Sign in to follow this  
*Glenn*

E36 M50/M52 Manual conversion

Nice Glenn. Bet you will be glad you ended up keeping it once you have it all going again :)

Couldn't resist posting a picture of me new knob in place even though the shift gator hasnt arrived from Germany yet... its different from a sedan on the Ti

post-1129-1237214647_thumb.jpg

Buggar....just found out this morning that my flywheel is coming via UPPS instead of UPS :angry:

God knows how long thats going to be

Couldn't resist posting a picture of me new knob in place even though the shift gator hasnt arrived from Germany yet... its different from a sedan on the Ti

post-1129-1237214647_thumb.jpg

That's a nicely polished knob you have there Glenn

Buggar....just found out this morning that my flywheel is coming via UPPS instead of UPS :angry:

God knows how long thats going to be

UPPS .

what does that stand for "utterly poor postal service"

You sure it's not USPS, all my stuff comes that way, no problems yet, normally a 3 to 4 day service.

No its United Parcel Post Service in the USA. and it comes here to Parcel Post.. I'm told it can take between 5 days & 4 weeks :( It left last Monday.. I have a tracking number...its still in the States somewhere

Just a small update. Finished off inside the car, all the hydraulics are installed and I'm now held up for god only knows, waiting for my flywheel. Checked again this morning and it hasnt arrived in NZ. Its somewhere between Montana and Auckland :angry:

post-1129-1237414760_thumb.jpgpost-1129-1237414753_thumb.jpgpost-1129-1237414769_thumb.jpg

BTW: I've also updated part # and prices on page 2 of this thread

Edited by *Glenn*

wow that your black nob looks nice with the leather surround

guts on the flywheel tho

edit spealing

Edited by Jamez

Found out this morning that it left LAX on Friday... well over a week to get from Montana to LAX. Todays Tuesday and its still not here ??? Maybe theyre using the Wright Brothers to fly it here :angry: I so want to get this finished

I wouldn't accept anything less with a wait that long

The wait isn't that bad, I used to have to wait a month for pairs of running shoes from the US. Im sure a flywheel is alot easier to send. Guess thats what happens when you train 100km a week, they wear out fast lol. Customs are usually the worst, up to f**k all.

BTW: Car is looking good, admire you quality of workmanship etc. Factory as.

Edited by Brams

HAVE I BEEN BUSY TODAY :lol: Flywheel arrived...but according to Parcel Post...its still not here.

Anyway.... Flywheel, clutch, gearbox and engine are all back in and just about ready to go. Just waiting for the correct driveshaft, which should be here in the morning.....Coupe driveshafts are different to sedans. I've taken heaps of photos, which I'll put on later or in the morning. I'm going to love this little girls car now :wub:

Edited by *Glenn*

Haha - so their postal service is faster than their communications - NO WONDER things get lost in the post. By the time they track it down it's been and gone days ago.

Good news though - would have been a nice surprise/pressie!

HAVE I BEEN BUSY TODAY :lol: Flywheel arrived...but according to Parcel Post...its still not here.

Anyway.... Flywheel, clutch, gearbox and engine are all back in and just about ready to go. Just waiting for the correct driveshaft, which should be here in the morning.....Coupe driveshafts are different to sedans. I've taken heaps of photos, which I'll put on later or in the morning. I'm going to love this little girls car now :wub:

Well Glenn, you'll just have to give up being a mechanic and become a hairdresser.

Well... yesterday morning we were held up on other jobs so I decided to install the motor and gearbox, then fit the flywheel when it arrived. We fitted it all in and were just about finished when Parcel Post turned up with the kit from the USA. So out with the gearbox and we installed the flywheel, clutch kit and reinstalled the gearbox. Bled the clutch, changed the gearbox oil. We are using Elf Tranself 75w80 full synthetic which stands up better to extreme loadings. This is what alot of the race series guys use. The correct oil as per OEM is G3 full synthetic auto trans oil. I fitted the clutch pedal stop which I will set up once the clutch has bedded in. The diff oil is Elf 75w90 LSD full synthetic. After everything was installed we refilled the engine with BMW coolant, run up the motor and bled the cooling system. Hopefully I'll get the driveshaft this morning and we can finish it off. Just the exhaust to go on then and I can go for a skid.... I mean drive :P Then its off to get a complete new exhaust, twin system with twin tips and I'll get the diffuser altered by Bumper services.

post-1129-1237992502_thumb.jpgpost-1129-1237992517_thumb.jpgpost-1129-1237992533_thumb.jpg

post-1129-1237992583_thumb.jpgpost-1129-1237992593_thumb.jpgpost-1129-1237992675_thumb.jpg

Reinstalling the engine. You'll also see we have replaced the lower outer ball joints and fitted solid Eurothane castor bushes. Alot easier lowering the car down on to the engine and gearbox assembly

post-1129-1237992714_thumb.jpg

post-1129-1237992737_thumb.jpgpost-1129-1237992884_thumb.jpg

The flywheel kit which includes new crank bolts (yes only seven :wacko: ) We had to get new bolts because the only ones here were a slightly different length. Also a new fork pedestal and the clutch pedal stop. We took the gearbox back out and reinstalled everything. Flywheel bolt threads coated with Threebond and torqued to 105nm and the clutch installed refitted the gearbox, bled the clutch and checked that it worked.

post-1129-1237992931_thumb.jpgpost-1129-1237992943_thumb.jpgpost-1129-1237992954_thumb.jpg

Every thing back in, engine has been run up without exhaust and I've installed the clutch pedal stop. Just the driveshaft and exhaust to go on and I can go for a drive.......(cough)..... I mean a skid :P

Any questions about this conversion.... dont hesitate to ask.. its taken about 20 man hours to do. And the cost to do everything we have done with all the brand new parts we have used will be about $10,000 incl Gst Retail once its all finished.

Mod list:

Getrag 5 speed

UUC lightened flywheel

E36 M3 pressure plate and slave cylinder

E36 M3 release bearing

E34 M5 clutch plate

E30 medium case diff with 3.15:1 ratio, LSD hub and all new bearings

New exhaust system, yet to be installed and modify the rear difuser

Plus all the other new parts I have installed which you can read on page 2 with their part# and costs

Edited by *Glenn*

Also while we were doing this I wired in a water level sensor for a precaution, because Ti's dont have one. We used a relay and installed a bulb holder into the instrument cluster using the diesel glowplug warning position for the low water indicator. Works a treat and gives me piece of mind. I've always meant to get round to doing this ever since I installed the M52B28 motor.

• Like 1

Guest Simon*

Any questions about this conversion.... dont hesitate to ask.. its taken about 20 man hours to do. And the cost to do everything we have done with all the brand new parts we have used will be about $10,000 incl Gst Retail once its all finished.

Mod list:

Getrag 5 speed

UUC lightened flywheel

E36 M3 pressure plate and slave cylinder

E36 M3 release bearing

E34 M5 clutch plate

E30 medium case diff with 3.15:1 ratio, LSD hub and all new bearings

New exhaust system, yet to be installed and modify the rear difuser

Plus all the other new parts I have installed which you can read on page 2 with their part# and costs

Awesome :D

That flywheel is sex!

Edited by bravo

I love how they make the parts that youll never see in action so pretty!

yes good work glenn , very tidy setup . :D

oh and thanks for the deal on the m5 clutch .

Having to do a mix & match with the driveshaft. My original rear half with the sedan front half. The rear half needs universals so the whole lot needs to balanced as well. Should get it back tomorrow :D