Sign in to follow this  
Bigz

Advantages/ disadvantages between earlier & later e36 m3

Hi everyone new here and I'm ditching my current ride in favour of a e36 m3 btw I'm in Australia. Now I've been trying to research certain things between the earlier e36 and later 3.2 evo models.

Here is basically the low down of my intentions. If the vehicle I purchase is low millage and healthy engine than I won't touch the internals at least for the initial stages of modifications, just a thicker head gasket with stronger head studs to suit turbocharging. Apparently the ecu on the earlier vehicles is modifiable but this is irrelevant as I intend to go a stand alone aftermarket ecu anyway. I hear the double vanos isn't as reliable would this be amplified by pushing the HP? Later 3.2 has coated rods and lighter pistons but does this mean the pistons would be more susceptible to detonation in my application?

Things I'd like to know. How tough is the 5speed manual in comparison to the 6 speed getrag (which I know is very strong)

Does the 3 litre have any advantages/ disadvantages over the 3.2 when in a forced induction application. Eg. stronger block etc.

Sorry for all the questions but I'd really like to hear from people in the know as I've spent hours googling and come up with practically zero info.

To my knowledge, the 3.0 is generally a more stable engine all round and tad easier to modify.

I think you best bet for info would be Matt aka "ecko_complex" as he has already turbo charged his 3.0.

I have also seen some degree of discussion that the 5 speed is stronger, although the 6 speed seems pretty solid...

If it matters, the Evo has the large case diff which is a strong monster of a thing.

I was under the impression the 6-Speed was a Getrag, if its anything like the six speed Getrag in the Supra as it should handle BIG Power!

Either engine will have its issues turbo charging, im sure there are a few on here that can help you out. One would think the 3.0 is a better base if you don’t plan on gutting too much of the stock internals.

Does the Evo run Canbus?

Welcome to Bimmersport.

I was under the impression the 6-Speed was a Getrag, if its anything like the six speed Getrag in the Supra as it should handle BIG Power!

Either engine will have its issues turbo charging, im sure there are a few on here that can help you out. One would think the 3.0 is a better base if you don’t plan on gutting too much of the stock internals.

Does the Evo run Canbus?

Welcome to Bimmersport.

Thanks everyone for the input. Precisely what my assumption was. Big HP GTR's and even bigger HP supras using factory getrag boxes. I am leaning towards the Evo as naturally it seems advantageous and its newer, but I think it prudent to do my research first considering my intent to modify. Although surprisingly there isn't always a big price difference between good condition evo's and earlier M3's here. If anyone else has something to add I'm all ears. Btw how true is it that the double vanos is unreliable?

You could always pm morerevsm3 on bimmer, he is in Aussie also with a modded E36 M3, seems to know alot about them.