Sign in to follow this  
rasumadu

m40b18 to m20b25

hey guys, kind of a n00b in this bmw world as i havent really had my e30 for all that long but i'm happy to learn...i've started to experience issues with the engine and gearbox inside my 318i so now i'm lookin to do a swap and more notably it's going from auto to manual.

the engine i've found is the m20b25 and when i messaged the seller, according to him it apparently comes with 'everything' to do the swap but all i know is that it comes with loom, getrag 250 gearbox, hoses, heavy duty clutch and slave cylinder (stated on his advert) but i'm just wondering if anyone has done this swap before or knows of the other parts that i would need so that i can ask him if its included or he has them available.

so apart from the obvious like engine mounts, tranny mounts, pedal box and i think driveshafts, ecu and radiator (i think), anything else you know of? i would just like to make the swap as seamless as possible and any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Edited by rasumadu

The Getrag will (hopefully) be a 260... that's the box you need.

Have you also thought of suspension and brakes etc? With a heavier engine you'll need to upgrade to 6 cylinder shocks and springs and also upgrade the brakes (318's run rear drums) to handle hauling the extra weight to a stop.

F/l 318's are mostly disk rear. You need the whole shooting match from the radiator to the driveshaft, plus all the intake side and the exhaust, as well as front suspension.

F/l 318's are mostly disk rear. You need the whole shooting match from the radiator to the driveshaft, plus all the intake side and the exhaust, as well as front suspension.

thanks mark & silver fox, does that mean i wont need to upgrade the brakes? and i believe the 6cyl shocks are 51mm? ok...stupid question coming but what do you mean by shooting match? i'm a n00b at this remember lol...so i'm just looking to compile a list of parts to ask the seller about...i've prepared myself to accept that it wont have everything but i just need to know what to ask him about.

i've decided to add pics so u guys know what i'll b possibly dealing with, hopefully that will help.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

You will need to change the diff as well... I have a very good 3.64:1 ratio one here. Its an open diff not LSD $250

ok so diff to the list...i'm in oz so that might b a bit costly with shipping...can't even express how peeved i am at the cost of parts in oz compared to overseas

You dont NEED to change the diff, you dont NEED to change the suspension. It will work with out it.

you saying i can use the diff in the auto? the suspension part intrigues me as i have dropped in a Euro Tuning sports shock and springs kit into the car less than 3k ago so without having to spend another $900 on suspension would b a plus

you saying i can use the diff in the auto? the suspension part intrigues me as i have dropped in a Euro Tuning sports shock and springs kit into the car less than 3k ago so without having to spend another $900 on suspension would b a plus

What ratio is your present diff ??

A 4 cylinder is lighter than the 6 and the front suspension will be lower and will react differently to the 4

You dont NEED to change the diff, you dont NEED to change the suspension. It will work with out it.

:ph34r: It might work... but do the job properly ? No

i believe the current diff ratio is 4.10

Youll need at least a 3.64 or taller depending on what your going to use it for

Youll need at least a 3.64 or taller depending on what your going to use it for

ok so diff is back on the list...its a daily cruiser really...no track or drifting...as to the suspension, would it be possible to just change the front shocks or rear as well? since the springs are already strengthened (thicker than the standard 4cyl springs)

Edited by rasumadu

ok so diff is back on the list...its a daily cruiser really...no track or drifting...as to the suspension, would it be possible to just change the front shocks or rear as well? since the springs are already strengthened (thicker than the standard 4cyl springs)

Rears will be OK ...just wait till youve got it in and up and running

Rears will be OK ...just wait till youve got it in and up and running

ok thanks Glenn, well i figure you guys on here are definitely the experts so what you say is what i'll adhere to as long as there is a consensus, effectively i can do the whole 6cyl upgrade and sell the 4cyl kit currently on there

ok thanks Glenn, well i figure you guys on here are definitely the experts so what you say is what i'll adhere to as long as there is a consensus, effectively i can do the whole 6cyl upgrade and sell the 4cyl kit currently on there

At the end of the day, you might only have to do a front spring change...wait till youve got the new motor in and then decide

Once you have it all in and going, you WILL WANT to change the springs to somethign better suited to the extra weight and you will find you WILL WANT to change the diff ratio to something better suited to the added torque of the 6.

320Guy is right in saying you don't NEED to, and Glenn is right in saying you should. I would wait until it is in and look at your funds. You may want to put aftermarket springs and shocks in and do it once, do it properly, or you may want to save money and use second hand items.

Same with the diff, you may want to spring for an LSD, or may only be able to afford to keep what you have or just get a different ratio.

Besides, susp. and diff is not hard to change with the motor in - not a lot you'd have to dismantle twice anyway.

Check you have disk brakes on the back, and then focus on getting the motor in and going.

Also, legally, as you are going from a 4cyl to a 6cyl of greater capacity, you would legally need a LVV cert. You may or may not get away without one at WOF time, and at the very least your insurance company should know.

Just food for thought.

WOF ? LVV ? .....hes in Aussie Graham :P

lol true...u guys seem to have a few legal requirements across the tasman...here once the engine is in u just need to get an engineering cert (same for u guys i believe) and then just get the engine details updated on your registration..yes i do have discs on the rear...i will try and document the engine swap if all goes to plan..therz been some great info and i thank u all Edited by rasumadu

Where are you mate? I can get wicked, wicked prices on bmw parts in Perth (Imparts).

Oh true,

I hear the rules are actually stiffer on your side of the ditch, esp in vic.????

Anyway, rest of what I said applies.

Oh true,

I hear the rules are actually stiffer on your side of the ditch, esp in vic.????

Anyway, rest of what I said applies.

i'm in ACT so the rules are not as strict, yeh Vic has some ridiculous automotive laws.

Where are you mate? I can get wicked, wicked prices on bmw parts in Perth (Imparts).

i'm in canberra man, thats sweet, if i need something i'll definitely hit u up :)...we have ZERO bmw wreckers here, it's laughable really!

I also have a friend working @ Auto Classic BMW spare parts in Perth... sing out if you would like his email addy