Sign in to follow this  
laadeelaa

Guess what, my gear box died.

Hey all,

SUPRISE SUPRISE!

Haven't driven it all last weekend, jumped into it sunday night to drive to supermarket and it was having problems changing up from i think the 3rd gear? It's weird because I haven't had any problems with it until then. So why would it throw a sh*tty al of a sudden? I had to slow down because I was scared it was gonna blow up or something.

It sounded really loud (the engine) whilst driving, and it wasn't speeding up very easily.

Arrrgh!!

Not too sure what's wrong, and I don't really feel the motivation to drive it back to Tauranga to get it sussed.

I've been told to take it to a guy on Commerce street in Hamilton, as he'd have a look at it.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on what may be wrong with it.

P.s If I got my car plugged into that computer thingy to find faults, would it show up???

Thanks.

Edited by lady525

Betcha you've cracked the auto box and lost the fluid. Any sign of fluid underneath the gearbox? You'll need to get it looked at obviously.

There has been some clear water leaking out of my car for awhile?? That couldn't be it??

Could it be the water pump instead? Pretty sure motors go loud as when water pumps blow..mine did. And that would screw the motor stopping it going into gear?

Or it could be the box...im no expert.

Get it checked by a pro

Do you check the Radiator, is it losing water?

A guy on commerce street, being Carspot?

Go in and see Greg he will sort you out, helpful guy and will hopefully find out whats wrong and explain things to you and you can see what you want to do from there. hopefully it's no biggy but the sooner you take in the better..

There has been some clear water leaking out of my car for awhile?? That couldn't be it??

Emily, the clear water could just simply be your air con draining condensation... depends where its coming from under the car. The radiator is what keeps your motor cool (You put your water and coolant in it)

What's a radiator??

April Fool?s Day :rolleyes:

Yeah, Greg was his name. If dad can't sort it tonight I'll take it to him tomorrow.

Hope it makes it.

I don't know what a radiator is?

Yeah. So what?

Hopefully it isn't something that is gonna be too costly, cos I can't live without driving. I couldn't even properly go shopping today!

Cos surely if it's real bad, and say I needed a new gearbox, it couldn't have packed up while just sitting there?

Probably best not to do too much shopping before you know whats wrong with the car $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Probably best not to do too much shopping before you know whats wrong with the car $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Fair enough!

The water is condensation from the air con I'm pretty sure. I saw that last time I was under the car. Only happens after being driven. Its not there before being driven. Tasted it too, was definitely water.

Ill say what Glenns probably going to. Get it scanned by someone with Brains :D

Hope its not the same thing that happened to mine. Burnt out bands or something, and something snapped and broke something else and f**ked the whole thing over. Cost $2300 for a recon

It may have gone into limp mode...due to the fact that the camshaft position sensor is faulty...or have you had that fixed yet ?

It may have gone into limp mode...due to the fact that the camshaft position sensor is faulty...or have you had that fixed yet ?

That's been fixed the other week

That's been fixed the other week

Its possible that the crankshaft position sensor has now failed and its gone into limp mode still. This quite often happens. Fix one sensor and another fails. Thats why we store all fault codes on a PDF file for proof of engine fault diagnosis. She will still need it scanned again. Hope for her sake its not the transmission. Did they fit a new sensor or 2nd hand ?? and did they clear the fault codes & adaptions ??

Its possible that the crankshaft position sensor has now failed and its gone into limp mode still. This quite often happens. Fix one sensor and another fails. Thats why we store all fault codes on a PDF file for proof of engine fault diagnosis. She will still need it scanned again. Hope for her sake its not the transmission. Did they fit a new sensor or 2nd hand ?? and did they clear the fault codes & adaptions ??

That would suck. I'm unsure about the latter questions. I'd hope it was a new one as per your recommendation

Glenn, I'm pretty sure I got a new one, well I hope.

Rolled (and I actually mean rolled, haha) up to Carspot this morning, just hoping i'll get off easy, with something that isn't too major.

*crosses fingers, and toes.*

Update!

Well to my understanding, someone has taken a leak in my petrol tank, well that's what my Mum has interpreted over the phone from Autospot who told her. Or milk.

Go on guys. Fall off your chairs laughing.

I just think it's a mother f**king ratsh*t thing to do.

I agree....not a very nice thing to do to somebody....hope its not going to cost much to fix :(

If it's enough it'll be an insurance claim through dad.

Haven't been able to use my car in a week now.

That culprit needs to be shot!