no intention of working on the car. Except for when I got up I had this spilitting headache and some nice bloodshot eyes. Thanks conjunctivitis you f**k.

So I decided to start on making all the new bits fit the old bent ones. Bumper and grill is all on and nice and straight now, front guards finally sit flush (still need to bolt back down and roll) I also swapped in the vents and other trim bits that i painted.

Photos look like my garage has exploded with tools, parts and foam!

I even mocked up the wheel so you guys can get an idea of what shes going to look like.

Posted Image

Posted Image

And another shot of the disco lights from yesterday evening:

Posted Image

Few more pics to finish off the arvo.

Fitted and aligned both guards, finished fixing & replacing nearly all the little interior things I had to do. Though I still need to sort out the inner and outer gear boots.

I also dropped my battery at a friends to get charged and the spoiler at anothers to see how fesible my modified wing idea is.

Time for more panadol and discovery channel I think.

Posted Image

Posted Image