Sign in to follow this  
Silver Fox

E30 335i Race Car project

Be careful there, I know (especially in the M30's case!) it's all about weight distribution, but that massive cable going through the car all the way to the boot isn't exactly light

Yeah, I did it in the E28, but only brought it to the inside of the firewall and distributed it from there. Hope to do the same with this one.

I've heard something like that as well, guess I've got a bit of homework to do on that bit.

Therez heaps of info about this conversion on e30zone

Therez heaps of info about this conversion on e30zone

There is, but once you start playing with the engine position it all changes. If I go with custom mounts I'll need a custom shaft, unless I get lucky.

Guest Spottswoode

There is, but once you start playing with the engine position it all changes. If I go with custom mounts I'll need a custom shaft, unless I get lucky.

Want me to message one of my boys on r3v? He custom makes E30M30 mounts, in what is described as the best position for the motor. I met him while I was in the states, he's good people. You can just use a regular BMW shaft with his mounts, and they're sturdy as a very sturdy thing.

sh*t Dave - I know you said its about how you prioritise & use your time but it still amazes me how you can turn these cars out in such frequent fashion. I only have one to deal with & at the moment haven't got the time for that - bugger it!

Good on you by the way

Edited by hotwire

sh*t Dave - I know you said its about how you prioritise & use your time but it still amazes me how you can turn these cars out in such frequent fashion. I only have one to deal with & at the moment haven't got the time for that - bugger it!

Good on you by the way

Helps when you don't have too many problems with them Grant, touch wood. ;)

Good work Dave...its good to see another project on the boards. Looks like we'll be holding alot of peoples interests with what we are doing....makes a good change from arguements :P

Box I'm using in this car cost $600, new clutch was $380, custom front shaft around $600, so, yes it is the expensive bit, but it's the bit that makes it so much fun as well. :P

your paying too much for that driveshaft.

pm me

Badass.

Hopefully complete with Silverfox style touchs.

I blink for one second and miss another project by David?! Awesome :D Cant wait to see it, which of the m30's are you putting into this one, have you found a use for the block from my old one? - Look forward to progress!!!

E34 M30 in this one Alex. Your old block has gone to Marty for his turbo project.

E34 M30 in this one Alex. Your old block has gone to Marty for his turbo project.

GREAT POST im going to be doing the same to my e30 in a few weeks i hope. just sussing out the bodywork so i can get a warrent ect. so far ive done e36ti 5stud conv. ( rear is in sweet ) front is in algood too just that one of the front wheels is still sitting back just a lil bit stopping me from getting full lock on one side. so im thinking a bent controll arm. That is with 235's front and 255's rear. engine positions and mounting points will be good to discuss. thanks.

Edited by bmw335i

Great one Dave, good to see its being put to use! Whats the time frame on this 335?

Ready by end of July hopefully.

e30 m30 engine mounts for $300 aud

http://www.bimmerclubinc.com/showthread.php?t=1214

You probably have to log in to see that, heres the post:

Hey guys I have a set of brand new - made in germany M30 engine mounts to suit E30.

These are position 2 and 3 mounts. For people doing the conversion you will know what this means.

For sale @ $300 for both.

Thanks

If you want them I can collect them and send them over for you.

Max

Dave as far as the driveshaft goes, is it just a matter of the length? I only paid $100 max to have mine cut and re-welded for the M50 conversion.

Hi Luke, also have to mix and match the fittings, the M30 box is different to the E30, so need to get the fitting from the E34 shaft and get it welded onto the E30 bit, then get it balanced again.

Hi Luke, also have to mix and match the fittings, the M30 box is different to the E30, so need to get the fitting from the E34 shaft and get it welded onto the E30 bit, then get it balanced again.

Ahh yes as I thought, exactly what I had to do except different box and shaft obviously. I had mine done at a local engine rebuilder... however i did not have the shaft balanced but that would have only cost me another $80.

Luke

That's a real good price, you did good. :)

That's a real good price, you did good. :)

Hah yea not bad, surely you could find a cheaper way Dave..

any more progress on this?

am at a stand still with my e30 not knowing if i should pull my e34 apart or not.

any more progress on this?

am at a stand still with my e30 not knowing if i should pull my e34 apart or not.

Just waiting on engine mounts, and to see if they change the rules in the open class and let Hartge variants enter. If they do, I'll go for the bulkhead change and get the engine back a bit further.