Sign in to follow this  
bimmer boy

car is broken.... again

do what i said and see if that works first...then worry about buying sh*t....jumper the battery as it may take a lot of cranking to get it going

Fuel filters are even cheaper from repco, nothing wrong with them either. You should try and do it yourself. From memory theres only about 4 bolts/bands that you have to undo. Just put it back on in the same order you take it off. When was you filter last done? I think theres a noticable weight difference between old and new filters.

I know this ain't the right thread, but Mike, your sig reminds me of no. 5 "no. 5 is alive"

that robot was the sh*t carl, damn i loved that movie as a kid

Fuel filters are even cheaper from repco, nothing wrong with them either. You should try and do it yourself. From memory theres only about 4 bolts/bands that you have to undo. Just put it back on in the same order you take it off. When was you filter last done? I think theres a noticable weight difference between old and new filters.

yea i dont even know when it was last changed all i know it that the last service was done on it in the middle of 2002

so i think it deffinatly needs a service and tune up

Guest Andrew

Fair enough, when i did mine for the first time the car was on a hoist with decent lights and stuff so i could see exactly what i was doing.

you did a fuel filter on a hoist? heh..

anyhow

Ryan - fuel pumps are quite expensive if you need one, fuel relays are expensive when they blow also.

Doing a "service" isn't really out of your league to do at home. You have to be willing to get your hands dirty from time to time to make the car affordable.

its all ok for someone to say that its easy to do a 'service' at home but when its someone who has never even had a car b4 doing a service i wouldnt even know wat to do and plus if a pro did it they could spot something that needs doing b4 i crash and die

dude..thats why we are telling you how to do it....otherwise its gonna cost you sh*t loads

but its your money.....

yea i do apreciate the help heaps aye and im gunna do that thing tommorow

but my dad thinks i should get it serviced at a workshop and all that until its running properly and ill just start doing it myself after that

a workshop will never give your car the same attention that you can

yea i know, but im still gunna get it serviced from a proper place just to get things in order and then ill proberbly do it myself once i become more familiar with things

I think i'm losing it aye, I'm all confused now. I remember it being underneath the car by the fuel tank. But I noticed today its easy to see with the bonnet up. i dunno, i think my memory playing tricks on me. Anyway, point is, its easy enough to do yourself (once you know where it is) :wacko: Edited by petone

Guest Andrew

I think i'm losing it aye, I'm all confused now. I remember it being underneath the car by the fuel tank. But I noticed today its easy to see with the bonnet up. i dunno, i think my memory playing tricks on me. Anyway, point is, its easy enough to do yourself (once you know where it is) :wacko:
its pretty much underneath the brake master cylinder.. on the 6 cylinder e30s at least.

Thats where it is on my car aswell. Can't think why i thought it was by the fuel tank-told you i'm losing it. Anyway, i think i did do it on the hoist having not realised how much simpler it would have been with the bonnet open. Maybe cos i already had the car up on the hoist doing the oil and filter and i just carried on to the filter. Oh well, you learn these things :banghead: .

Have you fixed you car yet ryan?

um not yet, but i have been working out stuff

i went to the petrol station and bought another $20 worth of gas so there is $30 worth in there now hopfully i will get the injector cleaner on my next day off on friday(hmm love school at the moment with all these arranged days off!)

and then try gus' trick if i hav no luck i will wait till i get it serviced

but not this weekend but next week end im booked in to get panel and paint done so i wont hav anymore rust or big hungas scratches (car is getting towed there if its not workin by thenbut hopfully it will)

looked under the engine bay today i saw what i thought looked like a fuel filter its attached to the main block bit with the 6 pipes comming off it (fully forgot wat its called) so is that it? smallish cylinder attached to a hose thats attached to the block thing???

thanks for the help guys ill keep you in the loop

ok there are two silver things. any way its not the thing i was lloking at but aleast i know where it is now

cheers

the round silver thing- there should be 2 of those screw up band things holding it on, and a hose coming out of each end holding it on. Undo those four bands and it will come out. Block off the hoses if you dont want petrol everywhere.

okay last nite i put in some injector cleaner and still didnt start but i didnt hook up my battery to another one and sort of jump start it ... is this important to do like to you hav to jump start it with another cars battery to make it work?

P.S

when i do try turn on it mkas the usual noise but doesnt turn on but the fuel consumption dial thing sways between 0 L/ 100km and the highest it goes

Edited by bimmer boy

If you want your engine to turn over you probably would want to do it...unless your battery is full of juice which I doubt by now

no one else got any other ideas?

it would proberbly easier to get it towed to BMWorkshop so they can put it on diagnostics and find out whats wrong and fix it

Guest Andrew

no one else got any other ideas?

it would proberbly easier to get it towed to BMWorkshop so they can put it on diagnostics and find out whats wrong and fix it

ain't no electronic diagnostics on that car.

What is the plug in the engine bay for then? Surely has more uses than reseting the service lights?