Sign in to follow this  
sin-drome

E30 320i mods

Hey guys i just recently picked up a 1989 e30 320i for pretty cheap wanted to do some engine mods to get a bit more power out of it, i was thinking more on the lines of:

Performance chip , has anyone tried this ? where to get one ?

Cold air intake , have heard there isnt much power gains ? (but it sounds cool ) :P

Headers to exhaust system ? does this all have to be custom made?

thanks guys im pretty new to this so please help me out cheers

Andrew

m20b20 is not very popular to work on. You need more CCs.

Put a m20b25 in maybe or, even better, a m50/m52. Much better power:money ratio.

Or, build a 2.7/2.8/2.9/3.0/3.1 from your m20 and some parts from another m20. click me

Lots of guides on all of the above on the usual sites.

Best of luck!

m20b20 is not very popular to work on. You need more CCs.

Put a m20b25 in maybe or, even better, a m50/m52. Much better power:money ratio.

Or, build a 2.7/2.8/2.9/3.0/3.1 from your m20 and some parts from another m20. click me

Lots of guides on all of the above on the usual sites.

Best of luck!

thanks for all the help :D

There is nothing inherently wrong with the 320i engine that would prevent you doing some mod's to it. Only that there are a number of "better" engines that you can start from ie the 323/325. If you are on a budget then I would start with the old basics of intake and exhaust - a set of headers though expensive would be a good start though make sure you have adequate clearance between the header and the steering joint. Remember that the engine will rock on its mounts so take that into consideration when determining clearance. Couple that with a cold air box/filter and a 325i throttle body (you will have to do some low level mods to the intake manifold here to match them up properly). Make sure that everything else is up to par in terms of good ignition components etc and you will have a nicer 320i to drive. It goes without saying that you should ditch the auto box for a manual if you have one. You can also look at things like diff ratio as well. Remember though, its not all about speed off the line, make your E30 handle well by well matched springs and shocks. Lowering in the range of 30 - 45mm will be a positive move.

Edited by ducatiss

You could always Hybridize your car.. not cheap but good results. Add a pre-facelift bottom end with high top pistons to your facelift head and you will see some fairly good improvement. This requires a fair bit of work though, you can recondition either end (head or bottom end at extra cost. Its worth doing the head if your going to take it off.

Not all that good on the value - $ stakes though...

yeah its a lot of work for a road car, but gains are pretty good.

buy pre-fl 320i motor with high top pistons- $250 on tradme maybe ?

take current head - $300 worth of machining etc

new headgasket seat $120

new head bolts

swap a few bits and bobs over = fudge it all together. Prob end up costing around $1000 which is around same price as getting a zaust made.

Some people are getting 118-135hp @ the wheels with these engines.

Edited by bmw3

Same amount of effort as building a 2.7, and not much cheaper, if any.

If your keen on modding your 2ltr, don't let anyone put you off, because if you decide you want to put a 2.5/2.8 in it, things like exhaust and intake will still bolt on.

Also, if you haven't already, lowered a little bit and with some decent struts like bilstiens really sets e30's a light.

if your going to even think about going to the trouble of pulling out the motor then it would be silly to put a 2litre back in. i would upgrade to a 2.5 at least. there is a extra few hp before you start modding anything. and the torque output you feel in the pedal on a 2.5 is just non comparable to a 2.0. well thats my opinion anyway

Im liking the sound of the straight swap engine thanks for all the help guys i knew i could count on everyone on here to broaden my thinking :P

Does anyone know around how much a 2.5 engine costs ? would i have to change the gearbox ? or could i stick with my one now?( i know its an auto ):P just trying to budget things out at the moment .

i know the engine mounts are the same..correct ?

cheers

Andrew

Not sure about the gearbox. Depends on PFL or FL B25. The PFL need a flywheel sensor hole.

I have a sportshift auto box out of a PFL 325 if you want. $50

Hey guys i just recently picked up a 1989 e30 320i for pretty cheap wanted to do some engine mods to get a bit more power out of it, i was thinking more on the lines of:

Performance chip , has anyone tried this ? where to get one ?

Cold air intake , have heard there isnt much power gains ? (but it sounds cool ) :P

Headers to exhaust system ? does this all have to be custom made?

thanks guys im pretty new to this so please help me out cheers

Andrew

Gearbox only matters if you buy a pre-facelift 325 which as JiB has said needs to have the lugs for the two sensors, but realistically you would not buy one of these anyway as the later engine management is much better.

Everything else is the same, you have to move a few things around in the engine bay but its pretty straight forward, when it comes down to it I'm sure people will be more than happy to provide finer details.

Edited by QuickSilver