Sign in to follow this  
JiB

JiB's POS

I lost 'cos I thought I placed an autobid but didn't <_<

bugger man...

well just keep searching trademe for terraphone...

otherwise palmside arn't that bad

Riiiiiiighto, back from RallySprint.

Was not what I was expecting. 8km rallysprint around Pukekohe - standiing start, chicane pre and après kink, throught pitlane fast as possible, into pitlane chicane and out of pitlane into sweeper (rinse and repeat) then ending right after the chicane at the top of the hill. Madness.

Had many dramas with brakes, learnt a bit about how to drive the bits of Puke. Great fun. Huge thanks to CamB who was my passenger ballast and pit crew. Also thanks to 2002 for the support (and hopefully some chase cam footage).

Right front brake caliper bolt came undone and ended up "machining" the rotor a bit. But turns out both were rubbing, have suspicions that only when hot.

The track was somewhat hard on brakes, bendix ultimates are smoking away when back in the pits.

Have more to add to to-do list:

Sort brakes

Brake ducting

Secure new tacho better

Harness holds

Padding on x-bars

Mayyyyybe a smidgen more camber

Can't wait to go racing again (hopefully with the bugs ironed out). Pics to come. There were a few photographers dotted around the place.

Edited by JiB

Dam brakes i feel your pain lol. Sounds like you had a good one though!! how did your brakes go anyway? Are you running a 25mm master cylinder?

Hmm, what do people use to hold harnesses on the harness bar in place? Zipties look like they'd do the job, but not sure they're the greatest way of doing it?

Dam brakes i feel your pain lol. Sounds like you had a good one though!! how did your brakes go anyway? Are you running a 25mm master cylinder?

Running a 23.4mm BMC. Brakes were a lot better than standard, more confidence inspiring. I need to learn how to use them better, brake harder, and less. Now I think about it, I wasn't using all of the pedal when I should've.

Can't wait to go racing again (hopefully with the bugs ironed out). Pics to come. There were a few photographers dotted around the place.

For Entry forms and Regulations Click Here

DATES:

Friday 4 September 2009 - Normal Entries Close for Circuit Sprint (Dual Car)

Sunday 13 September 2009 – Circuit Sprint (Dual Car) Taupo Raceway. $100

Friday 2 October 2009 - Normal Entries Close for Hillclimb

Sunday 11 October 2009 - Hillclimb, Sainsbury Road, Pirongia. $60

I"ll be aimming at the 13th for my first event in the pug.. you should come down also man...

Sounds good, I'm aiming to do two events per month.

Next one for me will hopefully be sealed autocross on 26th this month.

Then the multi-car circuit sprint on 2nd August.

Sainsbury is a maybe, kinda far away...will hopefully be doing Kemp Rd on 18th October though?

I AM ALIVE! I had a great day - thanks heaps.

Was a really, really good day out. The 325i goes well, sounds mint (despite bog standardness and 320k km), lots of nice people here, good weather. Handling felt great from the passenger seat. I was hardly scared at all, LOL.

A highlight of the day was the hilariously rapid 700hp Skyline GTR - it accelerated in third like it was being shot from a cannon. It also twitched sideways while doing it.

In other news, Pirongia is less than 2 hours. Do it! You won't find many hill climb's much closer.

And I've only ever seen zip ties used to hold harnesses on the rear bar.

Here's the in car footage (sorry the quality wasn't as good as I hoped), JiB is the black dot disappearing into the distance on the first lap. Watching Carol pull out, pass me & then disappear over the horizon was a bit demoralizing - but hey she did end up winning the class.

Thanks for putting up the vid. For those who watch, JiB and I disappear coz we went left to the front straight to the finish and the evil chicane at the top of the hill (nowhere to brake in a straight line). There's a chance we would have been caught as 2002 was about possibly 1-2 secs a lap quicker (based on his fastest time).

Craig - I notice you were braver than us in certain key strategic areas (eg onto pit road). And much quicker through the chicane's. Carol's car is an Integra type R engine right - like 200hp. In a featherweight CRX that's gotta be quick.

Edited by CamB

MLM was down there with a friend in his toyota that sounds like it's spun a bearing...

I'll also be aiming for kemp road...

there is anouther one at the start of the year thats 8.7km of bent sprint/hillclimb... its a great road... it was the 25th of feb, it's in port waikato areaish...

I'd say anything within a 2 hour drive is a must do as there is alot of fun roads in the wakatio that they can close easier than and in auckland..

What a fun event that must have been! Track would be busy with an E30 rack ahaa. Great work Jib.

Was good to meet you guys at the track on Sunday,

As heath mentioned our day ended with a possible spun bearing. Our first run toasted our brakes which required a pad change in the pits then on the second run (after a bit of on road bedding in) we put in a respectable time only to have the engine start making noises in the pits while at idle..

After that I turned cameraman so once I down load the footage I will post it up. Managed to get some footage of the GTR and most of the other cars on track and both starts on your 3rd and 4th run.

Was great to meet you too - but a stink end (barely a beginning - 2 from 5 runs :() to the day for your mate.

I AM ALIVE! I had a great day - thanks heaps.

Was a really, really good day out. The 325i goes well, sounds mint (despite bog standardness and 320k km), lots of nice people here, good weather. Handling felt great from the passenger seat. I was hardly scared at all, LOL.

A highlight of the day was the hilariously rapid 700hp Skyline GTR - it accelerated in third like it was being shot from a cannon. It also twitched sideways while doing it.

In other news, Pirongia is less than 2 hours. Do it! You won't find many hill climb's much closer.

And I've only ever seen zip ties used to hold harnesses on the rear bar.

Lol, almost sounds like you enjoyed it more than I did! (P.S. thanks again for being responsible for fixering my car when it popped a caliper)

Here's the in car footage (sorry the quality wasn't as good as I hoped), JiB is the black dot disappearing into the distance on the first lap. Watching Carol pull out, pass me & then disappear over the horizon was a bit demoralizing - but hey she did end up winning the class.

Cheers for that! I've never seen any photo/video of my car in action!

I think you're a lot smoother/braver thru the chicanes and pits for sure!

MLM was down there with a friend in his toyota that sounds like it's spun a bearing...

I'll also be aiming for kemp road...

there is anouther one at the start of the year thats 8.7km of bent sprint/hillclimb... its a great road... it was the 25th of feb, it's in port waikato areaish...

I'd say anything within a 2 hour drive is a must do as there is alot of fun roads in the wakatio that they can close easier than and in auckland..

Yeah, I should stop being a pansy and start going further than Waiuku for a driving fix :lol:

What a fun event that must have been! Track would be busy with an E30 rack ahaa. Great work Jib.

Yeah, was a lot of twirling arms. Slipped once or twice, thankfully without mishaps!

I'm not sure I qualify for "great work" finished last in my class lol! Up against an M Coupe, RX7, 180SX, and a RX323.....I may/may not have been somewhat outclassed :lol:

Was good to meet you guys at the track on Sunday,

As heath mentioned our day ended with a possible spun bearing. Our first run toasted our brakes which required a pad change in the pits then on the second run (after a bit of on road bedding in) we put in a respectable time only to have the engine start making noises in the pits while at idle..

After that I turned cameraman so once I down load the footage I will post it up. Managed to get some footage of the GTR and most of the other cars on track and both starts on your 3rd and 4th run.

Was good to meet you too! (I should've clicked when you said the 318iS was yours!)

Bummer about the corolla...it was in my class too! What motor was it running?

Would be keen to see the footage (well, any footage of my car) :)

Palmside Headsets

Graytronics Intercom

Complete with two headsets & amplifier

Very clear

Easy fitting headsets, can run on 9 volt battery

$385.00 (Model 129) (information on Model 129 - http://www.brantz.co.nz/rally2.html)

or

Terratrip Terraphone

Intercom with 2 headsets

Either Open or Full-face

$360.00 (it looks like the Pro model amp like i've got - so you can plug an mp3 player in when touring... http://www.terratrip.com/TERRAPHONE.PDF)

Hmmm, Terratrip looks good. But I need to sort rust/painting and fix the car first. Hopefully there's still budget for intercom after that.

Right front brake caliper bolt came undone and ended up "machining" the rotor a bit. But turns out both were rubbing, have suspicions that only when hot.

It now appears I didn't finish the day scot free either.

CamB - the oil leak appears to be the head gasket leaking from the area where the oil gallery in the block connects to the head - I'll have to pull the head this weekend.

Pukekohe Park raceway also seems to be a cosmic vortex which destroys urethane parts from Ireland Engineering. Earlier in the year it was a steering coupling, Sunday it was the left hand engine mount. I thought I was getting some strange vibrations in left hand turns, it turns out the urethane has pulled away from the mounting plate.

I think I'll go back to OEM rubber. :unsure:

Oh bugger :( That's a bit stink, Craig.

I think I better check my IE bits when I have time. You've made me nervous!

That's very unfortunate on both counts. What a pain in the butt.

The engine mount is concerning - second case I've read about it in a week (and I too have the same Ireland one).

Pukekohe Park raceway also seems to be a cosmic vortex which destroys urethane parts from Ireland Engineering. Earlier in the year it was a steering coupling, Sunday it was the left hand engine mount. I thought I was getting some strange vibrations in left hand turns, it turns out the urethane has pulled away from the mounting plate.

What about talking to autolign about getting some made?

IE stuff has a terrible reputation in the States, and that's where it is made!

If you are going to buy bushings from america, save the research, I've already done years of it:

www.akgmotorsport.com

What are their prices like compared to IE Henry? I am looking for some in the next few weeks for my car.

JiB mate, get some more pics up :D it has been a while.

The prices do look to be a bit more, like 50 USD bucks all up. But seriously, I love the delrin back there. It has transformed the rear-steer E30 into something which is so stiff and predictible. And these bushings will last for 10+years. So the 50 bucks now is money saved really.

If you do get them, make sure to get the Subframe/Diff/Tarms all-in-one set, you save a bit of moolaa.

^ I am just going to do engine and gearbox as the rest has been done from the old car.

Don't mean to Hijack JiB <_<

US$180 for Group N mounts on akgmotorsport.com for a 2002, and if I break one I bet its only one (the one on the LHS is under more stress due to the design on a 2002). Ouch. Not for me.