Sign in to follow this  
mikes635csi

1979 635csi race car

Hi all,

The car has finally been moved out of my mates back yard and i have spent a few weekends taking it all apart. Good bonding time with my son who helped. Then talked about soda blasting and have had that done.

It now looks like part of it has just come off the factory floor, and the other parts have come off the ocean floor.

Then we pulled the front end and diff out and the whole car has gone to the panel shop for a heap of work.

The roll cage will be fitted next and i will put the front end and the diff back in once the new bushes/rotors/shocks, are fitted.

Any help and advice here would be appreciated.

Am also getting the seats organised with Racepro - but need to know if i need them to be certified ?? whatever that means.??

post-3394-1225954194_thumb.jpg

post-3394-1225954235_thumb.jpg

post-3394-1225954270_thumb.jpg

Looks like you've set yourself up with a bit of a mission there Mike.

Where are you from? Good luck, will be awesome when done.

Looks like you've set yourself up with a bit of a mission there Mike.

Where are you from? Good luck, will be awesome when done.

Hi,

I know, it will be fun though, now living in Tauranga. Have had the car for about 10 years and would love to get out and have some fun in it. i need to learn what to do and where to go with it. Have seen Gerry's 635 and it looks cool.

As does the ex Dynes McConnell M6 E24, quick too, was in Tauranga, and I think still might be..

This is my baby project, a bit easier as the shell's a minter already, will be running the same power plant as you. http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=16652

update on car, have had it with Team Crash in Tauranga for a while now and it is coming along great. Fron t all sorted and floor being done. Lot of work to go but will look like new when done. here is latest pics

post-3394-1237790564_thumb.jpg

post-3394-1237790591_thumb.jpg

post-3394-1237790618_thumb.jpg

Long way still to go -Not wrong! Agree though - job getting done right

Cheers for the update, keep em coming.

Cant wait to see this beauty finished!

Nice work Mike. I love your first comments. Methinks you and I would get on well.

Good luck with this - will be following with interest.

Thanks everyone, will keep posting pics as we move forward, next is the corners with new rotors and calipers being done now so we can get it back up as a rolling chassis.

Hi all,

I went in to see the beloved car yesterday to find a new floor on the drivers side and what resembled a bowl of cornflakes on the ground which turned out to be the old floor. The sunroof and its myriad of framing has been removed and a new plate going in to give me more head room. The new seats from RACEPRO have been tested for placement and look great.

ENGINE. Can anyone help with some advice on the motor. I have the head off and the pistons look like they are raised so don't know if they are standard or not?? any help on checking what is about would be much appreciated.

mike :wub:

Yes, standard High compression pistons Mike, they lost the tops when they made the B35 I think, the earlier motors are all high tops.

take a pic of teh pistons

:lol:

here is a pic of the top of one of the pistons. will send the motor out for work but any idaes on what can be achieved is most appreciated. thanks all. will post new pics of bodywork soon.

post-3394-1240267359_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikes635csi

:lol:

here is a pic of the top of one of the pistons. will send the motor out for work but any idaes on what can be achieved is most appreciated. thanks all. will post new pics of bodywork soon.

that looks like the later 3.5 block with the 10:1 pistons . 1983-1987 type .

has the grand piano top pistons .

the early blocks 1978-1982 had a bigger bore and less stroke with flat top pistons 10:1 .

(same block as used for the m5 /m6 engine)

and the later 1988-1992 had lost some of the middle section of the piano top .to make 9:1 CR

flat top early block .

Posted Image

then 10:1 mid 80's block then 9:1 later 80's early 90's

post-279-1240271380_thumb.jpg

post-279-1240271470_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

Hi everyone, need some help with the code for the motor, getting new parts and not sure what the code is... thanks

Hi everyone, need some help with the code for the motor, getting new parts and not sure what the code is... thanks

how do you know the motor is the original one? can you give us the vin of the car and or the engine number of the engine you now have?

The engine will be an M30 of some description!

look for stamped in numbers by the starter motor

Hi everyone,

The engine number is 5740412 and it has a AMC head on it... I think from looking at photos on the google that it is an M90 motor as the inlet manifold folds back over the top of the motor like a wave, sort of...

Any help in telling me more would be great.

thanks