Sign in to follow this  
mikes635csi

1979 635csi race car

Hi Mike, what are the last 7 numbers of the vin?

Hi,

no the vin number is different

I was thinking the engine might not be the original.

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E24/Coup...979/may/browse/

looks to be the early engine . with bigger bore . but thats not to say it hasn't had a replacement later engine.

best to measure bore size when the head is off.

also check date stamps in the block and head

Hi,

the bore is 89mm

then it looks like it is a 733i 633i engine block .

see here 89mm pistons

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E23/Seda...kshaft_pistons/

the early 635csi had 93/4 mm bore . the later 3.5L engines had 92mm bore

so best to chuck it and get a 3.5L engine block ,

myself or martyn(bm weapon) have some options

Might suggest the first engine number Mike posted is the vin for the motor, would make it a 733 from an early E23, makes sense.

Might suggest the first engine number Mike posted is the vin for the motor, would make it a 733 from an early E23, makes sense.

i agree , those very early e9 3.3L 1972 engines are pretty rare and i dought one would have made its way into a 635csi .

so sugests its a 733i engine .

better to swap it out for a later 3.5L block/head etc

Oh yeah - silly me - I completely overlooked the more common 86mm crank 3.2, sorry 3.3. I've always wondered why BMW's model designations often don't match the actual capacity.

Then they went the other way with the 323/523. Crazy.

Thanks guys, i will talk to the engine guy today and check it out a bit more...

i have this sitting around, came from 79 635csi , has carbs on it now but was an injected engine before.

post-279-1247514631_thumb.jpg

Hi All,

Just an update on project... The panelbeater went bust so have brought the car home for a bit to sort out, had one of the brand new seats from Racepro go missing while there, totally gutted.

I am going to wait a bit to sort out the motor and will get the old one going again in the meantime until i look into it a bit more. Have put a new thread in bto check what the diff is, so if anyone can help would be appreciated.

getting to be a habit of asking for help, i just want it all sorted so it is ready to go. hoping to get the back end structurally sorted soon so all the suspension and frames can go back in. will post new pics soon.

thanks again all..

Guest Simon*

Gutted to hear someone flogged a seat!

Good luck with the ongoing project Mike

Hi everyone, good news on the engine, the bore is 89 and stroke is 102, so what does that make it, must be more than 3.0 as previously thought.

accoording to website comes out to 3800cc , does this sound right???

Also got my missing seat back from the panelbeater, whew...

Edited by mikes635csi

Check again Mike, no M30 has that big a stroke.

post-1118-1248757455_thumb.jpg

Check again Mike, no M30 has that big a stroke.

post-1118-1248757455_thumb.jpg

i will get it checked again, just to be sure - stroke is the length of travel from tdc to bdc.

Bugger,

for a fleeting moment i thought i had something special, but it works out to be 89 bore x 86 stroke, 3210cc.

So, now will look at new motor as well. will get this motor cleaned up and going and put up for sale.

RIGHT, have decided to run with current motor for the start as i think i can scare myself even with that one and if the pants stay clean then look at an M6 motor later on..

Recently i had the car over to Hamilton and had it sandblasted and rust coated. The panelshop has now got it back to finish off the floor and the back end where the subframe mounts go, and then the boot floor will come out and have a flat boot pan so we get a good view underneath from the arse end.

I will be ready to start putting all the bits back together soon so will start getting some new pics up on a regular basis.

I also started a thread to find out if i need to do anything in regards to getting the car checked over by any race officials etc?? and what i need to do myself as have never been on the track myself so will need to get license etc

Hi All,

It has been a while so thought i would share the latest pics. The underneath and engine bay and boot are sorted and finished, engine has the cam and head work done so ready to go back in next week. then all suspension etc..any help or ideas would be great..

I am hoping to get it to a rolling chassis by new year, then look at getting the exhaust and bits done for fuel to make it go.

Edit: Could you please resize your pictures and repost them Mike.

Edited by westy