Sign in to follow this  
Apex

How smooth is your E30??

Bent rim? Worn steering component? Do you feel it through your steering wheel or through your seat? Can you feel it through the brake pedal under very light braking at the speed it happens at?

Edited by bravo

Bent rim? Worn steering component? Do you feel it through your steering wheel or through your seat? Can you feel it through the brake pedal under very light braking at the speed it happens at?

I feel it through both the steering wheel and seat. It maybe a bent rim. There is a small dent on one of the back rims when I went over a pot hole that I couldn't see, but I didnt think that would do that much. Not too sure about the brake pedal though. I'll test it out on the way home from work later.

Its on a new smooth road so it cant be the raod at all.

I love your car btw :D

Edited by Kaz

Guest FrantiC

Mine isn't bad at all. On bumpy roads it is really soft - But quiet, I have Jamex Super lows (60mm loweing springs) on shortened god knows what rear shocks, and unknown front shocks (325i stock ones possibly lol).

It is very quiet, I replaced all my rubber bushings. My only problem is now I get vibration from 80km/h + since I got my new wheels.

I think one thing missed by ALOT of people is get HUB LOCATING rings! Can't rely on the bolts to make them centered. Not centered = Vibrations.

I am getting some new rings hopefully today or tomorrow, Hopefully sort the vibrations.. Other than that and the awful clunking / shunting of my driveshaft my e30 drives pretty damn smooth.

IMO, OEM rubber bushes > Urethane / nolathane etc. Urethane and all those sold ones make it more stiff and you will feel and hear alot more of the road and suspension moving around.

Mine isn't bad at all. On bumpy roads it is really soft - But quiet, I have Jamex Super lows (60mm loweing springs) on shortened god knows what rear shocks, and unknown front shocks (325i stock ones possibly lol).

It is very quiet, I replaced all my rubber bushings. My only problem is now I get vibration from 80km/h + since I got my new wheels.

I think one thing missed by ALOT of people is get HUB LOCATING rings! Can't rely on the bolts to make them centered. Not centered = Vibrations.

I am getting some new rings hopefully today or tomorrow, Hopefully sort the vibrations.. Other than that and the awful clunking / shunting of my driveshaft my e30 drives pretty damn smooth.

IMO, OEM rubber bushes > Urethane / nolathane etc. Urethane and all those sold ones make it more stiff and you will feel and hear alot more of the road and suspension moving around.

How much are the rings? Sounds kinda like mine but at slightly lower speeds then mine.

Guest FrantiC

How much are the rings? Sounds kinda like mine but at slightly lower speeds then mine.

Ask at a mag shop. I got some with my new wheels for free. My old stalkers had them too, but you can't fit standard wheels with hub rings on. So i took off the rear and noticed more vibration. The rings do help abit. And make it easier to sit the rim on the hub and center itself so you dont have to battle with it to get the bolts on.

You can get cheap nylon ones made up. I had some aluminium ones machined and pressed into my wheels (permanent solution) cost me over $80, but I didn't want to f**k around.

Cheers for the props Kaz!

Ask at a mag shop. I got some with my new wheels for free. My old stalkers had them too, but you can't fit standard wheels with hub rings on. So i took off the rear and noticed more vibration. The rings do help abit. And make it easier to sit the rim on the hub and center itself so you dont have to battle with it to get the bolts on.

Yeah my wheels didn't come with any. I remember them asking about them when I got them fitted but I didn't know what they are and was pretty poor then.

You can get cheap nylon ones made up. I had some aluminium ones machined and pressed into my wheels (permanent solution) cost me over $80, but I didn't want to f**k around.

Cheers for the props Kaz!

Even thats not too bad. As long as I can kinda get it sorted. I didn't have time to see if I could feel it through the brake pedal though but I'm sure I probably can cause it shakes the whole car.

Its like my dream car! :D

Guest FrantiC

Usually if you are getting vibration applying your brakes and you feel it through your brake pedal (as if it's trying to push back then stops then pushes back etc), That is when you have warped brake rotors.

I finally received my hub rings from the mag shop after getting about 5 sets that where either too big or too small for the bmw hub. Got them on today and now my vibration is almost completely gone. Just need to replace my broken diff mount which I have been meaning to do since I did my subframe mounts / trail arm bushes 2 months ago lol.

Once that diff mounts done, That is basically every rubber bushing suspension wise replaced in my car. Should be extremely smooth then. As of now I don't get much if any vibration up to around 140km/h that I have driven it, Just a slight rear end one which more than likely is from my torn diff mount.

Edited by FrantiC

Usually if you are getting vibration applying your brakes and you feel it through your brake pedal (as if it's trying to push back then stops then pushes back etc), That is when you have warped brake rotors.

I finally received my hub rings from the mag shop after getting about 5 sets that where either too big or too small for the bmw hub. Got them on today and now my vibration is almost completely gone. Just need to replace my broken diff mount which I have been meaning to do since I did my subframe mounts / trail arm bushes 2 months ago lol.

Once that diff mounts done, That is basically every rubber bushing suspension wise replaced in my car. Should be extremely smooth then. As of now I don't get much if any vibration up to around 140km/h that I have driven it, Just a slight rear end one which more than likely is from my torn diff mount.

Well I have only just reaplaced my break rotors so it shouldn't be that. Must just be that. I'll take it down to magwarehouse.com and see if they can do anything when I have the time/money.

Guest FrantiC

Well I have only just reaplaced my break rotors so it shouldn't be that. Must just be that. I'll take it down to magwarehouse.com and see if they can do anything when I have the time/money.

Hub rings shouldn't cost more then $20. Theyre just plastic or nylon or something. But they need to fit both the rim opening and your hub, not all are the same.