Sign in to follow this  
mystery39

E39 Boot lock not working

Hi, I'm having an issue with the boot lock on my E39 - when I try to open the boot using the release on the outside or the one by the drivers foot I get a loud whirring noise (sounds like a cog slipping repeatedly) and the boot won't open. I can still open it with the key, but no joy from the handle/release latch. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks!

Hi, I'm having an issue with the boot lock on my E39 - when I try to open the boot using the release on the outside or the one by the drivers foot I get a loud whirring noise (sounds like a cog slipping repeatedly) and the boot won't open. I can still open it with the key, but no joy from the handle/release latch. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks!

The finger tip grommet under where the number plate lights are, is probably jamming the micro switch. Check the grommet. Take the number plate off and flick the assembly out with a small screw driver and refit the grommet correctly. Refit and it should work. Before you refit it check the micro switch is working... it should make the opening solenoid click

Sounds like your boot lock actuator has stripped out, pull the boot lid trim off and check its operation with the boot up ,close the latch manually by hand with a screwdriver then push the opening button.Check for the grinding noise from the actuator.

streetmagic has hit the nail on the head . your central locking motor has had it !!

+1

If shopping new, try the dealer and also get a price from these guys ...

http://www.motormec.co.uk/

Jeebus, I should read these threads more thoroughly.. than just flicking over them. If you are getting the noise it would probably be the solenoid (actuator) I have a good second hand one here. $75 if you want it. New ones have gone up in price now because the latch and actuator come as one now, not seperate.. The grommet I was talking about is one of the most common problem because people tend to lift the boot with there fingers and push the grommet out of alignment which jams the micro switch.

Edited by *Glenn*

Great, thanks all for your help. No worries Glenn, I managed to isolate the motor as the problem, definitely interested in purchasing yours if possible!

Great, thanks all for your help. No worries Glenn, I managed to isolate the motor as the problem, definitely interested in purchasing yours if possible!

Just give me a call

Just give me a call

Hi Glenn, thanks for sorting our the lock motor for me. However I've run into trouble while fitting it - the electrical connection from the release switch on the car has a 6 pin connector (although only 5 wires) while the lock motor has a 4 pin socket. How can I get around this?

Hi Glenn, thanks for sorting our the lock motor for me. However I've run into trouble while fitting it - the electrical connection from the release switch on the car has a 6 pin connector (although only 5 wires) while the lock motor has a 4 pin socket. How can I get around this?

Well its the wrong one for your car...It is for a E39 but there are two types. I'll have to give you a credit and you'll have to get the correct one for your car.

I was hoping you were going to come with the car as I told Chris to fit it for you when you came in.

I can get you a new one by chassis# less 10% or you'll have to try around to get a 2nd hand one.

Well its the wrong one for your car...It is for a E39 but there are two types. I'll have to give you a credit and you'll have to get the correct one for your car.

I was hoping you were going to come with the car as I told Chris to fit it for you when you came in.

I can get you a new one by chassis# less 10% or you'll have to try around to get a 2nd hand one.

Ah. I see. That would explain it. I'll bring the car in next week if I get time.