Sign in to follow this  
bravo

Exhaust Heat Wrap

They do some cool stuff - I like the idea of chromed headers that won't discolour, and have better thermal properties as well!

Pity I probably can't justify the expense. $40-80 of heat wrap, although not as pretty is more my budget. It's not exactly a show car.

If i remember correctly - they aren't super expensive either... it was something like 140 or something for a pug manifold a friend was getting done... i can look for the price but it's not much really, espicially when you factor in your time to the equation.

i don't really do things to make them pretty, i prefer them to make my car work better... 

Edited by DRTDVL

The ceramic coatings only come in two sweet colors.

Black and Grey. haha. All other coatings will help reduce temps but no where near as much as the ceramic coating does.

If ceramic paint was so good! Why are there not chilly bins coated in it?

I have had many turbo Jappas, We are talking on this thread intercooled charge. You must insulate to reap benefits.

Think air conditioning, all pipes are lagged or wrapped in insulation, why? to retain temperture.

If ceramic paint was so good! Why are there not chilly bins coated in it?

I have had many turbo Jappas, We are talking on this thread intercooled charge. You must insulate to reap benefits.

Think air conditioning, all pipes are lagged or wrapped in insulation, why? to retain temperture.

coolers: cost of manufacturing, unnessasary for purpose. in a cooler there is a air pocket (void) that works as an insulation barriar and depending on the type of plastics used the thermal conductivity of them can be relativly low thus not absorbing much heat. same way that double glaseing works on houses or server rooms. why nz doesn't have double glaseing it's homes is beyond me.

With air conditioning your looking at a completely different thing. what type of air conditioner are you talking about? a cars air conditioning? Most car's air con pipes aren't insulated, maybe the modern cars but not the old ones. Buildings? they have massive units on the roof that pump air down HVAC ducts that you can (and see in movies) crawl through, they arn't insulated.  And you can get a ceramic blanket - it's spun ceramic much like a fibreglass blanket, we used it to insulate the crucabile at the alloy foundry we had at my old work.

Alot of it comes down to costs. Most industrial insulations are a polymer of some sort. 

I'm not saying ti's better or worse... i was saying it was an option to be looked at. I don't know anyone thats done it to say which works better, i do know how ever that it's much better on exhausts and turbo manifolds. Espically seeing as how heat wrap is known to crack welds.