Sign in to follow this  
Old_Skool_Bmw

Head Unit - What to choose?

Hey guys.

I'm looking for a good quality single-din CD or DVD head unit and looking at all options. What are you guys running? how does it compare? etc

I've only had double-din DVD units for the last year so i'm a little slow on what good single-din stuff is out there at the moment.

Cheers,

Laurence

Agree with you there 3 series, but alpine dvd units are priced accordingly.

Are you looking for a Single din all in one kind of unit? In which the screen slides out and folds up?

Or more of a single din DVD player that has a separate screen?

Another word: Becker!

(PS: original system in many BMWs is Alpine for Business, Professional is Becker)

I'm not too fussed about DVD screens etc..

I'm after a good quality head unit as I will be running 3-way DLS speakers up front. Didn't want to run good quality speakers with average head unit.

Laurencecv

Edited by Old_Skool_Bmw

Ask the same question at NZice PJay is a member there too, and all those guys have their fingers on the pulse when it comes to what deals are going on for good quality gear.

Edit: fixed link

Edited by bravo

What are good alpine models for around $500 ?

I got my new Alpine Head unit for $500

Its a Alpine iDA-X300. Not really what your after since its a Media Centre so that means you plug your ipod in and leave it in the glove box and control it off your Head unit, think you can attach a CD changer but other than that it doesnt play CD's but thats ok because CD's have done thier dash I think

$500?

If you go Alpine, I'd go with the older models 9835, 9855 for $300ish, or if you can stretch a lil out to say $6/700, grab a 9887 and have it tuned professionally.

You could also look into some of the nicer Pioneer units. Especially the P80RS and P80RSII. Very very versatile and oh so sexy.

You should be looking for something that can time align your 3 ways and provide the versatility of controlling your components actively, if you delve down that path. Active DLS components are the sex! My personal fave speaker brand myself :P

I see you're in wellington. The majority of members on NZice that are true knowledgeable buggers about car audio are also in Wellington. They're a very friendly bunch. Jump on the forum and fire that question into them. They're majority Alpine fanboys too :)

$500?

If you go Alpine, I'd go with the older models 9835, 9855 for $300ish, or if you can stretch a lil out to say $6/700, grab a 9887 and have it tuned professionally.

You could also look into some of the nicer Pioneer units. Especially the P80RS and P80RSII. Very very versatile and oh so sexy.

You should be looking for something that can time align your 3 ways and provide the versatility of controlling your components actively, if you delve down that path. Active DLS components are the sex! My personal fave speaker brand myself :P

I see you're in wellington. The majority of members on NZice that are true knowledgeable buggers about car audio are also in Wellington. They're a very friendly bunch. Jump on the forum and fire that question into them. They're majority Alpine fanboys too :)

Go pioneer

all the way

$500?

yeah,

with my last head unit I was able to tune the speakers perfectly.. after the same thing so might have a look at the units you've recommended.

Laurence

I hate Pioneer.

The control button drives me mad, unless you are on a perfectly smooth piece of road it’s very hard to make adjustments, and you’ll need to as the d*ck heads at Pioneer have put all functions under the control of this knob (even pre set radio stations), its oversensitive and makes me question if anyone at Pioneer has ever driven a car.

The IPod interface is also infuriating, it can only jog through the menu one name at a time so if you have a well loaded 80g I-pod like mine, you often don’t find the desired artist until halfway through the trip, and when you do find it you’ll hit a bump and end up back in the main menu.

To top this all off it looks gay and has bulshit themes that flash blue and black all the time detracting you from the road.

This was last year’s second from the top model, I couldn’t stomach the top of the line as it had a colour screen.

Sound quality on the other hand is fantastic, it has good control of both my amps and has pre settable equalisers + a few preloaded sound modes.

Had I not been given it as a present and had I not had an account at Pioneer I would have most defiantly gone with the far superior Alpine product.

The control button drives me mad, unless you are on a perfectly smooth piece of road it’s very hard to make adjustments, and you’ll need to as the d*ck heads at Pioneer have put all functions under the control of this knob (even pre set radio stations), its oversensitive and makes me question if anyone at Pioneer has ever driven a car.

Agree with that, I've got a DEH-P7950UB, the control knob can be a real pain, and the fact that the screen displays only 3 items at a time makes it hard to browse folders on hard drive that I've attached. On the plus side, I'm very happy with the sound quality. And I like the look of it.

Agree with that, I've got a DEH-P7950UB, the control knob can be a real pain, and the fact that the screen displays only 3 items at a time makes it hard to browse folders on hard drive that I've attached. On the plus side, I'm very happy with the sound quality. And I like the look of it.

i have the same headunit and agree with you fully damn you control knob!

Nah, a 9884 Wont do the DLS justice.

9887 is just pure sex

Posted Image

# 3-Way or 2-Way Selectable Digital Crossover

# 6 Channel Digital Time Correction

# IMPRINT Sound Technology

P80RS comes with a mic that does everything automatically so thats a plus

Posted Image

# Auto EQ for 3-way network

# Digital listening position selector

# Auto time alignment

# L/R independent 2-way and 3-way crossover

So I guess the main difference is the branding and the mic. Seriously jump on ICE man. Im a total noobie compared to some of those older geezers

How many times have you accidently back skipped when searching for a artist on your IPod or skipped a song when going for the audio menu!!

Another peeve is the fact it has all the devices you don’t have present in the source menu, why can’t it only display what you have?? It’s a deck anyone older than 15 will have serious trouble relating to.

A member on here was selling one of those P80RS decks not so long ago, maybe hit him up. They were 2k new. Wish I had of gone for one, even if they are down on features.

A member on here was selling one of those P80RS decks not so long ago, maybe hit him up. They were 2k new. Wish I had of gone for one, even if they are down on features.

The P80RS was $899 brand new RRP. The P80RSII was a stuffed up order and Monaco flogged them out at $499. I can't find any real difference between the two except the facia colour. Going price for a P80RS is about $400. One went on TM for $200 a couple of days ago. If you're running ipod you'll need the adaptor which is over $100 (can't remember the price) Sound quality is good but the ipod is slow. I find the P80 quite easy to use. Escape button is a blessing for the wife.

Alpine 9835 was the ducks nuts in its time. Ipod is painfully slow through KCA420i adaptor. The new Alpine full speed ipod is much faster and being just a cable it's way cheaper too. 9887 is an excellent piece of kit but you need to find someone with the Imprint manager kit (unless the retailer has one) to make the most of it.

Over the years I've had Pioneer, Sony, JVC and Kenwood.

JVC is my favourite out of the 4 different brands I've used, Kenwood would be 2nd on my list.

I have used Alpine before, but they were only the stock units which were all tape players, so can't really compare to the others I've had.

[edit] currently using a JVC KD-G631

not exactly top of the line, but for a cheapish headunit it seems to do the trick quite nicely

Edited by Wom

CD43.

All the others are gonna look like crap.

thanks for the comments guys,

Definately looking at alpine.. as I have heard a lot of good things about their products but never had any alpine gear.

Will keep you updated when I make the purchase as to which model I go with.

Laurence