Sign in to follow this  
c.robertson00

1958 BMW Isetta 300 Restoration

As some of you might remember there was a rusty old Isetta on trademe for sale a little while ago.... Well me and my dad bought it with the intention to restore it.

When we got it is was like this :o It turned out a guy had it sandblasted and then left it outside for a number of years without any paint

After we got it home it got attacked buy an angle grinder with a sanding disk to get all the rust off (this took two days!). It still has a heap of steel behind the rust. It then got pinted with rust killer.

We laid it up for a few weeks then had a crack at getting the top half of the car sorted.

It turned out perfectly! All the holes were patched and boged over.

It then got a coat of lime green paint to see how straight it turned out and here they are. (excuse the runs in the paint lol) The green isnt staying for long either.

Edit: Can someone tell me how to upload more than one pic on this post???

post-2012-1243388126_thumb.jpg

Edited by chris00

Where's the after shots?

Just keep uploading pic then use the drop down box to add each attachement to your post by clicking the green +.

Its taken a while and I have been hopeless at keeping this updated but here are some pictures as it sits now. it has been a massive 3D jigsaw puzzle that didn't have all the pieces. We have had the engine running over the holidays and I was getting the gearbox working. It has the most retarded over complicated linkage in the world! Fortunately there are still a lot of places in the states that sell most of the parts for these. The only issues we have had are finding RHD specific parts such as gear linkages. All of the patch panels were purchased from the UK which were great. The colour might not be everyone's cup of tea but its an original BMW colour.

post-2012-0-14674600-1420671949_thumb.jp

post-2012-0-80797900-1420671965_thumb.jp

post-2012-0-31350700-1420671984_thumb.jp

post-2012-0-30041200-1420671995_thumb.jp

post-2012-0-20998100-1420672009_thumb.jp

post-2012-0-83952000-1420672022_thumb.jp

post-2012-0-64139400-1420672041_thumb.jp

post-2012-0-50644300-1420672056_thumb.jp

post-2012-0-70503700-1420672082_thumb.jp

The door and dashboard are only fitted as a mock up to see how the whole thing goes together. The dog is in there for a size comparison, and its a very small dog!

There isn't too much left to do but as with all projects little things creep up out of no where.

I hope you enjoy,

Cheers,

Chris

• Like 3

Great car, love the colour. Cars like this (and I put the Mini, Fiat 500 in the same category) can be whatever colour you like, so long as they make people smile :)

• Like 1

Awesome project, if anyone doesnt like the colour, punch them right in the mouth, its perfect! ;)

I love the colour - reminds me of a BumbleBee !

I must say that pic with the dog, with the engine cover off reminds me of my days working in a lawnmower repair shop :)

Cool Car , keep up the good work, great to see a car like this saved

Best colour EVAAAAAAR!

That's awesome. If you decide you don't like the colour, just tell me when I can collect it :lol:

What's under the blue tarp, with wheels poking out??????