Sign in to follow this  
*Glenn*

Laptop

I'd go dell for price, toshiba for build quality.

I run a high spec alienware, and have had problems and had to go through the dell customer service (as they now own alienware). They're pretty good.

And go XP.

Had to fix macs before, they're not nice at all to do (both software and hardware). Windows is far simpler..

Computers are far simpler than cars (and yes, laptops), if you have problems you should no trouble glenn :P

Thanks for all the input guys. I/she understand the Mac/PC issue. However the reason she wants a notebook is, she is an accountant and all work related stuff she needs to do is on work computers. This is for personal use only, internet, photos, movies and communication on Skype with us & her sister in London. She lives in Welly and works for KPMG. In January she gets transfered to Woolangong as assistant manager there and she doesnt want to lug her desktop with her. She will then be going to Europe for 3 months and then back to Woolangong.

She looked at this HP Pavilion DV5-1005TX at Harvey Norman for $2,000 and they have the same thing at Dick Smith on sale for $1599. I think thats what she is getting with XP instead of Vista and with an extended warranty.

My other daughter in London uses Mac because it is better for her clothing design work and most designers use Mac

Once again...thanks for the input

Cheers

Glenn

I disagree

Waaay less prone to virus's

A hell of alot easier to use

You can put Windows on a Mac

You cant put Mac OS on Windows

Windows always gitches out

So much more support for mac as they dont make 'shitty' mac's only 'shitty' p.c's (There are SOME decent ones)

You don't see mac selling for $799 at the warehouse

I have more reasons but that is more than the 'they just are' comment :)

1. I say again, why would anyone write a virus for something that holds less than 10% of the market? Ive probably had more pc's than you lot have had hot dinners and have never had virus. I dont actually think I know anyone who has had a virus and I know lots of people with lots of pc's.

2. My argument still stands, WHY are they easier to use? You havent even attempted to answer my question. Ive got one server automatically downloading anything I want thats on 24x7, running both web and ftp servers and requires ZERO attention. I have an htpc that can do ten times more than MySky could even dream about and it was all easy. I also have two laptops one of which handles all the photo and video editing I need to do and wirelessly connects to the htpc so I can watch tv, movies etc anywhere in the house, the other runs several Oracle databases and web servers for my work and Ive had not a single problem with any of them.

3. If Macs are so great why would you need windows ? You could argue that this statement alone proves that pc's are better than macs.

4. This is the point....what would I want to do that I cant do already?

5. Absolute rubbish !

6. More support for something thats less than 10% of the market....yeah right.

7. So the fact that they are more than twice the price of an equivalent pc makes them better ? I can build a pc that would blow you away for a grand. Does that make it crap ?

If I needed to do design work then I can see the benefits of a mac, its generalloy accepted that they rock in that scenario. But for the everything else there has still been no compelling evidence to prove a mac is any better.

So if someone has anything decent to say other than just writing rubbish lets start another thread. If you nothing positive to add, keep it to yourself.

Good luck with the purchase Glenn.

I'm not sure about harvey norman and warranties, they take a while if you have to return them. Dell usually come to you and replace the parts on the spot.

And you can put mac on a windows PC.. it's been done before. I've got no idea why you'd want to though. I still hardly see the point of running linux unless you're doing server stuff.

If you need anything give me a call on 021 02799969 or 523 7585 and I'll give you a good price. Should be able to do a good HP for about $920 which should meet all the needs, I can get most brands. Got some good relationships with the suppliers and i can give you staff pricing for them. Send me a text/PM if you are interested.