Sign in to follow this  
Danny_E30

Turbo or V8?

But E30FTMFW!

Just save up for a 325i while you enjoy the amount of petrol your 318i uses..

Way easier than all the money a conversion would cost and faster than a 318i.

Ahh the benefits of driving a 316i..

540 > 325.

I'd rock a stripped, manual 540i over a crappy 30.

And listen to CamB, any power in an E30 is an expensive exercise. If you just want cheap power/giggles get a Japanese car. Chances are said Japanese car would have a better suspension setup too.

If I were after a overpowered road car I'd get the aforementioned 1JZ Altezza. Over any BMW.

*dons flame suit*

540 > 325.

"I'd rock a stripped, manual 540i over a crappy 30."

340i > 540i

My street spec e30 was doing the same lap times as the latest m5 and m6 at ruapuna last week. There is no way a striped 540i would get anywhere near me on the track

Edited by Riley

340i > 540i

My street spec e30 was doing the same lap times as the latest m5 and m6 at ruapuna last week. There is no way a striped 540i would get anywhere near me on the track

But bang for buck i'm sure the stripped 540i might be better?

540 > 325.

"I'd rock a stripped, manual 540i over a crappy 30."

340i > 540i

I voted V8 E30. V8's in small cars rule.

But a 340 wasn't part of the equation Riley. Notice how I said 540 > 325? I was replying to //James and Nick021.

I stand by my comment that stripped 540 > 325. The E30 has a pretty agricultural rear end, and E34 onwards have a multilink rear if I'm not mistaken? Better brakes as well I'd say. Not to mention price wise, the costs of 325's these days are getting up there.

E34 still is semi-trailing arm. E36 (bar Ti) onward would have multilink id say

Nope, e36 still trailing arm, just not semi-trailing like e30. Trailing arm with double wishbone. E46 much the same, and I had to check on bmwfans.info for e90, and it's multi-link.

Don'tknow about 5 or 7 series.

Trailing arm with double wishbone. E46 much the same,

Is that not multi link??

Edited by Westy

My knowledge (limited) is that multi-link has the wishbones split into individual arms that are often angled and designed to act differently than a solid wishbone (like the e90).

The e36 setup works similar to a regular trailing arm plus control arm setup, just with two control arms/panhard rods (wishbones).

I'm happy if someone who knows more about it wants to correct me, but that's always been my understaqding.

Modern multilink would equate to less geometry change over the suspensions full range of movement.

However, a search reveals sites referring to both trailing arms on the e36 and multi-link setup with a z-axle, so perhaps the combination of trailing arms and wisbones is an early form of multi-link with the trailing arms forming part of the system as you say.

Regulr trailing arm setups often have 2 trailing arms, and a panhard rod/control arm. It seems a bit of a stretch to add a second control arm and then start thinking of it as a modern multi-link setup like on the newer VAG cars and e90.

I've had a hunt and here are some links that seem to show what my understanding of the subject is:

Wikipedia multi-link

Wikipedia trailing arm in the case of the e36, there is a panhard rod, and a top wishbone, but it still utilises two trailing arms.

a few good pics here

So I guess, basically I don't really know, it was just my thoughts based on what I'd read and what I'd seen on e36's.

Edited by bravo

Seems the term is used to describe a system that doesn't fit with any other term and has multiple members (hence multilink duh).

E36 having 2 lateral control arms and 1 trailing arm each side is a....??

Who knows, who really cares ha.

Just go the V8 route. If you intend to keep it then in the long run it will work out cheaper. You have more torque from a lower RPM so acceleration will be better than a turbo.

Turbo lag sucks donkeys nuts when you pull out in (light) fog and find a retard driving without any lights on in the other lane. If I'd had my V8 then, I wouldn't have been wishing I'd worn my brown pants.

If you really wanna go down the FI path later on, at least the chassis will be strong enough to hold it (assuming you've modified it to fit the V8 nicely) and if you wanted real power you could supercharge or twin turbo the V8.

The only problem I could see with that sort of setup is room in the engine bay. And that's why they invented a firewall. So you can cut bits out to make things fit. :P

ill save ya some time and money and sell you my car, fully engineered, v8'ed, shaved, race braked, etc, just needs cert and a paintjob...

its e21, not e30, but i reckon they look better. more oldschool lookin.

or you could get it and chuck all the bits into your e30?

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=19863

chur

i sold a bmw part to a guy that had an e36 318i that he had turboed - slap it on but was still running on rear drums! :rolleyes:

My mate is still running drums on his 318 turbo... but has huge wilwoods on the front :P

Turbo lag sucks donkeys nuts when you pull out in (light) fog and find a retard driving without any lights on in the other lane.

Completely depends on turbo selection and manifolds.

k thnx.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-196763953.htm

Just get one of those. 206kw, 363nm torque, and the torque curve is virtually flat from 3000 to 5000rpm, they start building boost at 2000rpm and will do 6 seconds to 100kmh. They also happen to be a comfortable mid sized car with 4 seats and never break down! (well at least the manuals, the autos are crap)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-196763953.htm

Just get one of those. 206kw, 363nm torque, and the torque curve is virtually flat from 3000 to 5000rpm, they start building boost at 2000rpm and will do 6 seconds to 100kmh. They also happen to be a comfortable mid sized car with 4 seats and never break down! (well at least the manuals, the autos are crap)

they can be pretty sweet cars when there not ghetto'fabd out.

my mates one...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Togate

Hey all, just wondering what you all would suggest.

Turbo or V8 in a e30 318i?

And what would be cheaper?

Cheers, Danny.

there mite still be the rotary e30 on TM. now that's some funny sh*t. :lol:

there mite still be the rotary e30 on TM. now that's some funny sh*t. :lol:

Yeah I've seen that haha. Would be pretty sweet though.

540 > 325.

I'd rock a stripped, manual 540i over a crappy 30.

And listen to CamB, any power in an E30 is an expensive exercise. If you just want cheap power/giggles get a Japanese car. Chances are said Japanese car would have a better suspension setup too.

If I were after a overpowered road car I'd get the aforementioned 1JZ Altezza. Over any BMW.

*dons flame suit*

LOL JiB...

your asking for trouble there....love it

Togate, tell him to jump onto clubvr4 and tell us all about it :) I like the wheels and that offset.

320guy - better than some 25 year old sh1tty sedan that was never designed to go fast at all, such as ohh I don't know, perhaps an E30 316/318/320?

Togate, tell him to jump onto clubvr4 and tell us all about it :) I like the wheels and that offset.

320guy - better than some 25 year old sh1tty sedan that was never designed to go fast at all, such as ohh I don't know, perhaps an E30 316/318/320?

Haha you talking about the VR4? A japanese family car designed to be fast, haha yeah right. People that rice out these family wagons crack me up.

Never said a e30 316-320 was designed to be fast.

Want a hand with that foot?

Haha you talking about the VR4? A japanese family car designed to be fast, haha yeah right. People that rice out these family wagons crack me up.

Never said a e30 316-320 was designed to be fast.

Want a hand with that foot?

for bang for buck its all good, not everyone can afford high specd BMW's. Spend the money in the right places on some jappas you got a great track/road weapon for half the price you would spend on a bmw. At the end of the day it comes down to personal taste and what you're really looking to gain out of the vehicle.

Edited by Togate

The E30 Chassis has more racing pedigree than all the VR-4 chassis's added together... regardless of how slow the production model was/is.

Seeing as this is a BMW forum, you can't expect much sympathy/cred for modded jap. family wagons.

I wouldn't expect that for a BMW in a Mitsi forum.

OT. It doesn't look too bad, other than having the bumper chopped, but I can hardly talk LOL.

320guy, you find me a faster car for the $5-7k that VR-4's tend to sell for, which was the point of my post, the original thread creator wants to go fast for not much money, VR-4's are excellent value and anything that has that much power, weighs 1550kg, and has the same 4wd setup as an EVO 4/5/6, complete with AYC is not going to be slow, either in a straight line or around corners.

Ohh btw, here is mine http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/uploaded/786/1204159657.jpg

It makes 228kw at the wheels, gets up to 230kmh at Pukekohe, has climate control, 5 seats and room in the back. I couldn't ask for anymore in a car :)

E30-323ti, I didn't really expect a positive reaction, as I said though I was merely offering one as a solution to the whole idea of going fast cheaply.

Ohh and the other way around...fact of the matter is that everyone on clubvr4 is insanely jealous of my 850CSi :)