Sign in to follow this  
DRTDVL

French Infiltrator - And i won't surrender!

Hello one and all...

Apex invited me to come along on a drive day you guys where having... i had such a blast and you where all wonderfully lovely to chat to i figured i'd sign up.

Since signing up i've found you have a great race section! Fantastic!

Just hope you don't mind have a pug person tagging along...

Heath

Not at all - my best mate a 205 GTI (1.6) which we replaced the suspension on (Konis with 309 arms/beam for camber/width), shorter final drive, various attempts at brakes (309 280mm discs etc then back to 106 ally calipers since they are lighter and it still stops fine).

But you have to supply pics if you want to stick around :)

I appreciate your interest but wheres the BMW Blood in your Veins all I hear is Pug this and Pug that...

rjac001 what ya think i can get away with postin this pic as it's mostly a BMW in frame?

Posted Image

Might want to close your eyes from here on... hmmm

link to pics: http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e346/DRTDVL/205%20MI16/

Cam:

Ya unspung weight is a killer! the 309 suspension is a good upgrade for the 205.

Mines just got the standard 205 brakes and beam/arms at the moment. I am running the mi16 engine (1.9 alloy block) with a 1.6 gearbox... But those BMWs still walked away from me in the fast group on the drive... the only one that didn't was Spottswoode but he had lost some gears...

Edited by DRTDVL

Welcome! Peugeots are interesting things, the last one I drove (2005 307) had more creaks and rattles than a '93 Commodore, and a stereo that randomly turned itself up to max volume. It had character though!

I appreciate your interest but wheres the BMW Blood in your Veins all I hear is Pug this and Pug that...

It's good to have a little diversity here.

Welcome! Peugeots are interesting things, the last one I drove (2005 307) had more creaks and rattles than a '93 Commodore, and a stereo that randomly turned itself up to max volume. It had character though!

My GF has a 2004 307 that we have done a bit of work on and ya a few rattles and creaks =;-)

Just got to say if it wasn't for Peugeot you wouldn't have motorsport and thus no M series...

But those BMWs still walked away from me in the fast group on the drive... the only one that didn't was Spottswoode but he had lost some gears...

Really? With 160hp and (at a guess) 850kg I would have thought you'd deal to everything short of an M3 up to about 120kph.

A decent 205 with fresh suspension and proper tyres should outhandle your average BMW too. My 106 Rallye sure did (former Pug owner ;)).

NICE! how much does it weigh? Bet she goes alright :D

*edit* spelling...........

Edited by Creaver

Really? With 160hp and (at a guess) 850kg I would have thought you'd deal to everything short of an M3 up to about 120kph.

A decent 205 with fresh suspension and proper tyres should outhandle your average BMW too. My 106 Rallye sure did (former Pug owner ;)).

Shhh i'm on a BMW forum with a pug... there is a certain amount of pleasing the natives that needs to be done... :P

There might be more than 160 under there but need to dyno to comfirm... Re: tyres - one M3 owner refered to them as cheating tyres... It's got koni adjustable coilovers on the front and spax adjustable dampners on the back - not ideal but it will do for now.

Creaver: not to sure thinking about making a trip to the dumping station on constalation road on the shore to see if they will weigh it/tell me the weight with a full tank on saturday... but i'm thinking around the 900kg mark

Edited by DRTDVL

Good to have ya along mate. I'm sure once ya settled in it and you've sorted it more you'll be walking me.

Did you find ya trim?

rjac001 what ya think i can get away with postin this pic as it's mostly a BMW in frame?

Posted Image

Might want to close your eyes from here on... hmmm

link to pics: http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e346/DRTDVL/205%20MI16/

Cam:

Ya unspung weight is a killer! the 309 suspension is a good upgrade for the 205.

Mines just got the standard 205 brakes and beam/arms at the moment. I am running the mi16 engine (1.9 alloy block) with a 1.6 gearbox... But those BMWs still walked away from me in the fast group on the drive... the only one that didn't was Spottswoode but he had lost some gears...

Just Having you on you can post whatever you like I think your Car is Cool

Couldnt help but notice the TargaNZ banner on the windscreen, I crewed for a guy from down south who had one of these in targa a few years back, who had the same MI16 conversion done, but running quad throttle bodies and a Link ecu, etc. Theyre suprisingly good handling cars for a FWD setup.

I'll try and find a pic of it and post it up for you if you want.

Good to have ya along mate. I'm sure once ya settled in it and you've sorted it more you'll be walking me.

Did you find ya trim?

Nope never did find it... Even parked up on the roadside and walked up to the second corner of that section that the M3 had it's whoopee on... so oh well... i know where anouther one is that i can grab so ya... I'll be revit nutting it to the car once it's all painted...

Just Having you on you can post whatever you like I think your Car is Cool

Opps forgot the smiley face at the end of that statement... it's all good mister man. =;-)

Couldnt help but notice the TargaNZ banner on the windscreen, I crewed for a guy from down south who had one of these in targa a few years back, who had the same MI16 conversion done, but running quad throttle bodies and a Link ecu, etc. Theyre suprisingly good handling cars for a FWD setup.

I'll try and find a pic of it and post it up for you if you want.

Mark Herbert built the car for himself to compete in the 2002 Targa, it was used in that event and then was stored in the corner of his workshop until i went hunting for a rollcage for my 306 in mid-november...

If its the same one that i'm thinking of that would have been Peter Whyte from dunners... there is anouther 205 that does the targa also - David Walker, thats just a standard 1.9 8v'er - he usually leads the targa tour now...

I would love to see some of the pics..

Nope never did find it... Even parked up on the roadside and walked up to the second corner of that section that the M3 had it's whoopee on... so oh well...

Haha, I saw you walking along the road on my way back.

Very cool little car mate!

Haha, I saw you walking along the road on my way back.

Very cool little car mate!

Haha yah i think a few people saw me walking on the fruitless hunt for missing body trim...

Incidently i've done alot more work to the car... and subsuqently broken the damm thing... grrrr

Found the hydrolic handbrake is causing the rear brakes to have residual pressure after it's been released and causing the brakes to over heat, which has caused the pads to crumble. Greg think there is (as it was described to me) a footlocker in the m/c for the handbrake that is ment for drum brakes and is designed to hold some pressure in the lines to help with the drum brakes not compressing in. or something...

Did a full fluid flush of the brakes and now the m/c we think is dead as i've lost the pedal and all braking is happening now in the last 1/3'd of pedal travel - but i can feel it now! haha

Mounted the battery, fitted the co-drivers seat and harness.

Went to replace the engine oil to see if that was causing the pressure problem, ended up shearing off the nut that was tack welded to the sump plug (square bit sump plug) and had to use the oil temp sensor to drain the engine oil. Then took the car for a test drive to see if we had fixed the oil pressure problem and lost the front drivers side wheel trim... I swear the car is having a hissy fit about the new painted trim and wants it to be the old gray color...

Now i can't make the hillclimb on the 22nd i was aiming for as the first event... really not happy...

Car is currently at Greg Kent's getting looked at.

On the upside, Greg's got a 6bar oil pump spring for me, and we will know if the sump is trapdoored and baffled, and if there is a windage tray also fitted.

Edited by DRTDVL

Right update time:

Last night MLM and I got new terminals on the battery, secured the harness's to the rollbar (big cable ties), got new arch trim, thats about it... 

Current list of problems:

- Suspension way way to soft

- Foot pedal m/c is f @ ked

- Hydrolic handbrake is binding on the rear brakes

- Because of above rear pads crumbled

- Massive water leaks when it rains, thinking it's the holes in the firewall for the rollcage not sealed properly (getting massive footwell 3cm deep puddles)

- Leaking around the rear 3/4 windows

- Need to make a cold airbox up that uses a panel filter so i can put the pipe back in that goes to the idle stepper motor, instead of sucking in filtered unmetered air.

- Need to get radiator header tank sealed.

- Need to roll front arches to fit tyres

- Need to sort out why when the cars oil is above 70^C i'm getting 3psi at idle instead of 30psi. 

- Speedo cable broken

- Speedo dash cover missing - needs replacing - can't find one in the country at a wreakers - there is one on that damaged turners wreck that i've asked the guy who bought it to sell it to me

- Need to get arch trim off greg and find new mounting system to stop them flying off

- Fit window washer bottle / motor and connect to jets

- Need to wirebrush the rear underneath of the car and spray with anti rust paint.

The car is going into get it's Authoritry card inspection today, so hopefully it passes... Then it WOF and Rego time. I've decided i'll put the DRTDVL plates onto the race car.

This weekend i'll be working away on the car also currently the list is:

- Use cardboard to mockup sheilded airbox  

- Use cardboard to mockup cold airbox using a panel filter - thinking behind this is i might put the pipe that feeds the idle stepper motor back on to sort out idle when cold, and the pod is too large then. 

- Seal around rollcage and firewall - stop leaks

- Look at sealing plastic 3/4 windows - stop leaks

- See about testing anouther master cyclinder for brake pedal 

- More to add when i think of them.... 

Edited by DRTDVL

Update from last 2 weekend: 

- Mocked up the cold airbox in cardboard and should have it made in alloy before the weekend so we can make some finishing touches to it as needed. 

- Painted the door handles, rear slam panel, windscreen scuttle plate, and wheel trims

- Modified intake system to reincorporate the idle stepper motor feedline after the MAF

- Increased the coolent % in the cooling system.

- Glued the speedo cover up so that can be fitted this week

- Sealed the leaks around the rollcage bars going from the area in front of the windscreen and down to the driver/co-drivers feet area

- Painted front and rear tow hooks bright red

- Made and fitted heat shield for pod filter out of alloy.

- Fitted washer bottle

- Painted and Fitted new wheel arch trim

- Painted remaining gray exterior plastics

- Painted rear badges - an Alfa metallic silver and brilliant red (basically the brightest red you can get)

- Repainted tow hooks brilliant red

- Cleaned up engine by wiring

- Tested and painted ram scoop headlight 

- Found and fitted speedo cover

- New wiper blades to fit 405 on wiper washer jets

- Painted wiper arms to match rest of exterior blacks

- Passed Auth Card

- Bought heatsheild blanket for trans tunnel protection

- Increased dampening on rear shocks

Also dropped the car off to Greg Kent's today and the oil pressure is FANTASTIC - solid 30psi at hot idle so it's the gauge (vdo) or sender thats gone or both that have gone kaboom... I'll look at replacing them both with a mechanical gauge later and wiring up a warning light like George has...

Other news from Greg:

- Foot pedal master cylinder is shot and needs replacing.

- Brakes are dieing... should look at upgrading from the Bendix to gurling or 306 s16 (266mm) or 307/gti-6 (283mm) as I'm going to need new a master it would be good to size it to what i need now based on the brakes i upgrade too... if i can locate some 306 s16 ones I'll put those back on the 306 and take the 307's off the 306 and put them onto the 205... although it will increase the steering weight a lot... 

- Handbrake master cylinder had no free play and that might be the reason it's binding, might need to look at a new bias valve as thats also possibly the problem.

- Speedo cable looks a little too short and it's now working but might need a new one.

nothing a few grand wouldn't fix... 

opps forgot anouther biggie from Greg:

He checked the gearbox fluid as it's having issuies going into first... and yes lots of metal filings so i'm going to either need to recon this box or get a second box and fix the first one....

i'm now going to have to have a think about what box to run... 

I think i'm going to have to have a very very good read over these pages:

http://www.taylor-eng.com/gearing/be_ratios.htm

and

http://www.taylor-eng.com/gearing/205-405gearing.htm

Nice work.

This would make a good project thread.

Ya it's been six months of working most weekends... All i can say is thanks to everyone thats been helping - Mainly MLM from here... He's managed to keep me sain when all i've wanted to do is crush the damm thing...

With the gearbox, the syncro for first is gone... I can by pass the syncro with a 1200 odd rpm blip before goin into the gear but it's something i need get done as the gears arn't designed to be crashed...

NOTE TO ANYONE!

quickshifters will kill syncro's!

My mate ended up using the 1.9 ratios with a 1.6 final drive. It's mint. Using the Mi16 final drive would be awfully short. He came out of a 106 Rallye so was used to short gearing too.

We used a 21mm master cylinder from a 306 of some sort - it felt good with 307 brakes and like a rock with 106 brakes (but not bad - just very very firm)...

I have a pure hatered / love relationship with it... Do a big chunk of work, and then 5 new things pop up... 

I'm going to be knocked out of action with it for awhile now, as it needs a new gearbox, master cylinder, new brakes, bias valve, new custom lines, and more...

so i'm looking at a min of 2 grand i think probably 3 grand...

I'm going to look at killing a few gearboxes to get the ratio's i want for the box so it's a matter of getting those and pulling it apart, new syncros' or maybe a crash box from the uk... i mean it's only money right? :( 

Attached is the gear ratio's i was thinking about trying to find... Ideally i'd want a first gear to be upto about almost 65 - 70 but oh well... the current engine will rev to 6500, i could go for a 0.810 or 0.757 5th for a extra 10 - 20 kph but i can't see me really getting to those speeds that often... 

post-3969-1239068008_thumb.jpg

My mate ended up using the 1.9 ratios with a 1.6 final drive. It's mint. Using the Mi16 final drive would be awfully short. He came out of a 106 Rallye so was used to short gearing too.

We used a 21mm master cylinder from a 306 of some sort - it felt good with 307 brakes and like a rock with 106 brakes (but not bad - just very very firm)...

From  my understanding the car is currently running a complete 1.6 box... with the mi16 1.9ltr engine the gears are very short...