Sign in to follow this  
bravo

Rampant Phase III

The certifier actually said he possibly would have passed it without one if I hadn't of asked due to the relatively low increase in power (20-30%), but that it was good practice anyway, and that what I had done was spot on.

I did it myself.

50x5mm MSF. I just cut to length (borrowed a drop saw with steel cutting disc), and bent to shape (borrowed a sheet-metal bender). Looks like this: __|'''''''|_ with the d-shaft just above it, and it nestles up into the trans tunnel. After talking with the certifier it was decided that it only had to be a bracket like that, not a loop as it was mainly to stop it spearing into the ground, not tearing through the trans tunnel. I bolted it through the floor with very large flat washers, and m10 g8.8 bolts which next time I have to lift the carpet for something, I'll tack weld the washers and bolt-heads to the floor to make them captive for easy removal of the bracket. I was in a hurry to get the car going so didn't do it before.

Obviously everything got a good coat of paint.

If I ever put loads more power through and a loop is needed I could make a bolt on bracket to loop over the top of the d-shaft.

Only 1 loop required. The d-shaft hanger bearing is considered acceptable on e30 d-shaft to act as one for the rear half.

They need to be as close as possible to the front of the shaft without touching the shaft or guibo under normal driving. Should be as high as possible without touching the shaft. If found just back from the guibo was perfect to get a flat bit of floor away from the chassis rails to bolt through. One side had to be taller than the other as the foot wells are different on either side, and one mounting flange had to be longer than the other to get to the right spot, but was easy - I did it in a morning.

Just read the whole thread now, looked like a fun job, bet it sounds tits!

Just re-read this. That was a fun project. Drove it on Sunday for the first time in years - still puts a huge grin on my face!

• Like 1

Back from the dead Graham