Sign in to follow this  
bravo

One Man's Crusade Against The Personalised Plates Monopoly

wouldnt that be a reason to buy the ones with the german font? for the most part they are almost identical to the untrained (cop) eye, but those scanners wouldnt pick it up. and anyway, there are two legal fonts in NZ, so that in itself will cause issues.

It'd be relatively easy for them to write the software to pick up the various fonts. You forget that the software will also have to account for various screws, dents and chips which are on all the plates out there. I don't think there will be anywhere to hide :ph34r:

The system already exists and is being run in some speed camera vehicles at the moment. It can read other fonts. Currently the police are gathering statistics and a database only. No enforcement is taking place.

They also driving the vehicles around industrial areas collecting parked car info. It wont be long before it becomes BAU with this.

Posted Image

Machine learning for font recognition has pretty advanced, the automated postal sorting systems have been using it for some time. Different number plate fonts would be no issue. In Queensland, W.A. and I am sure other states there are differences in the fonts of state issued plates, some vanity plates have different lettering and spacings and they have introduced automated licence plate readers in police cars a while back.

This system is being tested in NZ. They started in Auckland a few years ago, but havn't heard anything more since.

Its called ANPR, Automatic Number Plate Recognition. I went through a police check point on the Pakuranga Highway only last week where they had one of these vans parked 50m before the check point.

Seemed to work very well, they had 8-10 cars pulled over on the side of the road.

The system already exists and is being run in some speed camera vehicles at the moment. It can read other fonts. Currently the police are gathering statistics and a database only. No enforcement is taking place.

They also driving the vehicles around industrial areas collecting parked car info. It wont be long before it becomes BAU with this.

Posted Image

I've been seeing these around for a while now, the ones I've spotted generally have been right before or after going through booze bus stops...Had been wondering whether they're collecting data or issuing infringements.

Edited by Blackie

I have seen people with no plates on at all

or plates completely obscured (very common)

or those stickers people print themselves and use as plates

and I've seen cops drive past, or follow those people and not pull them over

I wonder if they get fined at all?

they are breaking the same law that the fake german plates falls under

Edited by Wom

I have seen people with no plates on at all

or plates completely obscured (very common)

or those stickers people print themselves and use as plates

and I've seen cops drive past, or follow those people and not pull them over

I wonder if they get fined at all?

they are breaking the same law that the fake german plates falls under

It IS Upper Hutt though, if you were a cop would YOU pull over a rough as guts 80s Falcodore with no plates on? :P

actually was more referring to the cars I see in Wellington city during lunch break :)

yep just winding you up. i saw a brand new Scania truck on the motorway today with no plates