Sign in to follow this  
mark247

Repco pads on an e30

I managed to catch my repco brake pads on fire on the weekend. The brand is Lucas. They are rubbish. Dont buy them if you actually want to be able to brake hard more than once in a single drive. Never buying pads from repco again. And they were the "best" ones they had, not the cheapies. After braking hard from around 190k once, they were toast. You could see smoke coming out from behind my wheels, oh and the smell... I am running slotted discs but i think the same thing would of happened with oem discs as well.

Just a thought i should let people know. EBC pads next time for me...

Cheers for that, I probably would've bought the next ones from repco. Not that my car woud get to 190kmh anyway.

Where do you get the said EBC pads?

Lucas ones are definitely not the "best ones" you can buy from Repco. Mintex and Bendix are available through order.

Lucas are the cheapies, even Super Cheap's mid range Ferodos are better.

edit: If it's for a road car, why not try OEM BMW pads? They're pagid ones or something. I'm guessing most of the driving is done ~100kph

Edited by JiB

Cheers for that, I probably would've bought the next ones from repco. Not that my car woud get to 190kmh anyway.

Where do you get the said EBC pads?

http://www.ebcbrakes.co.nz/ They are the main supplier for the e30 serie i believe.

Lucas ones are definitely not the "best ones" you can buy from Repco. Mintex and Bendix are available through order.

Lucas are the cheapies, even Super Cheap's mid range Ferodos are better.

Well when i meant the best, i went in there and they were the better of the two that they had in stock at the time. They were $95 instead of the $60 ones.

Although it is hard to see, if you look hard you can see the smoke around the discs. By the time I thought "man i needs pics" it had kinda stopped.

post-1711-1226903544_thumb.jpg

they road pads, meant for road use. Ofcourse they're going to last bugger all under hard braking at speeds like that. Lucas pads arent sh*t hot, at cost from repco they were $19, so I stuck a few in the back to fill the void when my other pads crapped out, they lasted a few rounds and practices. Although the brakes were much better in the front than back, so as to adjusted the bias a little.

The EBC pads are the optional sponsor of the E30 series but by no means seem to be the favoured or popular option. Go for hawk road and race pads, I recommend the HP-Plus

Edited by bmw3

The EBC pads are the optional sponsor of the E30 series but by no means seem to be the favoured or popular option. Go for hawk road and race pads, I recommend the HP-Plus

I remember searching for those Hawk pads about a year ago. I priced some up in the states while i was on holiday and they were around $80usd if i remember correctly, what prices are we looking at here?

I have used the Lucas pads for over a year now and i find them to be as good as any other pad i have used in other cars. They fell better than the pads they replaced.

The pads in my car do handle multiple hard stops very well I live near a long straight road and i know, before saying they are rubbish perhaps they are perfectly fine. Sure they are not an expensive high performance pad, i would suggest you would have exceeded the limits of many normally available off the shelf pads not specially for semi motor sport use. However it does not mean they are rubbish for their intended purpose.

It Kind of annoys me that your complaining about your brake pads being toast after a nearly 200kmh stop.You have to say its probably quite a job for any brake pad to do that when it wasn't designed with that in mind.

I'm not trying to bait an argument here, just my 2c worth

Hawk pads are something like $150+GST fronts 180+GST rears. www.racetech.co.nz the guy who supplies them is on these forums, check the brakepads thread for his details. Username Jules. We need a bimmersport discount damnit.

I used just the fronts in my E30 series car, went well. Have upgraded to rears as well this season, still runs good.

Edited by bmw3

It Kind of annoys me that your complaining about your brake pads being toast after a nearly 200kmh stop.You have to say its probably quite a job for any brake pad to do that when it wasn't designed with that in mind.

I'm not trying to bait an argument here, just my 2c worth

I wasnt 200kmh to stop. It was 190kmh ( indicated speed ) to around 100kmh to take a corner. After that one corner they were fading like no tomorrow. It took one corner and they were like that. I know they are intended for normal road use but I am still surprised that managed to make them produce smoke.

I am not trying to make an arguement either. I am just stating what happened, and my opinion.

Ive had the linings off my Lucas pads come apart and separate from the metal backing pad. Was making a quick hard stop from approx 180kph and suddenly theres a horrible metal on metal noise. checked the pads and the linings had decided to let go.

Also had some real cheap Silverlines before these, ABSOLUTE CRAP, 2 or 3 hard stops from 120kph or so and they were cooked.

You wont have any problem with OEM brake pads and rotors on a standard road car and they will handle the stopping from the speeds you are indicating without any problems.

Repco pads = no!

I've never had anything good come out of them, their cheap and naaaasty. Theres some really good alternatives out there and its worth the money, the improvements are huge and its ultimately your safety that your paying for!

I managed to catch my repco brake pads on fire on the weekend. The brand is Lucas. They are rubbish. Dont buy them if you actually want to be able to brake hard more than once in a single drive. Never buying pads from repco again. And they were the "best" ones they had, not the cheapies. After braking hard from around 190k once, they were toast. You could see smoke coming out from behind my wheels, oh and the smell... I am running slotted discs but i think the same thing would of happened with oem discs as well.

Just a thought i should let people know. EBC pads next time for me...

I'm curious.

Did you break the pads in?

^Thats what I was thinking.

FWIW, I know some guys pretty into their cars who have no problems with recommending the lucas pads, or some of the other Ferodo pads either. For 99% of the population the pads should do the job fine (on the road).

when you're travelling at 190km/h you have 3 times as much kinetic energy as when your travelling at 110kmh, which pretty much means 3 times the heat is going to be generated when stopping from those speeds, thats a hell of an ask for any road pad.

I'd like to hear how you get on doing the same thing again with another road pad of similar retail price (actually).

Before I got into intermarque sprints at Manfeild I did the advanced driver training day that ended up with 6 or 7 of us getting a good 30 mins of track time just going round and round, I did this on standard oem pads and they handled it remarkably well, but then that was mainly the hard braking into coke which in the 320 was only ~160kph but over 30 mins the handled it.

I switched to bendix for the sprints but they're quite harsh IMO

Edited by ЯЭMMIЯ

http://www.ebcbrakes.co.nz/ They are the main supplier for the e30 serie i believe.

Well when i meant the best, i went in there and they were the better of the two that they had in stock at the time. They were $95 instead of the $60 ones.

Why use Repco pads? I sell OEM (Jurid) BMW front pads for E30 at $68.00 + GST.

Because your in auckland and probally not open on sundays.

Repco is handy that it is just down the road and open 7 days a week.

I have the TWR metallic pads from repco. Doing hills runs, standing on the brakes into each hairpin down a hill, they get very very smelly, a bit smokey, pedal gets a bit softer, and they might lose 20% of the power to fade, and at the end of the run I have black wheels that are too hot to touch, on slotted rotors.

But they stop when cold, and were cheap, unlike a pad that never fades, so when I drive to work in the mornings I can actually stop fast when road cyclists and kids jump in the way. A bit of fade is a good price to pay for not having some tool splatted on my windscreen.

However, I have not done much reseach on brake pads, just everything else. So I'm sure theres a pad out there that has say less than 5% fade and works decent when cold.

That's a good enough reason to plan ahead.

It was sunday. Was installing new rotors. Needed pads. Thought for $90 they couldn't be that bad. Oh how wrong I was.

190k on a NZ road! :o Glad I wasnt anywhere near you...idiot. Enough said

Sounds like you know all the facts and figures