Sign in to follow this  
*Glenn*

E36 M50/M52 Manual conversion

Glenn this looks great!

If you dont mind me asking, because I am curious, what sort of modification is needed in terms of wiring for this swap,

Good luck (Although you dont need it)

Bugger all... I;m only going manual etc. etc. Remove auto ECU. Recode DME. Connect starter wiring and reverse light wiring to bypas the auto trans inhibitor switch. I'm not cutting the loom. Just in case someone might need it further down the track or convert it back to auto...yeah right :P I'll be posting photos showing all this.... more to come... watch this space

BTW: I did the wiring today.. Photos to follow. I'll recode the DME when the conversion is finished, which will include changing the rev limitation to 7,000 rpm instead of 6,500 rpm

Edited by *Glenn*

Bugger all... I;m only going manual etc. etc. Remove auto ECU. Recode DME. Connect starter wiring and reverse light wiring to bypas the auto trans inhibitor switch. I'm not cutting the loom. Just in case someone might need it further down the track or convert it back to auto...yeah right :P I'll be posting photos showing all this.... more to come... watch this space

BTW: I did the wiring today.. Photos to follow. I'll recode the DME when the conversion is finished, which will include changing the rev limitation to 7,000 rpm instead of 6,500 rpm

you can just fit a yellow 2 pin relay (empty box) in place of the starter relay that by passes all the auto gear lever switch system .

have plenty laying around if you need one

This is what I've done. There are two ignition positive wires. A thin green and a slightly thicker green/white.

I've joined the thin green to the brown/black, which are for the starter. The green/white is power to the reverse light switch and the blue/yellow is feed to the reverse lights. These will be connected when the box goes in. I'll run the reverse light loom from the gearbox through a grommet in the floor where the old auto change cable went through. You can see the grommet in the floor just under the red/white striped wire.

post-1129-1236523190_thumb.jpgpost-1129-1236523616_thumb.jpg

Edited by *Glenn*

One of the reasons why I took the engine out. To enable me to fit the clutch hydraulic pipe in its proper place, and fit the firewall grommets in properly. Virtualy impossible to do with the engine in place.

post-1129-1236523990_thumb.jpgpost-1129-1236524021_thumb.jpgpost-1129-1236524039_thumb.jpg

Not much else I can do at the moment. Waiting on master cylinder and clutch plate from Germany and my flywheel and clutch stop from the USA. I'll get the LSD & 315:1 fitted tomorrow, get the heater matrix checked today...it looks ok.. I was just concerned because it appeared to be leaking a small amount of antifreeze on the gearbox from the air con drain. Anyway I'll get all that back together over the next couple of days and fit the diff and axles. Parts from Germany are meant to be here on Thursday. Dont know about the flywheel though. Its been sent via UPS.

I also fitted new lower outer control arm ball joints and solid eurothane caster bushes.

Edited by *Glenn*

Are you setting the diff up yourself?

Are you setting the diff up yourself?

I'm going to get Diff Specs in Manukau to do it for me

LSD arrived this morning :wub: thanks to Dave (Silver fox)

post-1129-1236544110_thumb.jpg

Heater matrix is fine.. so I'll be refitting that today with new "O" rings and get that side of the interior all sorted and back together.

Geezus... I'm pissed off. I orderd a E34 M5 clutch plate and ended up with a complete E34 M5 clutch kit at twice the price of a clutch plate. The wrong clutch master cylinder and a friggen green centre console gear lever boot? for a Mtech 318 Ti ?? Shits going to hit someones fan tomorrow. Emailed the USA this morning, flywheels on the way. Diff will be ready tomorrow. Anyone want to buy an E34 m5 pressure plate & release bearing ?? $350 incl

Where did you order the clutch kit and other stuff from?

Geezus... I'm pissed off. I orderd a E34 M5 clutch plate and ended up with a complete E34 M5 clutch kit at twice the price of a clutch plate. The wrong clutch master cylinder and a friggen green centre console gear lever boot? for a Mtech 318 Ti ??

Only criticising BMW, and their parts pricing.

And it appears their premium pricing but poor delivery :wacko: That better not be your problem.

Where did you order the clutch kit and other stuff from?

Flywheel from UUC in the states.

E36 M3 Pressure plate, E34 M5 clutch plate, M3 release bearing & M3 slave cylinder all from BMW. The flywheel to replace the dual mass flywheel is made so that the M5 clutch plate is installed the opposite way round to normal.

If anyone needs info about this ring Rob @ UUC Ph. 0016786795360 or email him rob@shortshifter.com

Or you can look here http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/

Appart from the flywheel & LSD, everything I'm using is genuine OEM parts & NEW

BTW: I'm not :angry: any more... had a real busy day yesterday. I'm all :D this morning.. I'll get it all sorted

Edited by *Glenn*

Got my LSD diff back yesterday and fitted it in the afternoon. Cost $912 to install LSD and the new ratio (3.15:1) crown wheel & pinion with all new bearings. Fitted the gearchange support bracket as well. Start reassembling the interior today after refitting the heater matrix. Flywheel should be here next week... more to come

post-1129-1236952317_thumb.jpgpost-1129-1236952329_thumb.jpgpost-1129-1236952354_thumb.jpg

Did a bit today. Refitted the heater matrix & pipe work with new "O" rings. Refiited glovebox & under dash panels on the passengers side.

(1) Fitted body water sealing boot

(2) Sound insulation installed

(3) Centre console all reinstalled

(4) Reverse light wiring loom installed

(5) Ignition locks are different on autos & manuals. Leave the interlock cable installed & cut it just behind the lock

fitting so that the key will still work properly

(6) New gearbox mounts, driveshaft coupling & gearbox cross member fitted to gearbox

post-1129-1236993971_thumb.jpgpost-1129-1236994020_thumb.jpg

post-1129-1236994051_thumb.jpgpost-1129-1236994069_thumb.jpg

post-1129-1236994087_thumb.jpgpost-1129-1236994175_thumb.jpg

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/BMW/Diffs-axles/auction-207011268.htm

Did it only cost you $600 for the E30 LSD? I found this on the trademe with 750 STARTING BID!

God know how much he want for buy now..

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/BMW/Engines/auction-207248718.htm

Also saw this, large case LSD for much cheaper. I guess this one doesn't fit our Ti, or does it?

Edited by Penny

Yes it cost me $600 for the LSD hub assembly. I also wanted to change the crown wheel and pinion ratio from 3.64:1 to 3.15:1 which I was able to get by swapping some parts with Brent. It then cost $912 to have it all installed with all new bearings and seals and set up properly. The $912 at Diff Specs included supplying a full set of new bearings, which are very expensive.

Speaking of Brent (and the latter auction), shill bidding is not ok, ok. I don't care if its under the reserve, its still dishonest.

Oh and first auction is this one I think:

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....mp;#entry227186

Based on my experience of buying 2x medium case LSDs in the past month, price range is $600-750.

Edited by CamB

Yes it cost me $600 for the LSD hub assembly. I also wanted to change the crown wheel and pinion ratio from 3.64:1 to 3.15:1 which I was able to get by swapping some parts with Brent. It then cost $912 to have it all installed with all new bearings and seals and set up properly. The $912 at Diff Specs included supplying a full set of new bearings, which are very expensive.

Are you going get a couple more clutches added?

Edited by Eagle

Speaking of Brent (and the latter auction), shill bidding is not ok, ok. I don't care if its under the reserve, its still dishonest.

Oh and first auction is this one I think:

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....mp;#entry227186

Based on my experience of buying 2x medium case LSDs in the past month, price range is $600-750.

You got a good deal Cam. Based on what I think, the market is asking between $800 and $1200 at the moment.

Asking and selling prices are not the same, and the one I bought from you was the expensive one. I bought the other from Trademe, a week earlier, for less $$$ in a normal auction (I was the only bidder).

Heh, I just rebuilt the diff in the Cossy to a Quaife unit....

Cost so far = 4x what yours has cost :wacko:

Edited by ED1RTY

Heh, I just rebuilt the diff in the Cossy to a Quaife unit....

Cost so far = 4x what yours has cost :wacko:

Yes..I know the feeling. I was hoping to get out of this conversion for about $3,500.. anyway, its all coming along. Just waiting for the flywheel from the States and a few bits & pieces from Germany

Edited by *Glenn*