Sign in to follow this  
Guest Andrew

Oil for E30 m20.

Guest Andrew

I'm curious to know what oil your all putting in your e30s. Synthetic?

I'm undecided.

don't use fully synthetic in those old engines its too thin and just not right, ideally use grade 10w40 thats bout the thinest u want. i use castrol magnatec semi synthetic 10w40 and jerry uses shell helix 10w40. whatever you prefer but i definately recomend semi synthetic

magnatec is the shiz. go synthetic.. seriously.

Well Ive only done 300 kms on my full rebuild, but Im using Penzoil GT 20w 50. I dont see any point in switching to a syn oil. The engine was not built with it in mind by BMW. Plus I will be changin oil every 5000 kms, if not less. I see no benefits, especially on a engine that is not multi valve and does not run close tolerances. :P

Well Ive only done 300 kms on my full rebuild, but Im using Penzoil GT 20w 50. I dont see any point in switching to a syn oil. The engine was not built with it in mind by BMW. Plus I will be changin oil every 5000 kms, if not less. I see no benefits, especially on a engine that is not multi valve and does not run close tolerances. :P

you have to remember that with mineral oils they add crap to the internals faster than synthetics and they break down alot faster to so you actually 'Have' to change at that freq or damage will occur...

BMW didnt have Synthetics in mind probably because they wernt around in the 60's? :P

LOL, Syn oils are overrated. As I said before this is not a multivalve engine, it does not run the close tolerances that many a late model engine is running. Ask any engine workshop what they would recommend for the M20 engine. Oh and syn based oils have been around alongtime. My car was built in 1987, yes the M20 design is old, BUT they have not changed the recomendation for the oil. Syn were around in 1987. Are you saying if you run a syn oil, you will leave it in the engine longer? NICE. lolololol. :D

Oh and by the way, I would not underestimate a GOOD quality mineral oil. Guess what about your magnetec? Its a real stretch to say its a semi syn oil anyway. Infact I believe from memory Castrol got in the poo for calling it one.

Most syn oils come from mineral oil anyway. lol.

Dont get me wrong I think syn oils are great, but not well suited to M20 engines. :D

Are you saying if you run a syn oil, you will leave it in the engine longer? NICE. lolololol. :D

i did not say that at all. I said that you Have to change the oild that frequently because the oils lubricating properties break down faster than a semi/fully synthetic oils...i change my oil every 5000km not matter what oil is in it..and i recomend this to anyone (especially those with mineral oils running.)

yes the magnitec is a semi, i dont recall castrol gettign in the poo about calling it a semi as it has semi syn components - making it classed as a semi syn. :rolleyes:

LOL, Im sorry if you never heard about it. It was quite big in the oil/synthetic market. Next time they should let you know. :rolleyes: Dude it was a pretty big uproar in the oil industry. Regarding the fact Castrol had switched from using polyalphaolefins to using hydroprocessed mineral oil. Unfortunatly for the consumer the ruling body let it go, GUESS what, all your Castrol oil is NOT a true synthetic. Most engine oils are not. Hence we get fed these stickers on oils saying Semi/ Fully synthetic. Alot of it is crap.

Regarding your statement that you change your oil every 5000 km. Excellent, but that is exactly my point if you change your oil on a reg basis there really is no benefit to paying more money for a synthetic oil. Synthetic oil does hold up better, BUT what they dont tell you in there fancy pants ads. Is that no matter what oil it is, the dirt from intake etc ends up in the oil filter, (So that still requires changing) Plus the combustion byproducts find there way into the oil. Which really lead to requiring replacement.

All oils have detergents, and additives which enhance the quality of the products. Mineral oils have some of the best. Dont get me wrong a synthetic oil is a wonderful product, but the word synthetic is not what it use to be. So why pay more. Magnetec is a great oil, I just dont feel its a better oil than some mineral oils. I dont believe it is available in the USA because of misinformation regarding what the product can do and what it says it can do. You might want to ask Castrol about that, lolol. They ussually go very quiet on the matter.

http://www.1st-in-synthetics.com/articles7.htm

http://www.1st-in-synthetics.com/articles5.htm

http://www.1st-in-synthetics.com/newsletter_1000.htm

http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/i...&additives.html

This one below has another article regarding Castrols change to the oil. This change was done to there whole range of oil.

http://www.f150online.com/forums/archive/t...pic/4996-1.html

I better stop raving.

:D

and lets not forget that expecially on older engines, regular oil will be better coz its more viscous.. Synthetic may be too thin and end up leaking out, whereas regular will seal the cylinders.. SO yeh, on an E30 its probably safer to stick to regular, unless youre sure all the seals are 100%..

"What other place in nz can people go to to argue about oil?

NONE WHATSOEVER. BIMMERSPORT.CO.NZ"

we should make it an advert!

so your telling me the word synthetic is a ...er....synthetic. :huh:

WOH..blows my mind that one :blink::blink::wacko:

No Im telling you that synthetic oil is no longer made up polyalphaolefins, instead it is made up of hydroprocessed mineral oil.

So INFACT is it synthetic. There are oils out there that are truly synthetic. Just not most of them.So when you go and pay more for a synthetic oil, you are really buying a highly refined mineral oil. Nothing wrong with that, JUST it AINT synthetic. Before anyone starts really getting into the nitty gritty, I am talking very broadly here.

No..i wanna know about this Word ..synthetic...your telling me its a fake...i blame the asians...they make fake everythings..and now theyre making fake synthetic words.....bastards

ahhh this hurts my head now..im out!

:lol::lol:

I am talking very broadly here.

yes i agree :P

cause it matters i drive a honda... get a new line :angry:

Just coz it runs on synthetic soy! :D

:lol::rolleyes: i was waiting for you. B)

good thing i dont have anything like that huh. ask homy im the non rice master.. (he is more rice :P jk homy)