Sign in to follow this  
bravo

Friendly discussion about Jags

When I was about 13 I really wanted an XJ6. Went off them as I got older once I realised they were probably something your grandad would drive.

I havn't rated Jag as a brand since then until today when I was at a mates place and her Mum has an S Type. Looked the biz sitting in the drive, and it has a 220kw 4.2L v8!

Yeah it's auto, yeah the interior is more plastic than I'd expect from Jag, but when I went on Trademe to have a look you can pick up a 2002 model with less than 50,000kms for just over 20 grand!!!!! Higher kms ones are only asking $16k!!!!

I won't be buying one, but wanted to open Jaguar up for discussion as a brand.

So discuss.....

Guest Simon*

I wanted an XJ6 as a kid too, but yeah went further and further off them the more I heard. Had a mate who was a die-hard fan - he became a very poor but very good self-taught mechanic ;)

As a side note, I've seen a lot of the brand spanking new flagship sedans around (model name escapes me)but with the new grill etc, they don't look like Jags at all - very Lexus'y

As a side note, I've seen a lot of the brand spanking new flagship sedans around (model name escapes me)but with the new grill etc, they don't look like Jags at all - very Lexus'y

Thats the XF I think and the first time I saw one I thought it was a mazda 6 :(

My uncle had an V12 and it was stunning. Always breaking down mind you but it was beautiful to drive. Ive also driven the supercharged XKR and that was just phenominal. I see one in CHC for 20k at the moment too.

More a fan of the mid nineties supercharged XJR myself.

Posted Image

Up until the new XF the XJ has been the only recent Jag I rate as a real Jag, the rest is just ford rubbish with crappy retro detailing.

Guest Simon*

Thats the XF I think and the first time I saw one I thought it was a mazda 6 :(

Yeah XF that's it

Posted Image

XJC series 2. Quite possibly the most gorgeous car ever built.

Would have been quite good if their reliability matched their looks.

post-674-1233520493_thumb.jpg

Edited by tony.

prolly showing my age here but i wanted a mk2 3.6 w od and wire wheels.The row of switches on the dash had a lasting effect.I love busy looking dashes ever since which prolly explains why i love the "presence" of my e34...there more buttons and swithes than i have fingers,n maybe toees too!

Edited by kiwi535

If you look in the galaxy of cars thread i started you can see a v12 late 80's jag sitting next to the cosworth, that thing was pretty badass.

prolly showing my age here but i wanted a mk2 3.6 w od and wire wheels.The row of switches on the dash had a lasting effect.I love busy looking dashes ever since which prolly explains why i love the "presence" of my e34...there more buttons and swithes than i have fingers,n maybe toees too!

Inspector Morse styles.

Mates dad had one, did 120MPH!

I think the S Type is an awful looking car, as is the X Type. The XK is interesting and nice to drive, but I wouldn't touch it for repair costs. A friend had one, a piece of plastic fell off something and lodged itself in the engine, $5,200, two months later the gear box went (common apparently), $7,000, then new brakes, $3,000. That was in the first 5 months. Add $900 for a rear tyre and expensive general servicing and it's no wonder the V8 powered cars are cheap second hand. Pity, because I would love an XJR saloon.

Inspector Morse styles.

Mates dad had one, did 120MPH!

a mate had a 3.8 S type....likea mk 2 but longer in the boot,we did 100 mph UP ngauranga gorge...was a vey quiet unassuming type ,but he was a luntatic in a cor or on a bike,crashed lots but never hurt himself!

Always loved them as well , I would have a supercharged XJR

XJC series 2. Quite possibly the most gorgeous car ever built.

Would have been quite good if their reliability matched their looks.

post-674-1233520493_thumb.jpg

Ahh yes - their association with Joseph Lucas (the dark lord) was legendary. Can't say they have done anything for me until the latest shape XF. Just never stood out as one of those aspirational cars I'm afraid.

Yeah XF that's it

Saw one of those on the roads yesterday. Very nice from the back, but the front is horrible. I got a good look at the back of the car as we were stuck in a huge queue of cars, but once I got in front of it I just ran. That sort of ugly. That photo doesn't just doesn't do it justice. Luckily I saw it through the mirror otherwise I'd of been turned to stone. No Jokes.

Ive always liked the products of Coventry and was happy to see them well represented at the Galaxy of Cars. My favourite being the race spec XJ6 S2.

Posted Image

Posted Image

And of course, the E-Type

Posted Image

Pictures from the day are available here:

http://photobucket.com/Dinesh_photos

Saddly I have a couple of Jags as well as all the BMW's

If this attaches ok, you will see one of them!

post-259-1233606854_thumb.jpg

Wow a Daimler 250 , i love the sound of these. That is one mint looking example mate , apparently the Turner V8's are lighter than the XK units in their Jaguar counterparts.

they are F&^%$ big engines arent they?(the jag sixes I mean)

Edited by kiwi535

Absolutely , maybe thats why they can accomodate a 4200cc displacement aye. I wonder how much bigger you can go? ;) I wonder how much you can push out of these if you use tripple Webber 45dcoes.

Dad has an XK8 soft top that only gets used when I am borrowing his E55 Merc to tow the E30 around. He loves it. Has only done 40,000kms or maybe less. Still looks new. Does play up a bit when the battery has been dead. Typical mid 90's Jag electrics apparently. I like cruising in it. Just have to make sure you have a good looking gal next to ya with the top down.

My favourite is of course the E-Type. God they have just beautiful lines. I really hope to get one at some stage with my Dad.

Are those wheels at the top of the page Simmons or BBS? Ether way $$$$$$$$$

Guest Spottswoode

We got the 87 Sovereign up to 140 on Remuera road once. Tom, don't tell Dad.

Are those wheels at the top of the page Simmons or BBS? Ether way $$$$$$$$$

Simmons OMs

^^^ My fav wheel first equal with BBS LM's.