Sign in to follow this  
wobbly47

I'm in love.......and this time its real ;-)

They look pretty good and pretty huge, my 18s look way smaller than that!

better than a poxy little three series(IMHO) ;)

+ 1 eh Glenn LOL

EDC-electronic damper control-there will be a button marked as such under the obc-it lets you select comfort or sport mode on your suspension-it defaults to "comfort" .Give it a bang-you'll notice the difference-report back!

IMO 18s are the way to go.The 19s just make the ride too hard with no performance gain & to me they just look toooo big.

For a really good tire-continental conti sport are the bomb----if you can stand 700+ each which is why mine is still running on tha spare after blowing one!!! haha.

I'm running 19" also. The ride is a bit more stiff, i think the next time i need tires i'm going to a slightly bigger profile tires. But i got such a good deal on these i couldn't pass it up. $1995 for the mags and tires (Dunlop Sport Maxx). The only other thing that i may consider doing is just lowering the front by 30mm or so.

post-156-1233219061_thumb.jpg

hey that 540 looks stunning with those mags!! are they 35 profile? Awesome colour car too! I saw an exact same set of wheels on trademe really wanted them but they wouldnt fit a 540 ;-( thought they'd look sweet tho.....hoping the M6 ones will look as good, Hoping to avoid the wildlife but its pretty hard up here!!

RE Sports suspension button yup mines got it....thanks for that will give it a go tommorow......does it really make a difference? Cant wait to try it! Are there any other toys on this thing I need to know about?

Have any of you guys tried a K&N type panel filter on a 540i do they make any difference, are they worth the money?

Sorry to keep asking questions but anyone know how to get the dvd sat nav working 4 over here? Also can u retrofit parking sensors?

cheers

hey darkwolf what make of facelift tail light are they on yours? I'm looking at some hella ones, asume they will be good quality being german?

I've got a 530 and a blitz pod filter, it does make a slight difference. But next step i need to install an Cold Box.

hey that 540 looks stunning with those mags!! are they 35 profile? Awesome colour car too! I saw an exact same set of wheels on trademe really wanted them but they wouldnt fit a 540 ;-( thought they'd look sweet tho.....hoping the M6 ones will look as good, Hoping to avoid the wildlife but its pretty hard up here!!

RE Sports suspension button yup mines got it....thanks for that will give it a go tommorow......does it really make a difference? Cant wait to try it! Are there any other toys on this thing I need to know about?

Have any of you guys tried a K&N type panel filter on a 540i do they make any difference, are they worth the money?

Sorry to keep asking questions but anyone know how to get the dvd sat nav working 4 over here? Also can u retrofit parking sensors?

cheers

You talking about mine or Dark's one ?

sorry for the confusion Aliluya, was talking about darkones, although now ive seen your that looks awesome too!!

You are exactly right 235/35/19. I was worried about the (hubcentric ring I've been told that's what it is) not being correct. But they were perfect. They mags had apparently been on an M5 (which I think after listening to the guy was just an M-Sport 540i) so everything was meant to fit perfectly and it did. Even gave me some new wheel studs with them.

The EDC DOES make that much of a difference. Just like with anything though, don't take out word for it. Slowly try it for yourself. I'd hate for you to go out and think you can take a corner like a mid-80s F1 car. If you want to see the difference drive along a straight road. Feel for bumps, turn to sports mode, feel for bumps. Then find a corner you know, take it without and then with EDC. You'll know immediately the difference.

I've looked briefly at changing the filter to a higher flow filter but I experienced real issues with my Celica with a pod filter, I changed back and the problems went away. I just don't think unless you are seriously looking for more power you need to worry about it in a 540i. Do you really think that BMW sat back and said we'll restrict airflow for shits and giggles, it might have been designed to quieten down the engine but I'd be willing to bet performance wouldn't have been sacrificed enough to make the pod filter a worthy investment. If you want more noise remove the bulbous things attached to your exhaust (I haven't done this as I'm still wrapped with my car, but I've been told by the mechanic who used to do work on my car when I lived in Hamilton they would only be there to quieten down the exhaust). Then again there is something to be said about beating an HSV with a car that quietly sits while they roar and spit beside you.

hey darkwolf what make of facelift tail light are they on yours? I'm looking at some hella ones, asume they will be good quality being german?

Yeah I love them. Really updates the look of the car. I've also got some angel eyes installed as well. Sadly these were installed before I bought the car and as such I have the invoice somewhere (full history) but it is in Japanese so would take me ages to find the right one. Will try over the weekend though. In the mean time the only part numbers I can find are as below:

BM052S-R (and -L respectively)

A quick google search has been fruitless but then I'm at work so had to be careful about how much I used my google fu.

cheers

I've got a K&N panel in mine & yes I do think it makes a small improvement in responsiveness & yes definitely worth the money.From what I read its not advisable to put pod filters on-lets in too much crap apparently.

You can download the owners manual in PDF file-do a google.If I can find it on my pc I'll PM you the link.

If you want your car to sound knarly the cheapest way is to remove the resonator at the back & just replace with straight pipe-my mate just did on his m-sport & cost around a hundy at a shop-sounds cool but not obtrusive.

If you want to go a step further you can check out my DIY in my albums.

Yes you can retro PDCs but why? Believe me theyre a pain in the a...e!!

When I had my 740 I did 2 things every time I jumped in---Turn off the EDC & turn off the PDC

Cheers for the info guys, sorry for my lateness iin replying as we had our first baby yesterday......a little boy, it was a close run thing as we nearly had him in the 540i on the way to hospital.....she was having contractions and wanting to push on the way there!!!! Oh no not on the leather please!!!!! We had a little boy 20 minutes after getting to hospital!! That might have been a first for the forum.....being born in a BMW? LOL

Re EDC IT really does make a difference....just going down SH1 gently turning the wheel side to side, normal lovely 540 softness and squishyness.......hit the button and the whole thing tightens up very impressive, and a lot lot better when u are pushing her round the tight stuff. With this EDC I'm hoping its not like on the Citroens etc is it?? With hydro oil spheres etc that leak and the suspension stops working?? How does it work anyone know?I should google it.

Re filter....wanted a reusable replacement for the paper one and to keep the standard airbox, more for cheaper servicing and if it helps throttle response and makes the induction noise a bit throatier then thats a bonus!! you guys are right a pod type normally buggers up your car gives it flat spots everywhere and generally helps destroy your motor sucking in foreign objects for very little gain IMHO.....I'm going to order a simota panel filter which i've been told is as good as a K&N but a lot cheaper......I'll let u know if its any good and what the quality is like when it turns up.

Re parking sensors they were to keep the missis happy and save any bumps as you cant see the bum at all when u are parking.....any one put a reversing camera on the tv screen, that might be an option otherwise?

Rotty couldnt find DIY in your albums to see what u are on about........i might be a bit thick tho ;-)

Anyway guys gotta go now as its getting late and the little one has finally gone to sleep!

cheers Dean

Congrats on having the baby!! LOL you sure it wasn't the driving with EDC on that made your partner start to have contractions :P

Would be interesting though, they just had an article in the paper on baby names for babies born in cars etc, some lady called her baby micar. Not too sure what you could have named your little one had it been born in the back seat :P

Laurence

Congrats on having the baby!! LOL you sure it wasn't the driving with EDC on that made your partner start to have contractions :P

Would be interesting though, they just had an article in the paper on baby names for babies born in cars etc, some lady called her baby micar. Not too sure what you could have named your little one had it been born in the back seat :P

Laurence

LOL could have the EDC eh?? Thanks for the congratulations........we are stoked!

Dont think the missis would like Beemer as a name.

cheers Dean

Congrats on the baby.

Reading that post I could just imagine the situation. "She's going to need a comfortable ride, though there is a chance that she make a mess of the leather... Damn I wish I had a roof rack..."

But seriously congrats. Now you've gotta share that love with the BMW, just don't forget which one comes first :P

Welcome Deano. Great choice - good to see yet ANOTHER black E39 540 !

... and congrats on the arrival of your son. Your whole life will change for the better (as mine did when we had our wee fella). Don't worry about the leather, it all washes off. Just remember where you left the smelly nappies after that emergency back seat change....

Mike

Cheers for that Mike, must remember the nappy advice ;-) we are stoked about the little one he's awesome.

re 540i sorry mines silver, will post the pics of her when the new mags and rear lights go on...cant wait.

Was gutted today some idiot in a car park dinged my door after i made sure i was parked miles away from anyone.........grrrrrr, hardly noticable but i know its there..... is it worth having anything nice sometimes?

oh well.

cheers Deano

LOL, it seems quite common for new families to buy E39's.

When my wife got pregnant we got an E39 too, but 530 tho. Mines SILVER too, hahaha.

And yeah it's so worth changing the rear lights to OEM clears (not altezza style). Used to be new style lights but amber, then we changed it to clear. looks so much better.

post-3968-1233957703_thumb.jpgpost-3968-1233957690_thumb.jpgpost-3968-1233957672_thumb.jpg[attac

hment=19012:IMG_1504.JPG]post-16-1083544632.jpg

LOL, it seems quite common for new families to buy E39's.

When my wife got pregnant we got an E39 too, but 530 tho. Mines SILVER too, hahaha.

And yeah it's so worth changing the rear lights to OEM clears (not altezza style). Used to be new style lights but amber, then we changed it to clear. looks so much better.

Aliluya, the e39 seemed a real good buy......very safe built like a panzer tank, loads of room.............and dad can still have fun every now and then. :lol:

Re lights yup they are next on the list to be fitted, have ordered some hella oem clears for the bum and some angeleye xeons for the front should look mint when its done!

heres a few pics of her with the 18" M6'S real updates the car.

cheers Deano

Re the xeons just make sure they aren't HID. As if they aren't auto levelling apparently they are an illegal modification.

Re the xeons just make sure they aren't HID. As if they aren't auto levelling apparently they are an illegal modification.

cheers Darkwolf.......yup i made sure they were legit and self leveling.......read a few posts on here about that,

should be good we hope as the standard ones aint that great.

I just had to replace the high beams in mine (Bird at 100KPH = new bulbs). I put in some narva plus 50s. They are like daylight. I can highly recommend the high beams, I haven't checked the low beams out yet as I'm currently strapped for cash after realising I've been chewing the inside of my rear wheels out.

Actually could you take a photo your car from the back to show how much camber you are running. I am going to take my car in for a wheel alignment as the eyecrometer (and walletometer) are telling me that I am running far too much camber thus increasing the wear on my tyres.

hi darkwolf sorry its taken a while to get a pic, been a bit busy!!!

hope this helps? my drives on the piss which doesnt help alot.... if not I'll see if I've still got my old starrett camber gauge lying in the shed somewhere, if I find it and it works I'll pm ya mate.

cheers Deanpost-3968-1234862374_thumb.jpg

cheers Deano

Thanks for that man. No worries about the wait. I understand you've had other commitments as of late. It confirms my suspicions. Though I sent it in for a wheel alignment yesterday at lunch time. Turns out my RR wheel had -3.3 degrees camber!

Had the wheel alignment completed and now I'm just worried about the 8mm of setback that my car has on the rear. After having a wheel alignment done I'm not keen on the steering wheel sitting where it is. Gonna start a new thread to get some opinions of the alignment, could easily be only my paranoia about any bugger touching my car.

No worries my friend......re alignment, you gotta be careful who plays with it as its too easy for some bugger to make more of a mess than help you, the laser type gear seems the best as you shouldnt be able to bugger it up too much........although it isnt cheap.