Sign in to follow this  
moe

m62 into e46

have fitted a m62 4.4 into e46 coupe for open class in the race series and want to run it on the original dme,does any one know where to find wiring diagrams for ignition and ews,i have all the original gear from the donor car.i would be grateful for any help cheers

You would need a WDS (oops) disc so that you can check wiring diagrams of both vehicles by specific chassis #. I think you may have problems with canbus though and you might have to go Link.

All I can say is research, research, research... it probably has been done...very expensive though

Edited by *Glenn*

Mike, get in touch with Jochen.

does any one know where to find wiring diagrams for ignition and ews,

Google "BMW WDS"

thanks i will give it a go

wow what a complicated system,good info though,i have lots of homework to do now,thanks for the help

wow what a complicated system,good info though,i have lots of homework to do now,thanks for the help

You might need very deep pockets as well

have fitted a m62 4.4 into e46 coupe for open class in the race series and want to run it on the original dme,does any one know where to find wiring diagrams for ignition and ews,i have all the original gear from the donor car.i would be grateful for any help cheers

As I see it, the only way the M62 engine will run properly in the E46 is if you do the following:

Fit all these items from the donor vehicle (that had the M62 engine) into the E46:

DME (obvious)

EWS (need it so DME will start engine, otherwise immobiliser kicks in)

Associated EWS parts like key, ring antenna etc

IKE instrument cluster (otherwise the instrument cluster won't show correct data from E46 eg different RPM, data, oil pressure display etc)

You'll have other challenges:

How do you get the IKE speed to work properly with the ABS pulses from the E46?

How the DME will run without the right data from the rest of the car I don't know

How the EWS will run without the right data from the GM I don't know.

As I see it, the only way the M62 engine will run properly in the E46 is if you do the following:

Fit all these items from the donor vehicle (that had the M62 engine) into the E46:

DME (obvious)

EWS (need it so DME will start engine, otherwise immobiliser kicks in)

Associated EWS parts like key, ring antenna etc

IKE instrument cluster (otherwise the instrument cluster won't show correct data from E46 eg different RPM, data, oil pressure display etc)

You'll have other challenges:

How do you get the IKE speed to work properly with the ABS pulses from the E46?

How the DME will run without the right data from the rest of the car I don't know

How the EWS will run without the right data from the GM I don't know.

spent 8 hours on wiring and now have the eng cranking with injector pulse,fuel pump working,power at the coils,all this with the ews being bypassed, ineed to finish the oil system completly so i can start it . with the dme giving those signals i am hoping it will be enough to fire,got the speedo cluster working too ,that wds info is great could not have got this far without it

Sounds like a great conversion, put some pics up if you can.

I thought the open class rules did not let you put an engine into a chassis with more cylinders than they came from the factory with, ie. E46 only came with 4 & 6 Cyl engines, so only BMW 4 & 6 Cyl engines could be used!?!?!

Or have the rules changed??

Sounds like a great conversion, put some pics up if you can.

I thought the open class rules did not let you put an engine into a chassis with more cylinders than they came from the factory with, ie. E46 only came with 4 & 6 Cyl engines, so only BMW 4 & 6 Cyl engines could be used!?!?!

Or have the rules changed??

I'm guessing it's some sort of GTR replica.

I was going to ask if the M3 GT-R was able to be used as a work around for this rule? I'm assuming it can as it would seem a lot of work to have done only to find the proper research hadn't been done to begin with.

yep its a gtr replica,full flossman body kit ,there is already a v8 e46 racing in the open class,m5 eng,std body though it sounds great too

yep its a gtr replica,full flossman body kit ,there is already a v8 e46 racing in the open class,m5 eng,std body though it sounds great too

Moe. That car was built by Andy Culpin at Race FX. He may have some good info for you even though the motor and box are ex E39M5.

Moe. That car was built by Andy Culpin at Race FX. He may have some good info for you even though the motor and box are ex E39M5.

thanks i have talked to andy,he has been very helpful

got it all going, it sounds fantastic ,took it for a quick spin down the road the torque is awesome ,just like driving on wet grass, have 18 x 10s and still not much grip.thanks for the web info guys i could not have done it otherwise ,cheers

Full credit.... but where the pictures!?

just need to work out how to post them,im good with spanners not computers, maybe later today

go to www.photobucket.com and make a profile/album/register

In your photobucket album hit "browse" and locate the pic in your pc that you want to post. Upload it, not too big. Then when it appears in your album copy the 4th URL down labeled "IMG code". It will start with .

Then come back here, open up a reply box and copy the link in. Repeat for multiple pictures.

That will make it so pics appear in your post, if you want them to appear as clickable attachments below your posts the option is just under the text box when you hit reply.

Here are some pictures, (attached), I'll add some newer ones next week.

post-1817-1240621649_thumb.jpg

post-1817-1240621838_thumb.jpg

post-1817-1240621975_thumb.jpg

post-1817-1240622101_thumb.jpg

That some huge ass exhaust piping! Leaving little room for the drivehaft?

yea ,it all fits with a heat shield aswell,the diff is z3 with torsion centre,it hooks up good and unloads on decelleration exit pipe is 3"

yea ,it all fits with a heat shield aswell,the diff is z3 with torsion centre,it hooks up good and unloads on decelleration exit pipe is 3"

I should proberly know this but what do you mean "unload" on decelleration?

under power both wheels drive,when the power is off the diff unloads and gives the feeling of an open diff,it wont push you into a turn like a clutch lsd

Oh yeah, is that really a bonus?