Sign in to follow this  
jjs

Why has petrol not come down in price?

Oil is now trading at US $86.50 a barrel. The lowest it has been in the last 12 months.

Why are we not seeing any change at the pumps? I know the fall in the exchange rate plays a part, but I think the oil companies are holding on for as long as they can!

Well a few weeks ago fuel was $2.08 in Paihia for 95, and now its $1.97. Thats an 11c drop.

I still think its too high, but it has dropped. I suppose its not bad considering the NZ$ is at a 2 year low.

Edited by bravo

It has not come down for two simple reasons

1) petrol did not increase in price at the same rate as oil...I'm afraid we can't have it both ways

2) Oil is priced against the $US. A month ago the $NZ was worth $0.80 US, now it is worth $0.59. This largely counters the decrease in oil price.

Cheers

Grant

I think it also depends on the refiner margin as well (someone has to pay for the corporate learjets etc) - not just the price of oil. I believe there is a shortage of refiner capacity at the moment and this is why diesel has increased significantly more than petrol.

Ok i just did some quick calculations about price and it appears it has come down but not hugely due in portion to the exchange rate.

date-------------Oil price*---- X-Rate--------$NZ(per Barrel)

May 2008-----------$120------0.778154---------$154

June 2008----------$128-------0.761572---------$168

July 2008-----------$132-------0.754644---------$175

August 2008--------$113-------0.709258---------$159

September 2008----$98---------0.675023---------$145

Today 10/10/08-----$87--------0.617101---------$141

The Oil Prices are $US per barrel and are the monthly average.

The X-Rate numbers are also the monthly average

Guest FrantiC

Hastings was as high as 2.18/L for 91, but that was about July. It has slowly dropped though, last week it dropped from 1.95/L to now 1.89/L for 91.

What are the prices elsewhere? Just out of curiosity.

Edited by FrantiC

Its really bothering me how the US economy is under so much fire, yet the dollar remains strong.. I was hoping for .70 NZD but not .599!! Going to Canada next month, our dollar is useless .. bugger.

Edited by Chris C

The cost between the far north and Auckland has narrowed - used to be 7c diff, now closer to 4c diff.