Sign in to follow this  
fatjoez

Carbon Fibre Bonnets?

Hi there guys

I'm possibly getting a 2003 (Facelift) 330CI and am just wondering

Does anyone know much about carbonfibre bonnets?

Am interested to get an idea of..

prices & the difference in weight between a standard/carbon fibre bonnet

Any help appreciated!

For a coupe, there is only one that actually fits properly.

gtr

http://www.vorsteiner.com/bmw/e46coupe-vrs-hood.html

or standard w/power buldge

http://www.vorsteiner.com/bmw/e46coupe-hood.html

there are some floating about trademe / ebay .. but trust me .. I have seen them in person and they just done line up properly on the car.

• Like 1

For a coupe, there is only one that actually fits properly.

gtr

http://www.vorsteiner.com/bmw/e46coupe-vrs-hood.html

or standard w/power buldge

http://www.vorsteiner.com/bmw/e46coupe-hood.html

there are some floating about trademe / ebay .. but trust me .. I have seen them in person and they just done line up properly on the car.

What exactly is the problem re lining up?

They look like a drunk russian hung the panels.

They have varible gapping and un-even curving between panels. Many of them are made from fiberglass and just carbon fiber coated to keep costs down and they all use low grade resins so they go yellow in the sun after a period of time.

Guest Simon*

They look like a drunk russian hung the panels.

They have varible gapping and un-even curving between panels. Many of them are made from fiberglass and just carbon fiber coated to keep costs down and they all use low grade resins so they go yellow in the sun after a period of time.

That's naff!

How about you get the car first :P

Carbon bonnets are stink.

Was in at Precision Autowerks yesterday and had a talk with Paul the owner and he showed me one of his customers cars. The guy had just bought this e46 m3 and which had generic carbon fiber parts on it, he had it in to get OEM parts put back on. I thought of this thread and took some pictures on reasons why buying cheap parts is a big no no.

'gtr' bonnet gap

Posted Image

melformed curves (bonnet)

Posted Image

'csl' boot doesn't line up

Posted Image

This was just the panel gap. The front had rough edges around the leading edges. The boot had dimples showing through where the boot hinges where and the carboon fiber and clear coat where both going yellow due to UV.

I've got a carbon boot and it lines up perfectly. Clear coat is mint and there are no defects at all.

I am looking for a quality bonnet aswell...

I've got a carbon boot and it lines up perfectly. Clear coat is mint and there are no defects at all.

I am looking for a quality bonnet aswell...

Dont rice it out Erron. I dont think I have even seen a non race car BMW that looked good with carbon parts. At least paint them.

Was in at Precision Autowerks yesterday and had a talk with Paul the owner and he showed me one of his customers cars. The guy had just bought this e46 m3 and which had generic carbon fiber parts on it, he had it in to get OEM parts put back on. I thought of this thread and took some pictures on reasons why buying cheap parts is a big no no.

'gtr' bonnet gap

Posted Image

melformed curves (bonnet)

Posted Image

'csl' boot doesn't line up

Posted Image

This was just the panel gap. The front had rough edges around the leading edges. The boot had dimples showing through where the boot hinges where and the carboon fiber and clear coat where both going yellow due to UV.

I found out why this was. With E46 M3 the fenders are on a slightly different angle, see this below;

Posted Image

With that above image, that is to fit a M3 bonnet on a normal E46. Obviously it is the reverse of what was exhibited on the M3 in the above photos.

Now, I have the bonnet that was on the M3 that didn't fit perfectly, it fits perfectly on my E46 because it was made for E46 non M3 only.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next is to find some wheels that suit the look ;)

Edited by OSiRiS

Do you still have the std e46 bootlid? If so, what kind of condition is it in and what colour is it?

Might be interested in a titanium silver standard bootlid if it is mint....

Do you still have the std e46 bootlid? If so, what kind of condition is it in and what colour is it?

Might be interested in a titanium silver standard bootlid if it is mint....

Sorry no. I put the carbon boot on a few months ago, standard one long gone. I have the bonnet though B)

i think you should paint it the same colour as the rest of the car.

Posted Image

That look is soooo Mitsubishi Erron :lol:

Get some DTM looking wheels to suite that race car look.

That look is soooo Mitsubishi Erron :lol:

Get some DTM looking wheels to suite that race car look.

I have new 18" wheels and tyres as of today, I think it suits the look alot better.

I have new 18" wheels and tyres as of today, I think it suits the look alot better.

We put some new tyres on Erron's new wheels today. The car looks awesome!! The carbon bonnet and boot look cool too! Thanks for coming to see us!

We put some new tyres on Erron's new wheels today. The car looks awesome!! The carbon bonnet and boot look cool too! Thanks for coming to see us!

Good meeting you! And thanks for persuading me on the right tyre size choice.

New 18" x 8" (front) 9" (rear) wheels, 225/40/18 tyres and D2 adjustable suspension

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yes I know, I'm missing the BMW carbon wheel center caps, the BMW carbon hood and trunk emblems -they are on order :P

Those wheels look mint.

I love the hood you have. Currently I am looking for a gtr hood but non carbon. Same style as you. Saw one in Thailand a few months back but the quality was totally poor and not worth it at all.

Your car looks totally mean.

Those wheels look mint.

I love the hood you have. Currently I am looking for a gtr hood but non carbon. Same style as you. Saw one in Thailand a few months back but the quality was totally poor and not worth it at all.

Your car looks totally mean.

Thanks! :D At least it means I'm doing something right :D

Thanks. Still haven't done a day time or rolling photoshoot yet -_-

i can do one for you on our road lol