Sign in to follow this  
bravo

Exhaust Heat Wrap

Where can I buy exhaust heat wrap?

What to wrap my intercooler piping.

Cheers. I'll check at Ripco, but if its not super cheap, I'll hit up Segedins - at least their product is likely to be good.

hey Graham, make sure you get some fixings at the same time. Not all wraps include this.

Cheers Andy, I plan to. Could always "Race Tie" it!

We sell it at supercheap... when we have some in stock, but it doesn't come with any way of attaching it... i think its 2inch by 50ft, and around $50 maybe?

Why wouldn't it?

Surely it would work the same as it does when you get your exhaust manifold, turbo housing, head chambers done? 

I thought HPC coating was simply a method of coating for example exhaust systems i.e. the process of baking the paint on which in turn has a much more durable coat which wont chip, flake or burn off?

You need fibreglassed cloth with foil attached. This can be bought in sheets.

You need to stop radiant heat from reaching your cool charge air.

Cloth can be cut into strips wraped onto pipes then alli taped on. looks good works well.

Foreman insulation.

I thought HPC coating was simply a method of coating for example exhaust systems i.e. the process of baking the paint on which in turn has a much more durable coat which wont chip, flake or burn off?

Tis also an insulator.

Marty's had his done, and I think he said it was about a 40% heat retention with the HPC?

Marty's had his done, and I think he said it was about a 40% heat retention with the HPC?

He needs to retain cold air not hot air!

I got some heat wrap. Will let you all know how I think its going once the car is running again.

Hopefully updating my project thread in the next day or so - waiting on some parts (bolts and seals) and getting a tool machined.

My understanding is that proper HPC coatings not powder coatings apply a ceramic layer to the surface of the object being coated.  As the ceramic can be used as an insulator wouldn't it suit the purpose? I know they use cermic tiles on the bottom and leading edges of the space shuttles to protect the shuttle from the heat of re-entry. 

If you had the inside and exterior of the pipe coated you would have two layers of insulation: 1) internally preventing heating of the air from the alloy pipe and 2) externally preventing heating of the alloy pipe from engine bay temps.

Bravo: didn't mean to question what your doing just wondering if it might be a better option, interms of functionality and time/hassle... 

Yeah mate. Never even crossed my mind. I like the discussion - its useful for a change :).

http://hpcoatings.co.nz/turbos.htm

Taken from the website:

Intercooler Pipes

Coating intercooler pipes, inside and outside, will make them look great in your engine bay. The HiPerCoat coating will stop rust from forming on the inside or outside and will keep the cooled air charge cooler.

Edited by DRTDVL

They do some cool stuff - I like the idea of chromed headers that won't discolour, and have better thermal properties as well!

Pity I probably can't justify the expense. $40-80 of heat wrap, although not as pretty is more my budget. It's not exactly a show car.

Had a look as well, and just got my new headers for the E28 today, so guess I may pay them a visit I think.

Had a look as well, and just got my new headers for the E28 today, so guess I may pay them a visit I think.

Have a look at mine of Friday Dave.

A few mates have had their turbos coated. Works a treat. Looks alot better than heat wrap. Heat wrap gets all manky pretty quickly.

But wrapping or coating will give you similar results.