Sign in to follow this  
bravo

Rampant Phase III

Update:

Day 5 & 6

I had some time up my sleeve whilst waiting for parts and a couple of other things, so I decided to modify my factory SA sump guard. It is now SA sump guard LW fuh raze v1.0:

Posted Image

And as some of you may know I shaved several litres and 7odd kg off my sub box install by making it 300mm shorter so it didn't take up the entire width of the boot. Obviously this meant a fair bit of redesign and reporting, but the final result is as follows:

Posted Image

Then my parts etc arrived, so I could get down to business.

So new motor now out of the van, flywheel and clutch installed, gearbox fluids replaced, rear gearbox seal and selector shaft seal replaced, diff fluid changed, box ready to go onto motor:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Plus a few pics of the exciting bits for those interested:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

So motor will go into the car tomorrow night or Saturday (I'm going to a funeral tomorrow so depends on how much we drink at the wake whether I'm in a fit state to use heavy machinery).

Once it's in the real work starts cutting holes for the IC piping and making it all work.

Stay tuned!

Oh, and I know you're all dying to know....

Current beer count: 33

Posted Image

TUI!!!

Great reading mate. Super charging my car is one my wish list atm too, so it'll be great to see how this goes down.

Awesome its coming along well mate

Haha I got given a 15pack for a favour - I intersperse them now and again. it's been 3 weeks and I have 8 to go. The Tuis were also for services rendered, but I don't mind them so much. Summit was on special (plus its pretty good), and Heineken, Grolsch, Stella and Becks are my usuals. Credit crunch plus car bills = cheaper beer for now.

BTW the unlabelled bottle was a macs gold I found in the cow water trough a couple of days ago. Must have been there since the last paddock racing. Cap wasn't rusted, and tasted fine - score!

Are you running the throttle body before the SC like the original toyota setup?? Increasing the size of it??

No.

Filter, AFM, BOV return, S/C, IC, BOV, TB

Stock TB, larger injectors from m30, m30 AFM.

At this stage anywya. Will be tweaking it once it's running eventually running link or similar.

Running RRFPR, and remapped ecu.

No.

Filter, AFM, BOV return, S/C, IC, BOV, TB

Stock TB, larger injectors from m30, m30 AFM.

At this stage anywya. Will be tweaking it once it's running eventually running link or similar.

Running RRFPR, and remapped ecu.

Is it a pretty big BOV / recirculation Valve??

I'm sure you can imagine how much it has to flow when the throttle shuts @6000rpm.

Not to mention if the SC is still drawing & compressing air at a greater rate than the BOV can recirculate it, ie. flow through the AFM = lots of fuel, not much air into the engine.

This is why the toyota's run the TB before the SC and provide an idle bypass (when the SC is switched off) and not a BO/Recirc Valve, and MAP sensors not AFM's.

Looking good dude.

85 beers

Is it a pretty big BOV / recirculation Valve??

I'm sure you can imagine how much it has to flow when the throttle shuts @6000rpm.

Not to mention if the SC is still drawing & compressing air at a greater rate than the BOV can recirculate it, ie. flow through the AFM = lots of fuel, not much air into the engine.

This is why the toyota's run the TB before the SC and provide an idle bypass (when the SC is switched off) and not a BO/Recirc Valve, and MAP sensors not AFM's.

SC shouldn't be drawing too much at closed throttle. But I totally see where you are coming from. Not sure if you know, but this was a working setup in another car. My theory is that I should be able to get it working in my car for fairly limited cost, and then spend the money in the right places to improve it.

From what I know on the subject, and what I know about this system, there are some minor tuning issues.

Whether I can resolve these and leave the TB as it is is yet to be decided. The BOV is fairly large, and has a fairly large (IMO) return line.

Thanks for your comments - definitely food for thought.

Lookin good Graham. Curious about the pulley system, is it a custom front pulley? Or was there a fit from a m50 or something that bolted straight on? Whats the story there?

Edit: What is the tensioner mounted to?

Edited by QuickSilver

Custom front pulley. The powersteer pump is now a few mm further forward - just shimmed up the powersteer pump mounting bolts so it's still inline.

Tensioner mounted to custom SC bracket and is adjustable (obviously).

Edited by bravo

wow, that looks like a LOT of work. Should be awesome.

I think a beer thread is needed!

I don't care about the car.

That was a seriously solid dragon!

But seriously badass work. 103 beers.

Day 7

BMW Special Tool BMW3025 - home made thin-walled 30mm socket for removing flanged nut on gearbox output flange. Thanks to Glenn for showing me his so I could copy. Its a cheaper impact driver that I shaved down.

Posted Image

I managed to fit the oil cooler filter housing from my old motor - had to bend one of the pipes a wee bit to clear the SC, but they perfectly miss the SC piping! Great Success!

Posted Image

And finally - in! Lots to do, but its in its final resting place = win!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Will do more tomorrow.

Beer Count = 39

Edited by bravo

Im loving your car and how its coming along

Nice work dude! :) What PSI wheel are you running again ?

0.4 bar aka 6PSI

Day 8

Busy day mocking up and test fitting everything. Of course everytime I moved something somethign else wouldn't fit.

I finally got the IC lines sorted, but then couldn't fit the oil cooler anywhere without it being a hazard for hitting the ground (bad since it contains the life-blood of the engine). So I got the sump guard to fit (a bit of hammer modification to get it to fit past the SC), and then flipped the oil cooler upside down and reversed the flow direction (swapped lines around) so hot end was still up, and voila!

Anyway, here are pics of the finished mockup - will bolt in place tomorrow and start rewiring and fitting everything else. Still lots of little finishing off to do aswell - rust protecting areas of bare metal, etc.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Somehow I missed pics of the hot side of the IC piping and AFM. Will post tomorrow.

Beer Count= 48