Sign in to follow this  
greenday-rulz21

Nick021's e36 323i update

Thought I'd post an update with all the little things I have done recently on my 323i.

Posted Image

First of all I found some black covers for the kidney grilles on Trade Me. Look pretty good on, interested in your opinions on them. I actually prefer them over whole grilles because they're soo easy to attach and remove, so much less hassle.

Posted Image

Ordered a new shift boot from BMW. Looks and feels awesome. Would recommend it if yours is worn like mine was.

Posted Image

As in one of my previous threads, I installed an armrest. Which has made the interior so much more comfortable IMO. One of the easiest and most effective interior mod's.

Replaced a few little lights in the interior. One of the ashtray lights weren't working, but after we had finished installing the armrest the other ashtray light stopped working <_< . So ordered a couple from the stealer's. You wouldn't believe how much those little lights cost! Not a smoker but I use the ashtray for coins, etc, probably the same as a lot of people so its nice having those working (they look great at night). The ashtray ones are the bigger two of the three in the picture. The one on the right has burnt out, as you can see.

The bulb had also gone behind the light switch, replaced that. The last one was the backlight in the standard analog clock. I hadn't noticed for ages, but once I had noticed it pissed me off every time I drove it. Replaced that one as well and now all lights work! :D (I think!) The little one above is the clock light bulb.

Posted Image

Another thing that had been bothering me was how useless the rechargeable glovebox torch was. So i modified it!

Posted Image

It used to run off a tiny little bulb that couldn't light a square centimeter at night :angry: , so I replaced it with 3 super bright LED's. Now its actually usable!

Posted Image

Now I think thats all I've done atm. But theres a couple things that are going on very soon.

The first of which are some eyelids.

Posted Image

Picked them up off trade me. ABS plastic, and painted red! I've had mixed opinions of these from the start, they do look fantastic on some cars, like crzarb's M3. :wub: I think what really sets them off are angel eyes. So I think i'm gonna wait till I get the umnitza angel kit then i'll put them on. They do need to be painted as well, so that another annoying little job to sort out.

Now the last thing is some gauge ring.

Posted Image

All the way from Mr. Suwit Phokapanich in Thailand. :lol:

Posted Image

Surprisingly they're really good quality. Should look mint when they're installed, planing on doing them this weekend.

Posted Image

Hopefully will look like this:

Posted Image

So thats all for now. Have some plans for the future, such as, German plates, angel eyes, clear tail lights.

Hopefully you guys weren't bored reading it. I appreciate any comments, and always looking for ideas.

Cheers,

Nick

Good work Nick.... I love it when people get stuck in with the small jobs to make their car look and feel that little bit better.

One hint: You can pick up the interior light bulbs at Supercheap Auto for a fraction of the cost of buying BMW ones. About $3 for a pack of 2 IIRC. I stocked up for when I need spares! :D

Ah ha! I knew my clock use to have a back light. Not now thou. Very difficult to fit a new bulb? If you dont mind me asking, how much did you pay for the new gear shift boot? I need a new one as well as one for the hand brake.

IMO put the original grille back in. Look way better than the black.

Looking good by the way :) Nice work

Edited by 3 SERIES

Ah ha! I knew my clock use to have a back light. Not now thou. Very difficult to fit a new bulb? If you dont mind me asking, how much did you pay for the new gear shift boot? I need a new one as well as one for the hand brake.

Looking good by the way :) Nice work

Easiest bulb to replace out of them all mate! All you need is a flat head screwdriver. Just pry it out gently, in the little gap provided, and slot it out. The bulb is the little thing recessed in the back, just turn it with the screwdriver and it will come out. And its probably the nicest to have working, looks absolutely mint at night :P

I'll PM you about the gear boot, need to fish out the receipt.

Yea, the grilles only been black for a couple weeks and i'm kinda undecided on whether to keep the black covers on. I do like the chrome and the black though, chromes more BMWish B) .

Im with you on that mate, Sorry night I think your car suits the chrome grill much more. Love the wheels though, I'd deffinatly get some if I could find some.

Cheers guys, appreciate the comments.

Mark, even the ones i've pictured? Thats actually how they come. If so im soo pissed! <_<

The ashtray and headlight dial ones? Yup. The bulb pulls out of the holder you have pictured. They're exactly the same at Supercheap. Hehe!

OBC bulbs are different and vary throughout the production years of the E36. You have to get the exact same bulbs from the stealer otherwise they won't work.

Edited by gannetboy

Looking good Nic, can't wait to see it with angel eyes and the eyebrows!

Are you intending to change the colour of the eyebrows to suit the car?

The ashtray and headlight dial light switch ones? Yup. The bulb pulls out of the holder you have pictured. They're exactly the same at Supercheap. Hehe!

Damn!! I wish you hadn't told me that! Well, now I know. :(

Looking good Nic, can't wait to see it with angel eyes and the eyebrows!

Are you intending to change the colour of the eyebrows to suit the car?

Yea, I will. Red on the blue doesn't really work! Will get a spray can of stahlblau and give 'em a spray.

Damn!! I wish you hadn't told me that! Well, now I know. :(

Yea, I will. Red on the blue doesn't really work! Will get a spray can of stahlblau and give 'em a spray.

Haha, phew. Would've looked...how do I put this...'odd' to say the least.

Yep, good work Nick.

Im of the same opinion as mentioned - chrome grille over black.

Great mod on the torch.

You'll like the dash rings - I did the same on the E39.

Re bulbs - Some of those bulbs you can replace the bulb itself, most now come as a complete unit & there are untold variations on them

Great stuff Nick.

Your planned exterior mods will definitely set it right off!

Looking good!!! I have an arm rest waiting to be installed in my e36, only problem though is that it didn't come with the bolts that attach the large plastic base to the car. Anyone know what size these are meant to be?

Looking good!!! I have an arm rest waiting to be installed in my e36, only problem though is that it didn't come with the bolts that attach the large plastic base to the car. Anyone know what size these are meant to be?

Appreciate the comments.

Yea, mine didn't come with them either. They're just normal M8x30. Any engineering shop can supply them for you, mitre 10 probably has them.

Guest Simon*

Nice work Nic

Car looks mint. I really like the colour and look.

Had been considering blacking the kidneys on mine too as it's the only chrome showing. Reserving judgement on that I think - maybe you should drive it around for a week or two and see how it feels.

Cheers

Si "King of the Muppets"