Sign in to follow this  
caleb

convert BMW Nav monitor from Jap to Eng

Thanks to jochen for his other thread (linked earlier in this one) about re-programming a post 2001 radio to the Oceania zone - I can't believe I hadn't picked up on it tlil now - I can now listen to the Rock in my jap import Bimmer! :D

On 24/10/2008 at 2:13 PM, jochen said:

Yes, M means MODE :-)

To change language to English, you change it in the "Settings".

Settings is the bottom-left option on the main menu (whether English or Jap, it's always bottom-left)

Select the bottom-left Japanese text and click it.

The language setting is down the bottom of the first Settings screen. It's the only line that shows "GB" or "UK" or "US" - all meaning "English" of course. I think the Jap cars have US written on the menu.

Scroll down, click, select "US" and click.

Voila! Everything in English.

Regarding setting the radio to NZ mode:

Your car is right on the cutover date. 09/2001 was when they changed from old-generation (unprogrammable) radio to new-generation (world-tuner) radio

Cross your fingers and hope you have the new radio - you'll see straight away in the Service Mode if it shows an area setting.

Europe is the best setting, otherwise select Oceania if Europe doesn't appear.

TV (if you have it) just needs to be changed to PAL-Europe and then it will pick up all NZ VHF and UHF channels.

As for the nav, to make it work in NZ requires changing the nav computer (the drive in the boot) to a Euro-model Mk3 or Mk4 nav.

Mk4 is the best. It's not plug-and-play, as some wiring needs to be changed and connectors need to be changed.

You can buy 2nd hand Mk3s or Mk4s on eBay. The Mk3/Mk4 is the same around the world, so it doesn't matter what country you source it from.

But it is fully possible to have your E46 converted so that radio, TV, nav and telephone all work 100% perfectly in NZ.

And navigation is cool - I highly recommend converting the nav.

Nav conversion can be done as a DIY - I have instructions and software to reprogram the nav, or hotwire on this forum offers a nav upgrade service whereby you just bring the car to him, and he does everything for you.

Hi

Please excuse my digging up a very old thread here, but I have been searching everywhere to find an answer to this.

I just imported a Japanese spec BMW 540i m sport 2002. It has the Japanese navigation system as well as a separate VICS unit and phone module.

i thought I'd be clever and buy an mk4 computer and just switch it over and hey presto it would work. But no...it's a different plug.

I've coded the stereo to work in the uk as well as the display, and I'm reasonably confident with ncs expert now, but this sat nav thing has got me stumped.

I'm sure the information I need is here somewhere, but I'm having trouble finding what I need.

thanks

Mark

No expert on this but as you have found out bmw change things. If one wish's to convert a Japanese GPS  system to NZ you need to throw away the computer in the boot and install one form either the US or Uk etc. The MK 4 is the best as it has the disc and better every thing also their needs to be a or a couple of extra wires run. A quick search found this it might help

A

Hi,

New to the forum and a bit technically challenged?

I'm trying to get my radio (BMW E90) set to NZ stations and am trying to follow Jochen's instructions. However, when I press down on the MODE button for 10 secs after turning on the radio, nothing happens. I also tried the TRF button with no joy. I do not see a RDS button. I have attached photos of the dashboard/console. Could someone pls help?

Also, seeing as there is a button on the steering wheel for telephone and what appears to be a handsfree button as well, does this mean this vehicle is equipped with bluetooth?

Thanks

20181219_171315.jpg

20181219_171333.jpg

20181219_171347.jpg

20181219_171401.jpg

1 hour ago, denpin said:

Also, seeing as there is a button on the steering wheel for telephone and what appears to be a handsfree button as well, does this mean this vehicle is equipped with bluetooth?

Thanks

No sorry it just part of the multifunction steering wheel

6 minutes ago, Gaz said:

No sorry it just part of the multifunction steering wheel

Thanks Gaz. How then do I check whether the car does or does not have bluetooth?

Also, among the menu options on screen, there is no "telephone" option. Is there a way to have this installed so I can pair my phone for handsfree use?

Cheers,

20181219_191148.jpg

To continue from my previous post, pressing the "TEL" switch on the i-drive console does nothing at all.20181219_171333.thumb.jpg.98d6e14c2e67edfeb9315ff9586ed930.jpg

You need to VO code and reflash your CIC from Japanese to ECE specs, then you'll have expanded radio frequencies. 

If you had an F series I'd be more helpful, Google is your best friend. 

34 minutes ago, sobanoodle said:

You need to VO code and reflash your CIC from Japanese to ECE specs, then you'll have expanded radio frequencies. 

If you had an F series I'd be more helpful, Google is your best friend. 

Ah, if only I knew what all that meant!! :huh:

Any suggestions for someone in Auckland whom I can go to?

1 hour ago, denpin said:

Ah, if only I knew what all that meant!! :huh:

Any suggestions for someone in Auckland whom I can go to?

Not as hard as it sounds and there's heaps of how-to's online. 

If the buttons do nothing and there's no option in the idrive then you don't have Bluetooth. 

I have a 2005 e90 325i BMW , It currently has a pioneer carrozzeria navigation and DVD/ TV system but the screen is all in Japanese, can I change it to English? 

Edited by Beamz