Sign in to follow this  
bimmer boy

car is broken.... again

okay. so i had a flat battery and i ran out of fuel so i bought a petrol holder thing and got gas from the petrol station (yes it was the right fuel) put in ten bucks worth and now the car wont start its just making the sound it make when i ran out of gas and get a bit of a petrol smell in the cabin

so does this mean that the fuel isnt getting to the engine so it cant start so does that mean the fuel pump is f**ked or fuel lines blocked

help!!!

i want my baby going again

(p.s when it did fire up it sounded like a rotory and when u got your foot flat down on the acellerator it goes real slow like 5kms and doesnt get faster and if u release the accelerator the enigne cuts out

dude that sounds more like ignition to me... you could always test the fuel pump.

Have a fire extinguisher handy - leave the battery connected so you don't make any sparks while pulling it on and off.

Disconnect the fuel return line after the pressure regulator which is after the fuel rail - front of the engine. Hook something up to where you disconnected.. a bit of hose worked nicely for us.

Whip off the fuel relay (near the air filter under a cover) and get setup to jump the connectors 87b and 30 (the numbers are written on the relay) - that will run the fuel pump. (You don't need the keys on)

Once you have all that setup run the fuel pump for 30 sec.. and according to the manual it says 875ml of fuel should be expelled..

good luck.. don't blow yourself up - that pic is taken on a pre-facelift m20 b20 so yours should look the same.

Posted Image

i know this is a HUGE as ask but doesnt anyone wanna come do this? please. i dont think i could do it without f*cking something up lol

but if not thats sweet as, its going to the mechanics next weekend anyway

Edited by bimmer boy

What is the plug in the engine bay for then? Surely has more uses than reseting the service lights?

thats what i was thinking

Ryan, STOP BEING SUCH A BITCH & BEING SUCH A PUSSY

get in there and just do it. how hard can it be. i wouldnt know half the sh*t i know if i didnt take stuff apart without knowing what im doing. im just like gus in a way (apart from the kerb thing).ask how to do it. then just do it. hit it you have too.

have you heard of the word, Please?

it goes along way.i'm sure someone will help if you ask them nicely.

the economy bar will stay at its highest because your car is stationary. when it is MOVING then it will work/move.

i'll give it a go but i will hate myself so much if i do f**k it up and it turns out it was a simple problem until i got in there and made it 10 times worse/expensive

but ill give it a go tho

this has happenend to my car b4, ended up being flooded enjectors just take your plugs out turn it over a few times clean your plugs put them back in, i bet you it wil start trust me!

(not been a difficult bitch but) is it bad if u take the spark plugs out and try start it?

ill give it a go hope it works!

Guest Andrew

(not been a difficult bitch but) is it bad if u take the spark plugs out and try start it?

umm it will just flood and not start...

Dude maybe we can look at it some weekend.

What is the plug in the engine bay for then? Surely has more uses than reseting the service lights?

It outputs some engine sensor information & ECU signals, eg engine temp, ignition timing, injector duty cycle, RPM etc. But there is no internal self diagnostic capablility in the ECU that can spit out codes to alert you to faulty components within the injection system as in more modern cars.

Right so it more just tells you what the engine is doing as opposed to say telling you that an injector is broken or whatever?

(not been a difficult bitch but)  is it bad if u take the spark plugs out and try start it?

umm it will just flood and not start...

Dude maybe we can look at it some weekend.

that would be awsome dude, but only if you want to