Sign in to follow this  
Luke

turbo a e28 2.7

Tick that Glen. Stick around Steve, there are many good people who use this forum.

Regards Ray from Hellbm

cheers guys for the kind words but please note

i don't come onto forums to drum up work cause i have more than i know what to do with

i like to think others can benefit from what at times even confuses me lol

i also tend to talk over people but not meaning to as i can speak before i think.

i think BMW's are a great cars and have become very cheap to buy and mod.

i enjoy doing stuff that's different and challenging thus when I'm told you cant do it then I'm in !!!!

sorry if Ive come across arrogant i guess working 12-14 hr days tends to catch up on you

Jez, I think I opened a can-a-worms! I should have been clearer and read one of the previous posts more clearly.

I realised later that a stock setup with a turbo probably wouldn't double the power (easily / cheaply) and reading on realised that swapping with a 325i head, intake, TB and AFM would probably make it a whole lot easier too.

I guess the reason I made the comparison with a turbo diesel is because my car would still be a daily driver. The reality for me is that even with the 4500 rpm redline I very rarely get up there. I like the idea of a car that does pretty much what the 525e was designed to do, just with (preferable lots) more grunt. I guess I'm the kind of driver who prefers lots of midrange torque to high end power.

On a related subject, how much power can a ZF 4Hp22 handle. I'd like to do a manual conversion someday but in the meantime...

BTW I appreciate everybody who contributes to these forums. Even if they are not necessarily seasoned experts, if they have any experience with a modifying their BMW I'm interested to hear what they have to say - as long as it's constructive!

Cheers

Guest FrantiC

I'm not here to bash anyones advice.. I've been there done that, I talk with lots of guys in the U.S who have turbo'd m20's for advice, tips on setups etc. There basically is a rough outline how it is done and how everyone is doing it, which is the easiest most cost effective way.

Steve (crunchy), no way do I mean to put down any of your advice or knowldege, you no doubt know way more than I do. I only read as much as I could, asked questions and then DID the build myself, pretty much identical to this that is why I offered advice, with swapping heads and such.

bekker, IMO the best power gain you will get will be from a manual conversion. Will be cheaper than turbo too.

Also a 2.7i stroker built wouldn't be bad either, they have heaps of grunt and power. Using the 325i head, intake and all electrics etc associated. Keeps it N/A, reliable and more easier to manage and it is a very nice power increase (more like 180hp over the standard 120hp of the ETA, also the high torque is still there.)

So it has the low end torque of the ETA, but with the 325i larger head ports etc, it flows way moer up high and has much more power over all, also revving to 6200rpm.

i would totally agree your best start is going manual

the one thing i really really really hate with BMW is the auto

when i put the 265 dog leg in my 5 series it was a different car to drive

so much more fun and it did what you wanted when you wanted to.

do the conversion first you wont look back

the 4hp22 in the 5 series and my little 318 e36 is nothing but i pain

I'm about to drop a m44 turbo into the e36 with a manual and I'm soooooooooooooooooo looking forward to it.

and i would have to say the m40 is the most hungry thing Ive ever feed,plus no hp

im not a big fan of thick head gaskets to lower compression,reshaping the head chamber and piston bowel gives a better flame area and more thermal bang thus greater exhaust energy for better turbo response.

I read this post with great interest, very seldom come on anymore. I felt I had to respond as I share your feelings..

What you say above is so true. I have been involved in building/tuning n/a motors for a very long time, turbo are not my game but I do know quite a bit about it. One of the most important things to do correctly when tuning a motor is to get this flame area right, I am used to referring to it as "squish". If you dont get it right, you end up with inefficient combustion. This "squish" is so important on getting a 2stroke motor to perform properly, never mind a 4stroke one.

Quite frankly, anyone who simply bolts on a thicker head gasket to lower compression when turbocharging is just showing their ignorance and inability to do things properly. It will work to a fashion but is the "backyard" way of doing it.

and on that note i very much enjoy helping people to the best of my knowledge to which is why ive written for the nzpc mag FREE for the past 11 years, i believe that way im doing it for the right reason.

im far from being right about everything and i don't confess to know it all.

i guess based on things ive posted on here before and the response it gets my back up as i dont get alot of spare time even for my own projects or family.

This is the very reason I couldn't be bothered with this forum anymore. There are just so many know-it-alls here who should actually stick their opinions where a monkey shoves its nuts. They read things and suddenly they are "experts". When a plonker tells me he is an "expert", I run for cover as the Bullsh*t is about to flow. And dont get me going about the backbiting....

Steve, sometime when I am down in Auckland I would love to catch up with you. It will be a pleasure to talk to someone who has actually been there, done that.. properly!!

Right, I am off for the next year or so.... my regards to the few decent folk on BS, you know who you are!

Will

^^^^^

That thread is from one of the most knowlegable E30 technicians in NZ who is a friend that I have the most respect for.

Unfortunately we have lost Wills daily input and help because of accurances here that are not priveleged to me.

Shame really that we cant have Wills presence and input daily... I really enjoyed his presence and friendship on the forum..

Get your arse back here Will :P

Get your arse back here Will

+1. The forum is better with you a part of it.

Cheers

Grant

Steve, sometime when I am down in Auckland I would love to catch up with you. It will be a pleasure to talk to someone who has actually been there, done that.. properly!!

Will

Please give me an invite Will...or we can make it at my place

Please give me an invite Will...or we can make it at my place

you guys are most welcome to come out,please wear knee pads ive got boxes of work everywhere dont want you hurting your selves trippin over them,lolol

you guys are most welcome to come out,please wear knee pads ive got boxes of work everywhere dont want you hurting your selves trippin over them,lolol

You will have to clear a space so Glenn and I can get our mobility scooters in amongst the chaos... :blink:

You will have to clear a space so Glenn and I can get our mobility scooters in amongst the chaos... :blink:

i hope you dont have a problem with the fact they will be turbo scooters when you leave <_<