Sign in to follow this  
pureboiracer

project drift.. the m20 turbo

so. where to start?? have had a big soft spot for drifting for a long time now. and i want to get in to it properly so i started this project. i am a aprentice mechanic so money is not on my side but on the other hand i can do most of the work myself.

ive got a 1985 325i. after blowing a big hole in the side of the old engine i decided to put in my freshly rebuilt m20b25. its got new rings. re honed bores. new bearings. new seals. new valve seats. new valves new bearings. and all the standard stuff you get with a rebuild. (note as this time a turbo was not planned).

then went in the new suspension. bilstien front struts on king springs. and adjustable koni shocks in the rear with king springs. nolothane bushes ect planned soon.

the suspension complimented the brake upgrade previously done when i got the car. (evo 4 front brakes with a front rear adjustable biast).

took one of my spare diffs to work oneday and gave it the welding treatment. its not in the car yet. going to wait untill i have the cert before i put that in.

and then when i destroyed the other motor i knew i had to find a way to make lighting it up just as easy but without ringing the nuts off my new motor. thats when the turbo poped up. i researched and saw a few guys doing quite simple and not to costly set ups so i thought. why not?

now untill i have the available funds i plan to run it on the ljet system which was already in the car. it has a 323 computer. but still runs the motor quite rich so i dont see it being a real issue. to compliment the turbo i will be installing holden 5l injectors. to minimise the risk of melting my pistons. i have ripped out as much of the unnessacery stuff as i can. cold start gone. crank case recercilation gone. will be venting it to a catch can.

have already done the basic weight reduction.

managed to get myself a sharp deal on headers and a turbo.

here are some pictures of where im at at the moment.

have a factory gsr intercooler on the way and will be running around 6psi

post-1845-1223798743_thumb.jpg

post-1845-1223798779_thumb.jpg

post-1845-1223800228_thumb.jpg

Edited by sydwayz e30

awesome.

mind if i ask where you scored the manifold? not to common in NZ, looks good!

Awesome dude - am looking foward to seeing how this goes.

A nice thick alloy radiator should be on the cards too as well as an oil cooler (if it doesnt have factory), 1x bucket seat, 2x good front tires. Save the rest of your cash for tires, gas, track fee's and maintainence!

One of my favourite E30 drifters if your interested

/Edit

And this ones pretty good too

Edited by Mattzy

already got bucket seats in it. factory oil cooler wont fit round headers. will have to go aftermarket and will be looking into radiator but want to get it running 1st

already got bucket seats in it. factory oil cooler wont fit round headers. will have to go aftermarket and will be looking into radiator but want to get it running 1st

Good man! Keep them pictures coming!!

You shouldn't **need** a radiator (if its the big 325i one), but you never know. I agree with Mattzy about the oil cooler.

Which turbo is that?

Are you going to run a rising rate fuel pressure regulator (it would be safer and probably run a bit better)? How will you retard the ignition under boost?

A RRFPR and boost retard together would possibly cost as much as a second-hand Link or new Megasquirt from Trademe (about $500). Then you just need to sort out a trigger for it (facelift or pre-facelift 325i?), and dyno time (or borrow a wideband a/f and DIY).

(ok and you'll also need an air inlet temp sensor and to sort out a throttle position sensor, but neither are big $$$)

Edited by CamB

Just thought of something else you should look at mate when your out there generating all those lateral G's.

Was chatting with Lance today about the E30 race series guys and he mentioned that sump baffles were one of the approved modifications. These are something you should definately look at - one of the race series guys can chime in here... im guess E30's are pretty notorious for oil starvation?

Sweet, how long has the turbo build been in the making? Looks like you have done alot. You should be fine with the 325i radiator, thats what im running.. guess we both will find out.

Just a warning with the manifold if its a cheap one be prepared for possible cracks being stainless, have been down that path before. Shouldnt be a problem for you being a mechanic though with a welder handy.

Also there is one thing I would seriously recomend spending money on... a descent ECU. One of the most vital components in keeping your setup alive! I've cheaped out in this department in the past and it just ends up costing you more in the long run.

Other than that its looking awesome man, cant wait to see this beast running!

p.s how well do the standard m20 motors handle forced induction?

will have to go after market oil cooler as the factory one wont fit past the manifold. hopefully the current radiator will be ok. i spoke to mike with the 318it he left the vacume advance and the brake booster etc as it all is so i might try that to start with. i will be getting a link but not just yet. the factory fuel pressure regulator should be fine for my needs.

and aparently someone has run 21psi on a standard m20 motor and aparently was quite reliable too

aparently someone has run 21psi on a standard m20 motor and aparently was quite reliable too

With good tuning. With good tuning. With good tuning. With good tuning. With good tuning. With good tuning.

Wouldn't personally go over about 6psi without proper tuning.

With good tuning. With good tuning. With good tuning. With good tuning. With good tuning. With good tuning.

Wouldn't personally go over about 6psi without proper tuning.

I second that. The motor would have been stock etc but no doubt it would have been tuned to the dime. Just a heads up for ya bud :D

have just got my intercooler. its of a mitsi gsr. it fits in behind the kindey grille but because of the pipe outlets the only way to mount it is on an angle.... owell it cant be seen will get sum pictures of it soon. yeh and i wasnt planning on running anything over six until i get a link. but low boost is better than nothing

Edited by sydwayz e30

Sweet man, are u having ur intercooler black so its stealth? Im wondering wether to do that or not. Ive done my intercooler now ifu want some pics to see how i done mine? Yea thats right man gotta have boost aye

I got my sump off today and welded the oil return fitting to it. Got it all back togehter all my steering rack and suspension bolted back up and realised that the oil return fitting angles down at say a 4oclock postion now wondering if my turbo is going to even drain with no issues :(

im asuming ur running a 12" return line? seeing as its sitting lower than the turbo i cant see it causing a issue realy. and yeh it already is black. i just sprayed it the other day. some pics would be cool if you could. cheers

Ummm im running -10 fittings so not sure on the size of what the line would be? I posted under the forced induction section with a detailed picture there have a look but yea i was thinking it shouldnt be to much off an issue? Just scary gambling with an expensive turbo tho hah...

You got msn or email? PM me ill send u some now easier than uploading them to photobucket lol. Sweet u got any new pics of what u done?