Sign in to follow this  
Graham m5

Another new member

Welcome to Bimmersport, good to see another premium E34 M5! Bruce (Ashmill) in Whangarei has a NZ New like yours, top quality, the last of the handbuilt M cars.

Hi Graham

Welcome aboard. You have a real good car there. The owner before last was the late Jock Styles who was a member of this forum. He only sold it because of an expanding family and it was bought by James Cowie who ran the Goodyear tyre shop in Taupo. He must have traded it on something else. I own the sister car to yours, a Macau Blue example which has similar milage and still runs like clock. Our cars are two of four imported by BMWNZ, 3 new and one tourist delivery. Hope to catch up one fine day. Cheers Bruce B)

Thanks Bruce, its always good to find out some history on the car, it needed some work when i bought it ( the rear suspension was absolutely worn out and the engine was running terribly but now all replaced it getting back to how it should be. It would be nice to catch up at some point in the future

I wondered if it was Jock's car.

Looks great mate, and it has a cool history - well done and welcome

Many thanks for all the nice comments

Welcome to Bimmersport, good to see another premium E34 M5! Bruce (Ashmill) in Whangarei has a NZ New like yours, top quality, the last of the handbuilt M cars.

Thanks for the comments sounds like all the e34 m5s are up north !!!

Well done Graham, you can obviously move a little faster than me :)

I couldnt believe it when I saw Jock's car at the price they were asking but I couldnt get the cash together for a week or two. You have a real beauty there so look after it.

Hi, i was surprised they were selling it but the price was because it needed quite a bit of work doing to it, but its getting there slowly

Bruce has the sister car to mine and in the same area, both cars originally came from Auckland new so what is the chances of them all being in the same area, thanks for the introduction

Dont want to swap for a touring do you Bruce ;)

Will pass on the touring Martyn but could be tempted with a deal on a nice E30 Tech 2 M325i or an E30 M3. <_<

Thanks Bruce, its always good to find out some history on the car, it needed some work when i bought it ( the rear suspension was absolutely worn out and the engine was running terribly but now all replaced it getting back to how it should be. It would be nice to catch up at some point in the future

Sad to hear that. Bavarian Motors (Ernst) used to service the car for Jock and he did my timing chain. He is also an expert at setting the tappets so could be worth a shot. Who is doing the work on it at the moment. Did you have to replace the rear shocks or was it just accumulators and bushes etc?

Sad to hear that. Bavarian Motors (Ernst) used to service the car for Jock and he did my timing chain. He is also an expert at setting the tappets so could be worth a shot. Who is doing the work on it at the moment. Did you have to replace the rear shocks or was it just accumulators and bushes etc?

Hi Bruce, The rear suspension was in a right mess, most of the bushes were clonking badly, both rear springs were broken, the self levelling shocks were leaking and they had run out of fluid ( i did not realise until the power steering went stiff,same fluid resovior, so i got it towed in the end) I have removed the self levelling system and put bilstien shocks and new standard m5 springs on with all new bushes. The engine was odd because no service lights were on but the oil was really black,the spark plugs were worn out the distributer cap and rotor arm fell apart when i removed them so it had not had a service in a while, the engine runs quiet so no timing chain or tappet noises at present, mind you i have not covered really any miles in her yet there was also some other stuff as well, rear g/box mount, driveshaft doughnut, front and rear pads, broken front and rear bumper,aircon not working luckly just needed regassing, so a bit of a list. i carry out all the work as i was a qualified BMW mechanic in the uk

I might have a trip up your way when the better weather comes

Hi Bruce, The rear suspension was in a right mess, most of the bushes were clonking badly, both rear springs were broken, the self levelling shocks were leaking and they had run out of fluid ( i did not realise until the power steering went stiff,same fluid resovior, so i got it towed in the end) I have removed the self levelling system and put bilstien shocks and new standard m5 springs on with all new bushes. The engine was odd because no service lights were on but the oil was really black,the spark plugs were worn out the distributer cap and rotor arm fell apart when i removed them so it had not had a service in a while, the engine runs quiet so no timing chain or tappet noises at present, mind you i have not covered really any miles in her yet there was also some other stuff as well, rear g/box mount, driveshaft doughnut, front and rear pads, broken front and rear bumper,aircon not working luckly just needed regassing, so a bit of a list. i carry out all the work as i was a qualified BMW mechanic in the uk

I might have a trip up your way when the better weather comes

That really surprises me to hear the car needed so much work. I am glad that you now own the car and it is being treated properly, good on you. Will look forward to your visit. Cheers Bruce

That really surprises me to hear the car needed so much work. I am glad that you now own the car and it is being treated properly, good on you. Will look forward to your visit. Cheers Bruce

in some ways though it is all routine stuff,if overdue...hopefully car is still basically sound.Welcome Graham(and Hello Bruce!)

in some ways though it is all routine stuff,if overdue...hopefully car is still basically sound.Welcome Graham(and Hello Bruce!)

Yes true, well overdue. Hi Paul. Amazing that after all these years these two cars now reside withing an hours drive to each other.

Hello its great i have recieved all the kind words and welcomes by all, it will be nice to meet you all at some point and swap stories etc