Sign in to follow this  
bravo

One Man's Crusade Against The Personalised Plates Monopoly

Ollie - AFAIK they DO record what sort of plate you have - mainly so that they have a record of you returning your old plates in as they don't want two sets of plates out there for people to stick on similar cars.

Petition signed and I will send a letter to parliament, we all should.

Did a quick Companies register search, Owners are ...

Lubeck, Jeremy

Lubeck, Marilyn

see if they have any connections ....

Ollie.....I think you'll find they are married to each other :P

BTW. Good work Graham...keep us posted. If the prices come down I'll buy my plate

Edited by *Glenn*

Hi Guys...

Yes, buying euro plates here in NZ is an ABSOLUTE TOTAL RIP OFF!!! We all know that... I bought my set from the UK, The German "D" style including the Euro numberplate surrounds for just under NZ$100.

I had them on my car for months (and for 3years on my previous BMW)...then last Saturday morning, crusing down the Southern Motorway minding my own buisiness, some "idiot" with nothing better to do, in a sporty unmarked Commodore pulled me over ... I was given a ticket for $200.00 for using "Unauthorised" Plates on my car. And I had to take them off there an then - and then drive away with no plates on my car (until I got home and put on the old boring ones)... THIS IS BUREAUCRACY GONE MADD....

Surely the speed cameras can detect and recogise other number plate fonts? they have to for the very old black/silver ones, the first of the white/black ones, the latest style black/white ones... so they should just tell their computer to look at another font?

It is NOT part of a WOF inspection to have to check the 'legallity' of the type of number plate.

Just a price drop on having a plate manufactured is what we need, the cost of buying the “personalised plate†in NZ is cheap in comparison to other countries and states abroad.

The missus got a warning the other day.. Cops reasoning was that criminals could have any plate they like produced and fit it to any car, makes sense.

We carry around the original plate in the boot anyhow.

Posted Image

They are cracking down at the moment on plates .. Im being hassled a lot for my reflective numberplate decal on my front bumper. Haven't been ticketed for it but its a constant talking point. (3 times in the last 2 months)

Seems its now a topic of concern for all police.

Im happy changing to euro plates but not at $400.

it pisses my off seeing these euro plates on jappas or non euros ..for us it should be a normal thing

whats the law if you have one of these or a car like this where there is no room to put a number plate on the front?

you would think that a reflective sticker number plate would do?

or there are 2 options left.

1- Keep the number plate on your dash board or

2- design a plate holder for your enzo that screws into your million dollar body work lol

post-1647-1228778901_thumb.jpg

Basically to do what I have to do. Sticker. its not legal but you can usually explain to the police why you have it instead of a real number plate.

I'm the student rep on my school BOT, and at the moment the commerce commission is investigating the sale of uniforms, as most schools have an exclusive deal with a retailer that prevents competition.

Surely this is the same thing but with plates???

Heard about that on the radio this morning. Sounds much the same to me.

Will be. In fact have started contacting all of aforementioned groups, writing letters takes time and phone calls only get you so far...

whats the law if you have one of these or a car like this where there is no room to put a number plate on the front?

2- design a plate holder for your enzo that screws into your million dollar body work lol

From memory I think you can be "Green Stickered" if you have your number plate in your window and not screwed on the car.

Laurence

it pisses my off seeing these euro plates on jappas or non euros ..for us it should be a normal thing

Why? If there is space fit one!!

Seems as im picture whoring it up..

Posted Image

PS: Vectra is Euro if that’s what triggered you.

This was discussed on Eurosport (bimmersports stoner cousin) some time ago, there is a member called Esprit, he has a lotus Exige and has had a few probs with the cops because of his sticker plate.

All the more reason to snap a photo of a cop care with euro plates!

Will be. In fact have started contacting all of aforementioned groups, writing letters takes time and phone calls only get you so far...

Sweet .. maybe wait before contacting the media with this. Once a complaint is lodged with the commerce commission, its probably going to take a few more complaints for them to do anything.

Once the commerce commission had several dozen complaints about Telecom for several broadband issues they started the investigation. The media then got involved thus placing the issue in the public eye and pressure ont he commerce commision to come up with something. Once the media has it, youll find more and more support from other people like us that feel the same way.

So, ground work first then early next year after non-returned phone calls / letters then is good ammo for a story. Getting everything right from the outset, and not leaving yourself open for broadside from reporters that play devils advocate.

This was discussed on Eurosport (bimmersports stoner cousin) some time ago, there is a member called Esprit, he has a lotus Exige and has had a few probs with the cops because of his sticker plate.

Yup, 'tis me (I lurk here occasionally).

Firstly, Personalised Plates Ltd. (PPL) makes a KILLING. They are (I would imagine) the biggest dollar-value advertiser on NZ's largest radio station (Newstalk ZB) and right across the TRN stations (The Radio Network, which includes ZM, Hauraki, Radio Sport, Classic Hits etc.). Given that as a business they must have f*ck all overheads (considering they do NOTHING other than sync with the national database and order the plate from Licensys)... they're making a killing. Their markup is truly excessive.

PPL DO have a govt-sanctioned monopoly and this is for good reason. It keeps NZ's plate system easy to manage and regulate from a point of view of restricting forgery. I do a lot of work for the plate manufacturer Licensys (who are nothing to do with PPL, merely another link in the official supply chain).

In the end, it's not that people have a problem with the monopoly per-se... we can see there's a valid reason for having just the one accredited "vanity plate" supplier. What we DO have a problem with is the fact that while the number of suppliers are regulated, their pricing structure is not. The price jack-ups that have gone on over the past decade is ludicrous and needs to attract the attention of the commerce commission. In short they've been taking the piss.

People would be HAPPY to pay $150 for a euro plate upgrade to their standard plate and maybe up to 450-500 for a euro personalised plate at the top end... but every time we check the plates.co.nz the price has gone up another $100. It's got to stop.

As for sticker plates, yep they're illegal. Anything other than an issued plate is illegal. I've got a 50% scale stick on in the front and will keep it for no other reason than mounting a full size plate on mine legally (at the front and substantially vertical):

a ) Will block, almost entirely, the radiator intake duct on my car, causing rapid overheating of the engine, causing ~$15k worth of damage.

b ) Will, if hung lower, block the oil cooler intake, causing rapid overheating of the engine as above as well as possible risk of fire and total loss of the vehicle. Plate will also disappear at the first standard driveway entry.

I'm happy to accept a $250 fine every couple of years as this is vastly cheaper than replacing an engine. The penalty does not attract demerits so I just see it as an extra tax.

I’ve been let off by some cops after pleading my case to them (I’ve got a clean licence and don’t tend to get pulled over for speeding etc) with only one pinging me for it. She booked me with the excuse “I see what you mean sir, but if I ticket these boyracer idiots over with no front bumper on and no plate, I have to ticket you tooâ€.... to which my reply was a slightly more politely worded version of “No you don’t you dozy nazi bint, you have discretion to apply the law as you see fit and to waive a fine if you feel my reason for infringing is justifiedâ€.

I’ve another plan for hopefully avoiding being pinged for this in future but I won’t publish it here in case I ever end up in court over it I’d like it that there’s not an internet-archived run-down of my legal defence that could potentially be used against me.

In short though, unless you can afford the $250 fine or the time/money to fight it, then just fit a legit plate.

Mind you, with the fine at $250, you can afford to get booked a couple of times rather than forking out PPL’s extortionate fees to be legit, especially since the offence does not attract demerits (yet, anyway).

Edited by Esprit

Graeme, how did this end up for you?

I've meet the guy who started PPL (Murray Thom - who know does the NZ Songbook) and obviously have my own resale plates business (www.greatplates.co.nz).

I'd be very interested to see how you got on...

Probably not so well judging by the dates.

Would be nice, My only gripe with the whole thing is the Council is allowed to fine you for the wrong plates. this means, no chance to explain, likely to get you when you're not looking.

IMO the council are not the police, and should f**k off and go give people parking tickets for parking infringements not bald tires and plates that you can read but are "illegal"

2011. I'm still rocking the same highly deadly and illegal black euro plate and still haven't been pulled over.

I'm thinking the cops have a new thing to focus on as I have been pulled up a few times without mention.

Posted Image

I got pulled over the other day for mine, the coppa said they're targeting illegal plates again.

14 days compliance made the conversation pleasant too.

Be careful ;)

I still love the fact i was issued a warning for my german rear plate and no a mention of the sticker front plate i had.

True. That sucks. So 14 days to swap em back and prove it to who?? VTNZ don't care.

Five years and no problems.

Maybe they just can’t see my car, it’s quite stealth.

Have to take the car to a police station.

I just took mine into AK Central since I was going part, they had a quick look, signed off a form that I have to send in with the original fine, it'll be reversed but kept on record.